Convince My Wife to Quit Smoking?

Options
Need help.

I'm 29 years old and stand 6'1". I quit smoking almost 3 years ago and actually went from 225 lbs down to 205 lbs. (quit smoking, changed diet and started exercising all at once)

My wife relatively fit at 5'5", 122 lbs and has a physically active job. Her mom is a big woman and I think she's afraid that if she quits smoking, she'll gain a ton of weight. She knows she needs to quit too but has been procrastinating for a couple of years now. I don't like the hit and run method of lobbing "when are you going to quit?" comments her way very now and again. I want to be supportive but assertive at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Leave it alone.
    She will quit smoking when she is ready to quit.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As an ex smoker yourself - I would have thought you already know the answer to this. Your wife will only give up when SHE decides to. Pressuring a smoker to quit, only makes them want to smoke more. I gave up myself only 3 months ago - its really all about getting your head in the right place...mind over matter.

I'm not suggesting that you are pressurizing her by the way.....just that I don't think there is much you can do. The only thing I can suggest is that without nagging, if she has suggested she would like to try, just try to build her confidence so that she believes she will succeed. Everyone loves to bang on about how hard it is, but if you really want to quit & are strong minded, its not so hard at all. I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking - I 'wanted ' to quit for years, but this book made me understand all the excuses I had made for not quitting.....made me laugh at myself to be honest:-)
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Leave it alone.

She works with allot of smokers with designated 15 minute breaks during her shift (a smoke break is almost a given). I'm worried "ready" might be never.

I was lucky, there was only one other person at my company that smoked when I quit which made it a whole lot easier. Now, my entire company is smoke free.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Leave it alone.

She works with allot of smokers with designated 15 minute breaks during her shift (a smoke break is almost a given). I'm worried "ready" might be never.

I was lucky, there was only one other person at my company that smoked when I quit which made it a whole lot easier. Now, my entire company is smoke free.

It may have been easier for you because you did not work with a bunch of smokers and your company is now smoke free. However, the fact still remains that she will quit smoking when she is ready to quit. That may happen tomorrow, next month, next year, and yes, maybe never. It has to be her decision and desire to quit smoking. I still think you should leave it alone.
  • aworkoutroutine
    aworkoutroutine Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Get her on E-Cigs. Despite the propaganda from Big Tobacco, they're actually better for smokers. Nicotine itself is one of the least harmful substances in smoked tobacco.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Get her on E-Cigs. Despite the propaganda from Big Tobacco, they're actually better for smokers. Nicotine itself is one of the least harmful substances in smoked tobacco.

Good idea. I had forgotten about those things.

Thanks.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Don't try to get her to quit. Convince her to switch instead. Buy her a rechargeable ecig with a few weeks worth of carts.

3 to 4 ingredients compared to almost 4000. It's how I ended up deciding to eventually quit.

edit: I was late lol. Brand suggestions then..

1. Greensmoke
    2. V2
    3. Blu
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Good idea. I had forgotten about those things.

Thanks.

In 15 days it will be one year since my last cigarette. I did it by switching to e-cigs. I am a big fan of e-cigs, since I had tried just about every other method of quitting over the last 20 years, and nothing else worked for very long. The other methods also left me missing cigarettes badly. When I switched to e-cigs, I felt like it was a change I could live with for the rest of my life; I didn't feel like I was giving up that much.

As of today I'm still addicted to nicotine, but I'm no longer ingesting the thousands of harmful gasses and tars from combustible tobacco. One of these days I may try to quit e-cigs as well, but I'm taking things slowly. For now I'm happy that I've gotten away from the dangers of cigarettes and I'm only paying about 15% of what I used to pay for cigarettes.

I hope it's okay to post this here. It's a link to the brand e-cig that I use. I started with the version that looks a lot like a regular cigarette, but have since switched to the Superior eGo which gives more consistent vapor and longer lasting batteries. (Click on "starter kits" on the left. They'll get you everything you need to start vaping.)

http://www.apolloecigs.com/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can't convince someone to quit smoking. Sorry. Even if you think you might have won, the person is outside with a perfume bottle and Listerine in their pockets. :smokin:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This is actually worth a try. For some, it works well. Some people like the freedom that e-cigs bring, that is, being able to vape whenever or wherever without running outside.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, nothign you can really do if they don't choose to quit.

I stopped kissing my ex wife whenever she would smoke, that sort of worked but she still smoked whenever she could like a chimney if she wasn't going to be seeing me for a while.

Guess I'll rephrase, you can do something but it just depends on how far your willing to take it. Might not always turn out well in the end.
  • LaneyRZ
    LaneyRZ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the vaping bit. My wife and I switched from smoking to vaping 9 months ago and haven't had a regular cigarette since. It was really easy!