smoothies for dummies

Options
Melwillbehealthy
Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
I know there've been quite a few recipes describing how to make delicious smoothies, but I have a specific request. In the past I've chosen what I consider complicated smoothie recipes and consequently never stuck to making them consistently. I've given up. I usually skip breakfast and would still like to be able to make a more simple version of a chocolate smoothie to have in the morning.. Yes, I did say 'chocolate'. Does anyone know of which 'powder' to buy and how to improve it to make a delicious smoothie? (I'm only saying chocolate, as I'm a 'smoothie making dummy" and thought it was simpler than the fruit versions).

Replies

• stefaniem76
    stefaniem76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a lot of responses with protein powders, as many people know much more than I do about them. I don't like the artifical taste in them, so I don't buy or use them. However, I do make a tasty chocolate smoothie that is super high in protein!

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/4 cup cottage cheese (trust me, you won't know)
    1 banana (i freeze mine)
    2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    1 cup milk (I use almond, but you can use any)

Tastes like a chocolate milkshake. You can also add peanut butter or PB2

Good luck!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    5 bananas
    Some random amount of water
    1-2 Tb cacao powder

Another chocolate version
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The simplest one I do is Carnation Instant breakfast and milk (almond or soy are fine if you don't do dairy). You can mix it in a cup, but I put it in my Magic Bullet because it makes it frothier. and helps dissolve the powder better. You can also add banana, peanut butter, etc.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a lot of responses with protein powders, as many people know much more than I do about them. I don't like the artifical taste in them, so I don't buy or use them. However, I do make a tasty chocolate smoothie that is super high in protein!

1 banana (i freeze mine)

Good luck!

This sounds healthy and delicious. Also, not too difficult. I'm going to try it...thanks
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    The simplest one I do is Carnation Instant breakfast and milk (almond or soy are fine if you don't do dairy). You can mix it in a cup, but I put it in my Magic Bullet because it makes it frothier. and helps dissolve the powder better. You can also add banana, peanut butter, etc.

I'm definitely trying this one...it sounds easy to do..thanks
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I do this too as a breakfast and its amazing. I add the banana and its delicious!
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've found that the most important thing to have with smoothies, is a GREAT blender. The Vita-mix hype is only partly true, because you can actually grind ice with it, which means the sky is the limit when it comes to smoothies. I hear Blend-Tec has a comparable blender for 1/3 the cost, but I went with the Vita-Mix because of their customer service reputation. As it happens, I've never called them, because it's never broken down and I've beat on it quite a lot. lol. If I had to do it over again, I'd go for the Blend-Tec. :)

At any rate, the simplest smoothies are the best. I DO use the protein powders as someone above, says, because I am vegetarian and usually need the extra protein boost, but smoothies are really easy with yogurt, with milk, with juice, etc. etc.

The yogurt ones are easiest and usually just contain yogurt, enough water to mix, and frozen fruit, with whatever sweetener you like. Mixing banana with chocolate is an old standby in the RAW world, because you can't really taste anything but the two ingredients, plus whatever sweetener you use. There's even a chocolate pudding made from avocados, because you aren't the only one who misses chocolate. lol.

Having said all that, don't be afraid to experiment..............making a bad smoothie is pretty hard, in my mind. :)

Well, anyway, here's my recipe for a chocolate shake/slushie.

2 cups of nut/flax/soy milk.
    A serving of Amazing Grass Vanilla Chai protein powder.
    2.5 tablespoons of raw cacao.
    A small frozen banana.
    Agave Nectar (to taste), usually 1 tablespoon).

That's pretty much it. I usually add the powders to the liquid, to whir up a bit, before adding the frozen fruit, because once the fruit gets pureed, it's actually more of a soft-serve ice cream. Sometimes I add frozen raspberries, strawberries, etc. etc.

Perfect for when the chocolate hankering comes up. PLUS, really, really, good for the body. Low calorie, low-fat, and very, very, "alkalinizing" (antioxidizing).

Good luck!.
  • thejocool
    thejocool Posts: 46
    Options
    I was myself looking for a healthy version of the choco smoothie !
    Will try this too myself THanks for sharing.

1 banana (i freeze mine)

Good luck!

This sounds healthy and delicious. Also, not too difficult. I'm going to try it...thanks
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    thanks to all of you for your great ideas. I've been sick for the last few days and even though I bought all of my ingredients have yet to make a smoothie.
    Mona, in the past I've spent a small fortune on organic, health food store ingredients and then given it all away...I think I had about 10 ingredients for the last smoothie recipe. I tried it once and it was horrible...there wasn't any yogurt in it though or chocolate or the name of any ingredients I recognized. I'm very hopeful that I can do this. Thanks for the smoothie making tips...I do need them.

Also, thanks for the tips on getting a decent blender. I'll see if I'm successful with mine. I haven't used it in a long while.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I found this one on Pinterest. I'm not a big fan of protein powders but this taste just like a Snickers Bar

Snickers Smoothie
    1/2 cup Low fat cottage cheese (you can't taste it)
    1 scoop Protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    2-4 pkts Stevia (or 1/4-1 tbs sweetener of choice)
    5-10 Ice cubes (Depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
    1/2-1 cup Water (Alter this according to desired consistency)
    1 tbs Cocoa powder
    2 tbs Peanut flour (or PB2 or peanut butter)
    1/2 tsp Caramel extract (or to taste)
  • SanConti
    SanConti Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have the calorie count for it?
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    I found this one on Pinterest. I'm not a big fan of protein powders but this taste just like a Snickers Bar

Snickers Smoothie
    1/2 cup Low fat cottage cheese (you can't taste it)
    1 scoop Protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    2-4 pkts Stevia (or 1/4-1 tbs sweetener of choice)
    5-10 Ice cubes (Depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
    1/2-1 cup Water (Alter this according to desired consistency)
    1 tbs Cocoa powder
    2 tbs Peanut flour (or PB2 or peanut butter)
    1/2 tsp Caramel extract (or to taste)

sounds great..thanks
  • Dregg
    Dregg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not a big oatmeal fan so I blend mine into my shake.

1/8 cup oats
    1 cup water
    4 ice cubes
    1 scoop protein powder (I use muscle milk)
    1 tbs PB2
    1/2 medium banana.

Works out to approximately 300 calories and I enjoy the taste a lot.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2 scoops of chocolate protein powder
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter
    8-10 ounces of vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup of uncooked oats
    a banana

blend. enjoy.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't like the artifical taste in them, so I don't buy or use them. However, I do make a tasty chocolate smoothie that is super high in protein
    How many grams protein? Doesn't sound very high in protein to me.

By the way, you should be able to get flavouring-free protein powder, including those without artificial sweeteners, which may be the taste you don't like.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love kinda making a milkshake type out of mine. I have the chocolate peanut butter flavour by pure protein. I mix a scoop of it with a cup of 1% milk and a few tablespoons of cool whip. I love it.
  • oberlin078
    oberlin078 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not chocolate but simple and (I think) delicious:

I throw into my Magic Bullet / single serving blender:

1 small or medium peeled orange, or a cored apple
    1 banana
    top off the cup with frozen berries (sometimes I rinse them in hot water first)
    fill it with skim milk (or orange juice, or warm or cold tea)

And blend. Usually I put it all together the night before, keep it in the fridge, and blend it in the morning for breakfast. Takes about 3 minutes to assemble.