Newbie in Toronto

Options
Hey all,
I'm a newb in Toronto.
I'm a computer geek by trade, a photographer as a hobby. I spend a lot of time listening to music and writing about it.

I've been gaining weight for a long time. Never really been too much of a problem. Never liked it though. Want to eat better, want to be able to buy clothes at normal stores, just edging north of those limits though.

I'm hoping to change my eating habits. Trying hard to change my eating habits.

This first week has been really easy, but I'm thinking about it non-stop. I want to make it so that logging everything will be second nature.

I was worried about gathering with friends and eating out, but I did that on Tuesday, and I just planned ahead for it, and it was easy. Had wings... delicious, delicious wings. Just ate extra healthy the rest of the day (was way over the sodium limit that day, but that's it).

I am worried for the Passover seders that are coming up. That's a lot of food. Perhaps I'll do nice long walks during those days.

I could use friends. So hit me up. Would be cool to talk to fellow Torontonians (let's ignore our mayor).

Adam

Replies

• tabbih1
    tabbih1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Adam,

Not from Toronto, from Calgary, but hello regardless.

I started tracking a year ago, but fell off the wagon pretty fast since I didn't have anyone to do it with.

I'm currently a university student, work part time, and usually by the time I get home I want to grab something fast and sleep. That will probably be the biggest obstacle for me to overcome.

Hobby wise I have a saltwater fish tank, and set it up after deciding I was done with playing computer games.

Good luck with your weight loss! Being able to eat out with friends and keep to the diet is a big deal.

Tabitha
  • sheenashe10
    Options
    I don't live in Toronto but in Brampton. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    Saskatchewan here. Add me eh? :)
  • netanyatrue
    Options
    Hi there! I'm from Vancouver do you mind?! I can also speak little Hebrew LOLs (hubby is fluent though). Welcome to MFP and have a smooth weight loss journey!
  • a_frayn
    a_frayn Posts: 7
    Options
    You're all so nice, hi guys!
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Mississauga Ont, here add me if you like, and FORD ROCKS! I would move back to TO just to vote ! :)
  • mrbonnell1988
    Options
    Also looking for friends here. 2nd time user I was where I wanted to be but Because of. Car wreck and heavy duty medication I am starting from square one add me I need friends
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hello!

How about an american over the Lake in MI?

Its all about new habits. It takes a bit, but you CAN do it, especially when the desire to change is stronger than the desire to stay the same!

Congrats on going out and still doing ok.

I'm sure you will find a way to work with the holiday too. We're not all perfect with those times, but its about being ok if / when we go over and picking back up and continuing on healthy ways afterwards. Don't let one bad meal/day or week make it a bad lifestyle again.

Nancy
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    toronto here!

just ask for your wine cup to filled with a splash... that in itself will eat up your calories! i think the seders will probably be super calorie dense, but you can also make sure that you just choose wisely for the whole week in general. i would lay off the matza-- we usually do lots of rotisserie chicken, and basically go low carb for that week.

- ilana
  • a_frayn
    a_frayn Posts: 7
    Options
    For the rest of the week, I don't keep kosher, so it's just the two seders. WOO!

Hi fellow Torontonian.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i havent kept it for the last three (??) years haha badddd... haha well you cant still make it up during the week. poke around on the forums-- theres lots of info about caring more about your weekly totals than your daily. some people do the 5:2 intermittent fasting etc. you might want to just make sure you are good for the week leading up to and the week after, and then two days won't matter in the grand scheme of things. i will be making room for matza brie though ;)