Leg Cramps OUCH!!

Options
I have started getting cramps in my calves over the past week. Usually occurs in the night, any idea what may be the cause?

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, sodium loss, low potassium/magnesium intake are some possibilities
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but i've been having the same problem! its been a little better lately, and the things that i changed were resting more (im usually on my feet just about all day) and watching my sodium intake. idk if those relate to you at all, but maybe it'll help.
  • franknorvig
    Options
    It's very common when you're doing LCHF, KETO or other low carb diets. Your body need more sodium/potassium/magnesium. You can get it through suppliments but easiest and cheapest way is probably with some broth.

If you search for low carb and leg cramps you'll get a ton of results.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If I start getting crampy I add more stretching and some oranges or grapefruit (good potassium, magnesium, calcium source).
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that leg cramps and charlie horses are due to low magnesium. Its the reason an Epsom salts bath after a vigorous exercise makes a difference. You can buy a supplement, or take the bath for the same results. There are also lists online for high magnesium foods but you would have to eat alot of them to get immediate results- diet is more a long term solution than a quick fix.

Salt, hydration, potassium could also be factors like others have stated.
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    DRINK MORE WATER AND EAT MORE BANANAS! I have huge calves that are nothing but muscle and when I don't get enough water especially, is when I get "Charley Horses" or leg cramps.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    magnesium and potassium, try to stretch before going to bed.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've looked into this a lot because I get these too, and even more since working on weight loss. (I'm in maintenance now.) It seems that there are a million theories, none of them conclusive.

Last week, I was super-sick and in bed for 4-5 days. I noticed that I didn't get any cramps during this time, which seemed weird since I normally get them at night/in bed. I recovered this weekend and even made it to the gym for a big workout. Sure enough, last night/this morning, I had a calf cramp. I can't say for sure why it happened, but here's my theory: While I was sick, I was drinking a lot of Vitamin Water Zero to restore my electrolytes. (I actually bought this and had it on hand already to possibly help with the cramps. Maybe I wasn't drinking enough pre-sickness?) And I pretty much just ate canned soup and broth, so high sodium. While I don't typically track my sodium--and I do feel like I get a lot through foods as well as what I add as seasoning--maybe I actually need even more.

So I may try increasing the Vitamin Water and sodium for a bit and see if that helps. (I've also found that rolling a "Tiger Tail" over the cramp helps to work it out when it strikes. Maybe I'll make a habit of doing more often for prevention too.)
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    DRINK MORE WATER AND EAT MORE BANANAS! I have huge calves that are nothing but muscle and when I don't get enough water especially, is when I get "Charley Horses" or leg cramps.

Water and bananas always help me when I get those. Also I will put a Salonpas patch (you can get them at Wal-Mart or any drug store) over the center of the cramp before bed. My cramps also happen mostly at night and the Salonpas helps to prevent it from happening therefore my muscle has a chance to heal.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have had them for decades. Been much better the past few years with Yoga and increased potassium: a banana a day helps keep leg cramps away.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Yup, stretching, water and minerals are the cure for this. Supplements, foods and Epsom salt baths are the best sources, you want calcium magnesium and potassium (also known as electrolytes). I put mio fit in my water, adds flavor and a little bit of the essential electrolytes without adding calories. I also use a stick roller on my calves but you could try a rolling pin in a pinch.

ETA: Potassium is the one most people are familiar with, but you need a balance of ALL the electrolytes to prevent muscle cramping, so if you know you're getting enough potassium, look in to your calcium and magnesium as well.
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I need to review my food plans and try to increase my calcium, sodium etc as I can see I am lacking in those areas.