Anyone else workout first thing in the morning?

Options
I literally get up at 5 a.m. get my workout clothes on and go to the gym, does anyone else do this? If so do you eat before, and if you do what do you eat? On the weekends I normally eat some carbs before but I normally go to the gym later in the day.

Replies

• marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not up as nearly as early as you. I get up just before 6, feed my kids and send them off to school. If I go to the gym, I usually end up there by about 7:30.

Since I have blood sugar issues, I HAVE to eat before a work out. My favorite is 1/2 cup of multigrain cheerios and 1/4 cup of almonds. I also like a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter. In other words, a healthy carb with a little bit of protein to keep my sugars leveled.

After my workout, within the hour, I have my second breakfast. That varies from eggs, or oatmeal, cereal, something with more calories to replenish from my workout.

On the weekends, my schedule is different, and we're not up as early. I usually put my housework in as "workouts".

Of course, I never do anything without coffee in my system!
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of wondering if I will feel a little bit more "fueled" (or energized) if I eat something before I work out because right now I kind of feel like a zombie during the week but on the weekends I'm able to focus and get a better workout. Maybe I will try some toast with peanut butter in tomorrow :).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 4:45am, and I'm working out by 5:00 (I work out at home). I do not eat anything before I start, workouts are usually 30-45 minutes, and I do just fine.

Do whatever works best for you - if you feel better with a small snack before you start, go for it. Some people find they workout better with something to eat first, others find it makes them feel sick or sluggish - personal preference.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    On lifting days I'm up at 0410 and in the gym by 0435. I don't eat before as I can't handle food that close to a workout.

I have an hour commute to work so I have to get in the gym early to be in the office by 0730.

Weekends I will go late in the morning. I will have eaten breakfast that day.
  • Eekababy
    Eekababy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mon, Wed, & Fri I'm at the gym by 5 am I workout until 6:30 (bodycombat & kettlebell) I usually don't eat anything before.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    In for a 6am kick-off with no time to eat anything first. Well hungry after though!!!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:45a most mornings and ride my stationary bike at home for 45 minutes. I check my blood sugar before I start, and I will only eat something before riding if my sugar is low. Otherwise I ride, then shower, then eat a protein packed breakfast.
  • cpiniphilly
    Options
    I get up at 5am to workout. Usually I'll down a pint of water then have something small. I have found that a tablespoon of peanut butter feels great on cardio days. I'll have a banana too on some days, usually lifting days. I think it's up to you and how your body responds. I could never go to the gym without eating something, albeit small, I'd bonk. But some folks swear by it. I'm always sure to have a high quality protein shake and a scoop of macro greens afterwards! I bring my blender bottle to the gym with me.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My husband and I get up at 5 am. He only does cardio so he works out before he eats breakfast. I do Stronglifts but I can't really eat anything before lifting or I'll cramp up. I make my protein shake and drink that during my workout.
  • a_lindquist
    Options
    I have a 7 almost 8 week old so I get up with her at 6:30 am. Do my home workout either Turbofire or 30 Day Shred which usually takes 30-45 minutes. I usually eat half a banana beforehand and then finish it after with a big glass of water. It definitely helps me have more energy and not feel blah during my workout!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:00 AM. I down a cup of coffee (with half and half) and a teaspoon of creatine before I leave for the gym.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30AM three times a week, usually starting my workout(I work out at home) by 4:45AM. I never eat before workouts but will sometimes grab a banana immediately after. I do keep myself hydrated throughout the workout, though.
  • chsa22
    chsa22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am up at 5am and work out for 30 minutes Mon-Fri at home. I do not eat beforehand because I have hypothyroidism and you can't eat for an hour after you take the meds for it. But I probably wouldn't eat anything anyway, considering i'm up so early and sleep is precious. it would take more time to make something quick and then eat, and wait a bit to workout. I don't eat anything until i'm at work at 7am. But i am fine with it. Because my workouts are only 30 minutes, it doesn't affect me. they say the fuel you need for workouts that are shorter you get from your normal day, assuming you're getting the appropriate calories. so i simply drink a lot of water when i wake up and work out.
    if i did eat something, i like the idea of a spoonful of peanut butter, that someone else posted. it's quick and is a great source of protein. i've also read that a great after workout snack/drink is chocolate milk. the combination of protein and carbs is perfect they say.
  • ticribbs
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input :)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    edit
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love ON Amino Energy Drink...I drink it before and during my workout. I do T25 workouts at home most mornings and getting up around 4:45am to workout doesn't really allow much time for eating anything prior. I find that a protein shake before bed and a good night sleep help and most days I get in a good workout.
  • ticribbs
    Options
    I love ON Amino Energy Drink...I drink it before and during my workout. I do T25 workouts at home most mornings and getting up around 4:45am to workout doesn't really allow much time for eating anything prior. I find that a protein shake before bed and a good night sleep help and most days I get in a good workout.

Really, a protein shake before bed? I've never thought of that, I generally don't eat after 7ish.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just started again now that I am doing two -a-days. Up at 4 a.m. and at the gym by 4:10. I take a pre-work out and a partial glass of fruit juice. I do this to get my blood sugar up since I am lifting in the morning.
  • 86tigger
    86tigger Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day and have to eat beforehand otherwise i feel really sick. During the week im up at 5:30 and at the gym by 6:30. I normally have a smoothie or a small bowl of cereal before the gym then a protein shake afterwards. I know the difference in my energy levels if i dont eat
  • kochou
    kochou Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i always have an early start. i wake up at 5am, strength train, then walk/hike with the dog for 45 mins.