Should I find a new doctor? Help.

Options
Hi. I've been trying to lose weight for a very long time. I lost some so far but I have about 50 more to lose but no matter what I do, the weight still comes off much slower than it should so a few friends of mine told me to see a doctor for it.
The doctor told me that Phentermine could help speed up the process but she claimed she couldn't write me a prescription because of so called "state regulations". Instead, she gave me the pills in a little bottle and told me I have to come back every 2 weeks to get them directly from her because it's "illegal to give more than 2 weeks worth of a controlled substance".

Now... I know for a fact that this is not true because I know several friends who get a prescription for it every month and pick it up from the pharmacy so I feel that this doctor's method is giving Phentermine seems a little suspicious to me.

So this will end up costing me $80 every 2 weeks which comes out to $160 a month which is pretty expensive when you compare it to the $15 my friends are paying for their monthly prescription.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of it done this way or not because I'm very skeptical. I don't feel too comfortable about carrying around a bottle of pills I don't have a prescription for.

Also, there's a few other things I really find strange about this doctor. The first time I went she barely spoke to me for more than 5 minutes and handed me some papers about her weight loss plan, which included totally ridiculous "meal options" such as "one hard boiled egg" for breakfast or half a head of lettuce with no dressing for dinner... Just completely unrealistic eating. I don't need help knowing how to make better meal choices because I've been able to figure that out on my own since I've been trying to lose weight but I still can't believe doctors are still enforcing these insanely restricted diet plans with patients.

Then she told me to come back a week later after she got the results of my blood work so she could give me the phentermine but when I got there, she was pretty rude to me and made a remark about how I "ONLY lost 3 pounds" and told me to cut out bread/starch completely and drop my calorie intake to 700!!!!

I'm sorry but losing 3 pounds in a week isn't too shabby so I don't really appreciate having my success being minimized like that... and I find it really unhealthy to suggest someone eats only 700 calories a day.

Sorry for the long post but... I just want to know if I'm overreacting about this situation or if I should take my friends advice to find a new doctor. Thank you for reading.

Replies

• DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi CeeNoelle. It sounds like you might already know the answer to your question. If it was me in your position I would definitely find a different doctor. The one you're seeing at the moment sounds pretty suspicious and it sounds like she's making you feel really uncomfortable. Have you checked to see if she's actually registered with the AMA?
  • CeeNoelle
    Options
    @MrM27 I agree with you and I've been trying that. Already lost a lot of weight so far.. I stopped most of my bad eating habits and go to the gym 2 times a week. I just wanted to find out if there was some kind of medical reason for why I lose weight at a slower rate than most because that's possible. And.. I would much rather prefer a doctor who gave more specific guidance on this than telling me to practically starve myself and take a bunch of pills.
  • CeeNoelle
    Options
    @DeeDeeMee Nope, I haven't done that. I'll definitely look into that though.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Your doc sounds like a medical law-breaking quack. Under the table meds sounds TOTALLY legit... I would run away.. FAST.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you've lost a lot of weight so far, I'd encourage you to keep doing what's working. Patience isn't a bad thing. If you do choose to go the prescription route, it sounds like your instincts are right. I'd look for another doctor. You need someone who you can have a working relationship with, not someone who shoves papers at you. And for sure (!!!) one who does not sell prescription drugs out of the office.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Wow- I'd run from that doctor! She's giving you medicine without a prescription, she's getting you to come back far more frequently than necessary- either overcharging you or your insurance for extra visits, and you don't sound comfortable with her. She sounds like a nightmare, and I agree with the suggestion to check and see whether she's even licensed. If she is, I'd call the licensing board and chat with them about your experiences.

Find a good family practice person that listens to you and you feel comfortable talking with. Perhaps run some basic bloodwork to make sure everything is working normally (kidneys, liver, insulin, thyroid, etc).
  • CeeNoelle
    Options
    Yeah I've really never heard of a doctor selling pills out of their office. I mean how the hell do I even know if they're the actual pills?
    I haven't even taken them so I pretty much paid for nothing...

oh and FYI.. I forgot to mention this but after she gave me the pills, she hands me a waiver to sign saying I understand the risks/side effects but then she just said "okay bye see you in 2 weeks" without even discussing it with me or anything.

Soooo based on her logic, they're such a "serious controlled substance" that I can't get more than 2 weeks worth BUT yet she's allowed to hand them out without any warnings or info whatsoever? It's just all so strange.

Not only do I not want to go back but I want to report her.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    :drinker: That S4 drug should only be used in combination with :smile: exercise, diet, and behavioral modification.

That out of the way 30 minutes brisk walk suppresses the appetite and is a lot cheaper than $160 a month.

Try and get an appointment with a dietician and talk through the issues. Your right to say totally unrealistic food goals is stupidity at best and at worst criminal advice since it will lead to long term health issues including mental.:drinker: :heart: :smile:

you sound to me as though you have just about got it together. Hang in. 1 kg a week ( 2.2lbs) equates to a lot of excess gone in 6 months.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Definitely report her!

I hope you find a great doctor that can help you be as healthy as possible.
  • CeeNoelle
    Options
    @kerbsideat66 Yeah, I agree. The "healthy" lifestyle she's promoting isn't any better than being overweight.