New to the community!

Options
Hello all! My name is Amber, I've used this app before a little, but that was a few years ago and I never used the community boards. I lost weight 2-3 years ago and then slowly gained it back. Now I need to change my life while dealing with my schedule and stresses. 2-3 years ago I had no stress and all the time in the world. Not so much anymore.

So I don't know what to say, I am in my 20's out on my own for the first time. I work about 30 or more hours (usually 11 hour days) plus go to school. I will go to school this summer and then fall again all while working. I am finding time to exercise limited and tracking food difficult. Life seems overwhelming, sometimes I think "how do I do anything?" Other times I find myself very lazy. I have no workout partner or support. Sure the mental "good for you, you can do it" is there....but none of my family or friends live near me. No one has my goals and all have less motivation then I do. I am pretty good at tackling life without constant support..except with this....I feel defeated before even beginning.

I have taken steps, I have a scale for food and for my body weight. I lowered my drinking alcohol amount by a lot, but didn't cut it out. I don't buy cookies or ice cream or any frozen foods or much packaged food. I try to keep it whole. I dont eat fast food, my worst thing is eating out. Typically I ration my food in multiple meals. I am just feeling overwhelmed and stressed.

How do people find workout partners or go to weight watchers meetings? They always conflicted with my schedule. I just feel "ugh!". :( So overwhelmed!

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber!!! I'm Tim.

Well, I don't go to weight watchers meetings or have a workout partner. I think that it is important to find motivation within yourself. Though, if I am being honest, I also derive motivation from my friends here on MFP. I am friends with quite a few serious lifters and seeing their progress always motivates me to go do my best.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's definitely hard doing school, work, and finding time to workout. Then there's planning your meals, going to meetings and so forth.

What you need to do first is make dates with yourself, you will take thirty minutes to a hour however many times a week to workout, just your time. Use people on here as your workout partners if you can, try for online WW - there are groups on MFP I believe that do WW that could help!

It's definitely difficult, but do-able. I'm in the same boat!
  • wheird
    Options
    Hi, it's definitely hard doing school, work, and finding time to workout. Then there's planning your meals, going to meetings and so forth.

What you need to do first is make dates with yourself, you will take thirty minutes to a hour however many times a week to workout, just your time. Use people on here as your workout partners if you can, try for online WW - there are groups on MFP I believe that do WW that could help!

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Something to get you started. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I lose about 0.7 pounds per week and I'm OK with it. I also wear a fitbit and try to walk 10000 steps per day. I made a commitment to stay on MFP plan for one year and then either go on maintenance or continue onward and downward. I try to preplan my meals and stay within my calorie goal. Good luck!
  • silencioesoro
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!
  • mzkolor
    mzkolor Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey Amber & Tim! I agree with Tim about motivating yourself but it does help to have someone else's inspiration from time to time:) Also, prepping your food for the week helps too! I'm currently doing the 21 day fix which has definitely helped my eating habits. I was eating healthy before but it helped me plan and portion my food out because you can over eat on healthy food:)
  • wheird
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!

You missed my joke. :cry:
  • alleycat41
    alleycat41 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    my name is alley and I'm a mother to two vivacious boys aged 14 and 9 that keep me on my toes. I was brought to this site by a friend who has had great success with it. I'm 32 years old. I was pretty small most of my life but then I moved to Georgia where I didn't really know anyone and found myself getting isolated and depressed so i turned to food for comfort and now I am the biggest I have ever been in my life. I looked in the mirror one day and realized that I didn't recognize my own reflection anymore..I just didn't look like me. I couldn't believe I had let myself get this bad so I decided to make a change and now here I am. I have tried diets before without much success because I have a hard time with motivation and will power. I am looking to make a positive change in my life and maybe regain my lost confidence.
  • wheird
    Options
    Hey Amber & Tim! I agree with Tim about motivating yourself but it does help to have someone else's inspiration from time to time:) Also, prepping your food for the week helps too! I'm currently doing the 21 day fix which has definitely helped my eating habits. I was eating healthy before but it helped me plan and portion my food out because you can over eat on healthy food:)

I do -some- prepping, but not too much, as my tastes my vary from day to day. One thing that helps on the prep side is having baggies of boiled, shredded chicken in the fridge that I can take out and eat or take with me to work.
  • silencioesoro
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!

Daaaaw, forgive a girl for being a bit slow on the uptake?
  • silencioesoro
    Options
    I almost never prep, I'm a mood eater. I only try to prep for my meals on the days I have class in the evenings, but that's pretty much as far as I go.
  • wheird
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!

I'm struggling to make an innuendo of this. I sense it is there, but I'm having trouble putting it together.
  • silencioesoro
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!

I'm struggling to make an innuendo of this. I sense it is there, but I'm having trouble putting it together.

Hahaha! Just... let it go. First one was free.
  • wheird
    Options

Definitely do-able.

Wait...what?

I know, imagine that!

Hahaha! Just... let it go. First one was free.

forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png
  • silencioesoro
    Options
    aaaand we're awesome at hijacking threads! haha.
  • wheird
    Options
    aaaand we're awesome at hijacking threads! haha.

I've been on vacation for two weeks. I have a lot of pent-up hijacking that I need to get out of me.
  • berburrybear
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses, and the hijacking! I know it's do-able it's just overwhelming. I need to track, I need to figure out how much I'm eating, but tracking all those ingredients seems daunting. And very time consuming. I already don't focus on my classes like I should, then when I track or post on this I feel like I am being distracted as always.

I decided to post in hopes of finding motivation through the community and help with things since no one around me helps. Hopefully that will give me the motivatoon and drive to change things and not try the easy routes.