Saggy Skin Worries

Options
Sorry about the repost!
I'm 5'5, age 20 and weigh 215lbs(just over 15st). So I've motivated myself to lose weight, or rather the the fact im going on holiday with a load of skinny girls in August has motivated me to finally lose weight and I just generally be a healthier person. I'm doing it the right way, I've started eating around 1, 500 a day and I'm doing cardio and weights at the gym. However I only have 5 months and it's not so much I want to lose 75lbs (I don't mind swapping fat weight for muscle weight) but I want to look good. So I'm debating on cutting down my calories to around 1,000 for 2 weeks out of the months. However I've scared myself into thinking that skimping on calories will make you have saggy skin. I'm hoping at 20 I still have some elasticity in my skin but it has been streched since I was about 13 :/ I just want to know if I lost about 70lbs this short space of time will I end up with saggy skin for the rest of my life? Would that amount of weight be too much too soon or will exercising help my skin bounce back? I'd rather not be the whale on the beach but... I don't want to rush my body and leave it in a mess for the rest of my life. Any advice/ personal experience on this would be great.

Replies

• eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i've not really had a problem.. and i'm old compared to you... at 20.
    So in my unprofessional opinion is that: If you are dieting the correct way you shouldn't have a problem at your age...

The only problem i've had is the skin under my chin... which i'm working on it daily and that seems to be going now also...because of exercises i'm doing and should not be a problem for too long. (hope, hope, hope)
  • adeptus_lupus
    adeptus_lupus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling here, I am 21 and 275 I am trying to lose a ton of weight and am pretty scared of the end results just being a mass of saggy skin. I just started my diet a little while ago and joined MFP today, glad there are others feeling the same way and im not alone.

Hope to find some useful advice here.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The quicker you lose, to more likely you are to have loose skin. The slower the better in this case.
    Because your skin takes time to bounce back.

Also 70 lbs in 5 months doesn't sound healthy to me. I think aiming for a third of that would be much better, and would help there be less saggy skin, and less anxiety on your part.
  • chanii_
    chanii_ Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for replying,

Yeah I'm hoping age is on my side haha.

Yeah I'm not too fussed about the numbers, I more just want to look and feel better by then. But I'd much rather take it slower and not end up with a bunch of skin and just get it off a bit slower.

Haha I hate reading things on the internet about saggy skin, so many contradictions :(
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You'll find some ideas if you google "loose skin from dieting"
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 70 lbs in 5 months… does seem like a lot. they say 1% of your weight per week (so in your case 2.2 lbs) which would give you around 50 lbs by then! You'd be about 165… and I'd say you could wear a bikini and feel pretty OK at that weight! :)

And 1000 cals per day for a whole week may screw your metabolism. I have done it here and there… like one day out of a week… but I wouldn't try it for a consistent amount of time. It just makes you yo-yo. And your body needs nutrition!!!
  • chanii_
    chanii_ Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree with the 70 lbs in 5 months… does seem like a lot. they say 1% of your weight per week (so in your case 2.2 lbs) which would give you around 50 lbs by then! You'd be about 165… and I'd say you could wear a bikini and feel pretty OK at that weight! :)

And 1000 cals per day for a whole week may screw your metabolism. I have done it here and there… like one day out of a week… but I wouldn't try it for a consistent amount of time. It just makes you yo-yo. And your body needs nutrition!!!

Really helpful, thanks, I didn't actually realise how fast your metabolism can slow down o.O

Any advice on what to do when your weight loss seems stationary, like diet wise, I get you have to step it up at the gym but sometimes I feel like I physically can't step it up, in respect to cardio atleast. :/
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    as long as you are exercising, eating healthy whole food stuff and drinking lots of water.. you probably wont have a problem with the saggy skin. There is no need to cut your calories down that low to lose weight. The lowest you should go is 1200 but if you are doing weights and cardio on a regular basis, your body will need more fuel for that. I still lose an average of 2lbs or so a week and eat anywhere from 1320 to 1500 and sometimes more on some days. I do end up burning like 800 calories a day according to mfp but I don't eat them all back. So the lowest I am going on average is 1350-1400. Why do you need to lose at such a fast pace? You do know that the smaller you get, is the harder it is to lose and also the more you will start to look and feel amazing. Losing weight/getting in shape isn't all about the number on the scale. Don't focus all your efforts in that. Take measurements too. I have no doubt that if you stick with this and take it one day at a time, that in five months you will be pretty close to your goal but don't beat yourself up if you aren't. It didn't get on you that fast so its going to take a bit longer. Now with all that advice being said, I have lost 66 in seven months. I am doing it the right way but my goal is to be at 135 AND fit. So I am anticipating this may take another year to see the results I really want. But that is okay. There is a quote I like: diet to look good in clothes but exercise to look good naked. I like that. I have every confidence in you to do this the right way. Don't starve yourself. Your metabolism loves food/fuel. Good luck honey. You can do it and still eat.

and I am also 5'5" and look pretty good at 168 right now.. you would look even better seeing as you are only 20. Just keep that in mind when it gets close to August.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    U'll be fine, as u are so young! I also worry about the saggy skin issue but i'm an old lady compared to u. I have bought some serum called 'Good Bye Cellulite' from Nivea, although I haven't got cellulite (I think) I find this serum appears to be firming me up in my stomach area where I have lost weight. Maybe worth giving this a try in combination with lifting u'll be beach ready!! Happy holiday :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just keep at a comfortable calorie range, exercise more, ditch the number 70, stick with it for five months, and you'll look and feel like a million bucks when you go on that trip. Guaranteed.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    While losing I would make sure that you are really making sure you get enough protein to help with muscle building and for helping you skin. Also, make sure to moisturize daily. And make sure you stay hydrated, as that will help your skin bounce back as well. I've heard some people say skin brushing is also good for reducing loose skin, but then I've also heard others say it makes no difference. I like to skin brush just b/c I think it's good for your lymphatic system, and also makes my skin feel great :)

As for the 1000 calorie a day diet, I think thats going to end up biting you in the butt. Stick with the 1500 calories, do some cardio, weight train, and eat good food (i.e. not too much crap so you get more bang for your buck). You should have made a nice dent in your weight loss goal by the time 5 months is up :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Try to lose it slowly. Age is on your side though. I'm 35 and I have a lot of loose skin now, but yeah, I'm 35.
  • calamarione
    calamarione Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    at 5'5" and 215lbs i wouldn't think that sagginess would be too much of an issue. now if you had had a baby as well you may have issues with your belly, but that's probably not the case here.

good luck to whatever you DO achieve.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the repost!
    I'm 5'5, age 20 and weigh 215lbs(just over 15st). So I've motivated myself to lose weight, or rather the the fact im going on holiday with a load of skinny girls in August has motivated me to finally lose weight and I just generally be a healthier person. I'm doing it the right way, I've started eating around 1, 500 a day and I'm doing cardio and weights at the gym. However I only have 5 months and it's not so much I want to lose 75lbs (I don't mind swapping fat weight for muscle weight) but I want to look good. So I'm debating on cutting down my calories to around 1,000 for 2 weeks out of the months. However I've scared myself into thinking that skimping on calories will make you have saggy skin. I'm hoping at 20 I still have some elasticity in my skin but it has been streched since I was about 13 :/ I just want to know if I lost about 70lbs this short space of time will I end up with saggy skin for the rest of my life? Would that amount of weight be too much too soon or will exercising help my skin bounce back? I'd rather not be the whale on the beach but... I don't want to rush my body and leave it in a mess for the rest of my life. Any advice/ personal experience on this would be great.

Please do yourself a favor and watch MISSPINKMELTSAWAY on youtube. shes our age and similar stats she has transformed her body, she motivated me to just get on my journey and she has many videos of progression. I think you'll like it, check it out.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible time with this after I dropped the first 50 pounds. Truthfully I was worried I might need surgery. But as the weeks passed I noticed a definite improvement and my skin seems to be responding. Not as quickly as I would like--immediately-LOL but it has steadily gotten better. No longer considering going under the knife at least. More to go yet and hoping for the best.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 46 and have not had any problems after 70 pounds, but it's been 10 months for me to take that off. If that's your major concern, I wouldn't skimp on the calories. You can be down 30-40 pounds by the time your vacation comes around and feel great about yourself without having to worry overmuch, then take off the rest afterwards if that is your main concern. Do it right with no regrets.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You're 20. No children, right? You'll be fine. I have worried about saggy skin so many times that I think it has contributed to my not fully committing to losing weight. If I had lost it in my 20's, I'd probably be fine now (at 35).

Keep doing what you are doing - do not try to cut down to 1000 calories. You'll be hungry. Then you'll over eat. Then you will b mad at yourself. Rinse. Repeat. Don't go down that road. Just stick with your plan. Eat healthy. Keep exercising. You'll be rockin' that bikini in no time!!
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You are young so it probably will not be a problem.

I am much older than you, I am 50, I do have sagging skin mainly in my stomach, but in my previous weight loss attempts I didn't. This time I think that it is age, while it is slowly absorbing it probably won't all absorb. I have decided that I really don't care because I feel healthier than I have in years and I look fine in clothes with no plans for a bikini.