what keeps you motivated?

Options

Replies

• alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    feeling and looking ok; more energy; nice food (but in smaller portions of everything);more clothes choice and nicer clothes;

falling off - stressed; depressed ...but I try not to beat myself up and to jump back on!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    When I first started, my boyfriend motivated me because he started at the same time as me and he is so focussed.

Now I actually don't need motivation. I found running, and turns out I'm good at it and enjoy it. It takes no motivation at all to get myself out of bed at 6am and go for a run, or throw on my gear as soon as I get in from work and head out. I enjoy it so much.

The food bit I actually find quite easy, and my activity level gives me enough of a cushion that I can eat what I want and lose at a steady rate.
  • joeboo81
    joeboo81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My real motivation is my girls. I want to be alive to walk them down the aisle on their wedding days.
    Not going to lie though, the want to take my shirt off and not be embarrassed by a flabby stomach and man boobs is a good motivator as well.
  • donnamar1
    Options
    After many years of yo-yo dieting, I want to eat the right foods, and become more active so I can keep up with my young grandchildren and of course, look and feel good! This forum makes me more accountable to myself and reading the comments of others is definitely motivating!
  • felicitykicksbutt
    Options
    The biggest one for me is my congenital heart disease. I was born with transposition of the great arteries. I've had 4 open heart surgeries, and 8 catheterizations. When I received the Melody valve, I was the youngest person in the world to receive it (it didn't even actually have a proper name when I got it - it was referred to as a bovine valve). Since the Melody valve was implanted, I have been warned that if I don't maintain a healthy weight, my heart will have to work more and I'll be required to have more surgeries than a healthy person would. Since I started this fitness journey, I've been hitting milestones that my cardiologists told my parents I'd never be able to do when I was younger (including starting Couch to 5k).
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh come on! For women...SEX! SEX SEX SEX keeps us motivated, and looking good doing it. Why is that so hard to admit! It is fun, so let's roll with it!

This!!!!! And to look good naked :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Ironically setting a never-have-reached goal keeps me going, with lots of frustration and depression, of course but I have never stopped trying new stuff.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like signing up for races, as they help focus my training.

as far as motivation, there really isn't much. sure, in the beginning i was motivated and fired up to hit the gym or go for a run, but now exercising is part of my life. i love doing it, even when i don't.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The thought of wearing my jeans again. I've been wearing stretchy yoga pants constantly for the past 2 years because my bum is too big for jeans!
  • harthron
    harthron Posts: 68
    Options
    My kids motivate me. I want to live a long life and see great grand children.
  • givingitmybest
    givingitmybest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's helped for me to let everyone I am around know what my goals are with weight loss and nutrition. On top of that, with great support and a desire to live a healthy life, I have not "fallen off the wagon", but if I do, I'll run to catch back up and get back on ASAP.
  • alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Not difficult, just not the main motivation !
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am motivated by the fact that a close family member will need a kidney transplant and I am an excellent match but I'm still about 30 lbs too heavy.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The thought of having a positive image of myself for the first time since I was a little kid. I was a confident little one in elementary school and had lots of friends to show for it. By the time I was in middle school, my weight was getting out of hand. I was practically a social outcast. I was the one who sat in the corner in my own little world.
  • Rachifloon
    Rachifloon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't want to shy away from a camera. I don't want to have a glimpse of myself in a shop window and feel disgusted. I want to wear cute clothes and be light and springy in my step. I want to feel GOOD and know that I look it too!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    MOTIVATION! DEDICATION! What gets you there? What keeps you there? And have you noticed a pattern when you "fall off the wagon"?

I started my fitness quest in early 2013 but didn't join MFP until November. My quest involves mind and body. Weight loss has played a very minor role in that I was within my healthy range to begin with and the loss has come with increased activity. My motivation has been the positive changes in my life. I wake up and feel good! On the vanity side, I finally broke down and bought new jeans (size 4P) because I couldn't keep my old ones pulled up but now those are too big so I'm sliding quickly into size 2P! I know, shallow but those size 2P are a great motivator for me right now :laugh:

I haven't noticed any kind of pattern as far as falling off the wagon because I've been focusing on total lifestyle changes not just weight loss. I think it would be very, very easy for me to go back to being quite sedentary though.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My kids are big motivators. They want to go-go-go all the time, and I want to be there with them. My 5 year old is even leading me in "exercising" sometimes, she is my biggest motivation. I want to be healthy for her, be a good role model and teach her a healthy lifestyle than than the one I was raised on.

My husband is another. I want to actually believe him when he says I'm sexy. And I want to be on his arm at the Marine Corps ball, wearing a sexy dress that flaunts rather than hides my shape.

Other than my family, just seeing the changes in my body are a HUGE motivation. I'm more comfortable in my clothes, my natural muffin top is shrinking, my thighs are slimming down. My energy level is up, and my usually 5pm meltdown has become quite rare. I'm getting a stronger, and only needing to puff of my inhalor rather than 3 during my workouts. I'm actually satisfied with only a 1/2 cup of ice cream, rather than needing a whole pint. I'm loving myself more than I ever have
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs and have maintained it for 2 years. My motivation is that I never want to be fat again. It is so much easier to get dressed in the morning and not worry if my butt looks big in these pants, does this dress hide my hips well, etc. I feel good, I look good, and I don't want to lose this feeling.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The changes that I have gone through so far!! And not wanting to go back to where I was. In a nutshell, I lost 50lbs and I don't want it back, LOL.

Never want to be that person again.
  • Better sex keeps me motivated...