Exercise water?

Options
Do you count the water you drink while exercising in your 8 glasses a day? I try not to since I'm sweating but I confess, sometimes I do. Do I need to try to drink even more on days with a vigorous (for me) workout?

Replies

• Purplegal32
    Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question i count it myself but I have a 64 oz water bottle that I fill up every night that way its nice and cold I drink from that all day. Then I have a 16 oz one I use if I finish the big one.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I would at least drink 8 glasses a day no matter what. It is a good idea to drink more on the days that you workout to ensure your body stays hydrated and functions at its optimum. The actual recommendations these days is 6-8 glasses/day. I myself drink 10-15. Lol. :)
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I'm curious to see what others say, but I don't. I literally want to pour the bottle over my face some days but obviously, that wouldn't look so hot at the gym. I'm such a mess that I look at the water as a relief to get back to my normal frame of Tara. I only count water that I drink while in a normal not panting, not gasping for air, not pouring sweat state. But I can drink up to a gallon of water a day. So it might be different for someone who drinks less water.
  • Willowy_Jen
    Willowy_Jen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow... 10-15?
    I find it hard to just drink 2 glasses, also trying to cut out the sodas which is working great but just cant bump up my water consumption.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have scales in them weigh yourself pre workout and post, (you should weigh the same) If you are lighter drink more water.
  • MrMeefee
    Options
    I personally don't count the water I drink during and immediately after exercise within my 8 glasses per day. The way I see it is that this is just replacing the fluids lost through sweating during the exercise and is therefore reinstating my body to its "pre-workout" hydration state.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't count workout water as part of my 8 glasses a day, but I do log it just so I know that I drank more to recover from the sweating! So on a workout day I'll probably drink 12 glasses of water for instance
  • BillyLightening
    Options
    Of course you should count the water that you drink during exercise. Why wouldn't you? You are still consuming and absorbing that water, even though you're sweating it out. I always count mine because it doesn't make sense not to.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    I count the water I drink while I exercise, too. I find I still drink well more than eight glasses on the days I work out. Even if you sweat it out, you're still ingesting it.

Saying that water doesn't count is like saying the calories in a piece of food you just ate don't count because you already burned them at the gym. Which technically might be true, but you'd still long the food, right? So why not log the water?
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Wow... 10-15?
    I find it hard to just drink 2 glasses, also trying to cut out the sodas which is working great but just cant bump up my water consumption.

I was like that, too. I find exercise helps because then I really can't ignore my body's demand for water. Eventually, it just becomes habit. I regularly drink five glasses at work. Have you tried adding a bit of flavour to your water? I drink hot water with a splash of lime juice now it's cold.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do... otherwise, I'd never get my eight! Besides, anything you consume has to count, right? MFP doesn't give you advice about calculating what you sweat out.:-)

Shannon
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i am horrible at even logging my water intake simply because that is my beverage of choice and has been almost all of my life...i have a 16 oz bottle that stays on my desk (at work) that i refill many many times per day...it's 12.30 and i have already hit 40 oz of water (my bladder and kidneys are mad at me now...lol...) i can consume a half a gallon to a gallon in the evenings at home.

i know that 40 to 64 oz are the rule of thumb but i use this rule of thumb (can't remember where i got it from)...

i drink water equal to half my body weight in ounces daily...

so since i'm currently at 241 lbs, i will drink at least 120 ozs...

has anyone else ever heard that?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I do, but that is because I am usually way over the 8 a day anyway.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I do. I usually drink 12-16 glasses a day though, but I definitely count the water I drink exercising.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Absolutely I do. I wouldn't think of not doing so, seems foolish not to. Not doing so would be like not counting a chocolate bar or energy bar you ate during a workout. At least that's how I see it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    I do, but I don't log all the water I drink anyway. I'm actually thirsty now-gonna go get a glass!