Pros and Cons of Marathon Training

Options
I just finished my first half marathon with relative ease, and I really really enjoyed it. I am toying with possibly training for a full marathon which would be in December.

I'm really nervous about committing to running 30+ miles every week, injury, etc. Any marathoners who could share their experience with me would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• 3rdwoozie5
    3rdwoozie5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've run 7 fulls. There is a big jump in the length of your training runs. So much more time committment. Like you will be doing 18, 20, and 22 mile long runs for training.

I've had no injuries due to running. But have had injuries that have stopped my running. Training for a full has to be a committment to that lifestyle. But the reward and satisfaction of personal achievement is great.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Increase your mileage very slowly - 10% every two weeks. Make sure your shoes are in good condition. Marathoning takes a LOT of running (think 20 milers every two weekends). That's a lot of hours. If you are up for it, go for it. It will always be an accomplishment you can take pride in.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've lost count of the number of marathons, so obviously I love doing them, but here's my take (with a note that I am biased towards doing them)

It is a huge commitment, and not one you can half-*kitten*. Well, you can, but you will have a miserable experience race day if you do. The first time through training you will have all kinds of doubts as to whether or not you can even do it, plus chances are, you will only run up to 20 miles in training, and that last 10k will be a big question mark for you on race day. Don't worry about it, if you can run 20 miles, you can run 26.2. There is a social life restriction. No more Saturday nights out. It is incredibly difficult to lose weight while training, because you become a ravenous hunger monster.

However, its a great experience. Not only the race, but the 18 weeks of training you go through. It teaches you a lot about yourself, and what kind of discipline you have. I tend to stop weight training (but not strength training - I just back off to body weight) during high mileage training. I enjoy the peace of a long run and the way my body hums through the day after a morning interval workout (even though mile repeats make me want to barf).

If you want to do it, I say do it. Its not like you're committing to running them forever. If you don't like it, you don't have to do another one.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    What program did you use to train for your half and would you recommend it?
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first half marathon with relative ease, and I really really enjoyed it. I am toying with possibly training for a full marathon which would be in December.

I'm really nervous about committing to running 30+ miles every week, injury, etc. Any marathoners who could share their experience with me would be greatly appreciated!

Just so you are aware 30+ miles a week is very low. I don't believe the 60-70 mile weeks we used to do are necessary but I wouldn't run a marathon without averaging 40+ and be closer to 50 for many of them. People who have run marathons will tell you otherwise, but I suspect those people are merely looking to finish the race rather than get a faster time.

As far as your question goes, yes, it is a big sacrifice. Training 18 weeks and committing to long runs is not easy and is not for everyone. It is very tough on your body, and also tough on the people who you live with. You have to change your focus on everything and also face the facts that is may impact your work life as well. That's just the way it is.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

I didn't use a training plan, but I have heard great things about Hal Higdon's novice half marathon training program.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Just so you are aware 30+ miles a week is very low. I don't believe the 60-70 mile weeks we used to do are necessary but I wouldn't run a marathon without averaging 40+ and be closer to 50 for many of them. People who have run marathons will tell you otherwise, but I suspect those people are merely looking to finish the race rather than get a faster time.

Just wanted to throw in that my normal marathon training plan has me topping out at 55 miles/week, and starting around 35. When I first started, I guess I averaged closer to 40. And yes, there is a difference between training to finish and training to race.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I said the exact same thing last year, right around this time, and my September FM was a f***ing disaster. I chose to wait, run, wait, run, and wait some more and will be reattempting at the end of this September, and I still think that's too soon, but I'll be clocking 50+ MPW at least.

If you want a challenge to hold you over, try running one to the point where you don't say it was "relatively easy." Build your base up slowly and injury free. No need to rush into an FM. They suck for a reason.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

Just wanted to throw in that my normal marathon training plan has me topping out at 55 miles/week, and starting around 35. When I first started, I guess I averaged closer to 40. And yes, there is a difference between training to finish and training to race.

I only used the 30+ figure because that is the most I have run up until now. I'm thinking that maybe I should stick to the half marathon distance. I mean finishing a full would be a huge accomplishment, but I can always do it later on in life. Maybe I should work on improving my half time for now, and think about full distance later.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

As far as your question goes, yes, it is a big sacrifice. Training 18 weeks and committing to long runs is not easy and is not for everyone. It is very tough on your body, and also tough on the people who you live with. You have to change your focus on everything and also face the facts that is may impact your work life as well. That's just the way it is.

Yep. This.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

I only used the 30+ figure because that is the most I have run up until now. I'm thinking that maybe I should stick to the half marathon distance. I mean finishing a full would be a huge accomplishment, but I can always do it later on in life. Maybe I should work on improving my half time for now, and think about full distance later.

Amen. There will always be a marathon to race, and 99.9% are held annually - only things that change are the medals, shirts, and courses.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've ran 2 marathons, and probably won't do anymore. Some good advice already given, here's mine

If you are someplace really warm, be mindful of having to train over the summer in very hot temps.
    Marathon training (if done properly) will take over your life.
    there are few things that I've done that compare to the feeling of crossing the finish line at a marathon
    Try to maintain as high a weekly miles average as you can with out injuring yourself. Build smartly and back off a week occasionally. I think you will be much more prepared topping out closer to 50 MPW peak with an average of 40 MPW than a 40 peak and 30 average.
    I have a tendency to say go for it, since you have a noce long time out ahead of you, but do know that at taimes you question your sanity, your resolve and on occasion you will hate having to step out the door and do that day's run.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

I didn't use a training plan, but I have heard great things about Hal Higdon's novice half marathon training program.

Thank you! I will check it out :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I said the exact same thing last year, right around this time, and my September FM was a f***ing disaster. I chose to wait, run, wait, run, and wait some more and will be reattempting at the end of this September, and I still think that's too soon, but I'll be clocking 50+ MPW at least.

If you want a challenge to hold you over, try running one to the point where you don't say it was "relatively easy." Build your base up slowly and injury free. No need to rush into an FM. They suck for a reason.

I'm with Doug. Ran my first full last October and it practically killed me. Yet, two weeks later I went out and came in 3rd place at a 5K, so I guess it was okay. Marathon training is a HUGE commitment, as others have said. If you have 4 hours every Sunday to go for a run, then more power to you. Trying to do that with a 3-year-old? Not so much.

Re: training plans--Hal Higdon is definitely the man, and if I would have been able to follow the plan the last 6 weeks before my race, I'm sure things would have gone a lot better than they did.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've run 3 halfs and only one full. (That was plenty :) )

It's a committment to train. It's so much easier if you have a running partner that's about the same pace/level of fitness as you. I couldn't have gotten through some of those long runs if I were by myself. So a partner, or a running group, or a friend willing you follow you on a bike and hold your food and water will be extremely helpful.

I never missed one training run, because I knew that if I missed one, I would make excuses to skip again.

If you feel like this is your year, go for it. If you need more time, wait until next year. There are so many and you want your experience to be a good one!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The secret to remaining injury free are as follows:
    - Build up slowly. If an 18 week plan seems like too much, it just might be. Take 36 or 42 or even 52 weeks.
    - Consistent training whether it is 3, 4. 5 or 6 days a week. Base runes, long runs and tempo runs all have different purposes.
    - Age matters. Easier for younger folks than older folks. The older you are the more time you should take.
    - Properly fitted running shoes are always a must.
    - Strength, stretching and rest days. No formula but most good runners will have all three.
    - 30 miles per week is a minimum. I do more 180-200 per month.

At age 55 I personally think anyone can run a marathon that can run a 5K. Instead of how many miles to get to your goal, begin to think in terms of hours per week. To be safe, it's probably about 10-12 or so. Your longest runs could take from 3 to 5 hours. Training for a marathon to finish it, even at a novice pace is a lot of time. If you have the time, you'll do fine.

Just remember as the miles go on, you'll face new problems with chaffing, fueling and the enormity of the mental game doing distance you have never done before.

Good luck.
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever received before beginning to prepare for a marathon was that if you're not fully invested and willing to put in the hours and miles, stick to the half-marathons. I tend to finish my half-marathon races somewhere between 1:40 and 1:55. I figured that I would try my first full marathon about a year ago and committed to the training. I have to say that I found out the hard way that a full marathon is no joke! I have a newly found level of respect for anybody that can run the entire full marathon without having to walk at all.

Best of luck to you!
  • wildbill64
    wildbill64 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey, Hannah...noticed that you are here in Dallas so I thought I would mention Run On as a training program for you. I've been with them since 2010 and have run 10+ half-marathons and 2 fulls with a 3rd planned this October. I highly recommend them as they have a variety of pace groups to train in from 8:30 min/miles to run/walk (where I am). Not being a typical runner (I weighed 278 when I started and am now down to my maintence weight of 248-ish), their program got me through both marathons at a pace I could handle and injury-free as well.

Just let me know if interested and I will post some more info for you. Best of luck!!!
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to agree with ThickMcRunFast here and disagree on a 30+ week being low. DISCLAIMER: I run marathons to finish, not for time, so absolutely agree that that is a factor. However, I have trained for and completed 7 marathon or longer distance races (one being a 50K trail run and one being a full IronMan triathlon) using Hal Higdon's online marathon guides and did so injury-free. Now, full-disclosure: my best-ever marathon time was a 4:06 so take this all with a grain of salt. The #1 best advice I give myself and offer to anyone who wants it is that what your body is telling you is more important than what your ego is telling you it needs.

When I need to rest, I rest. But I also push myself because, let's face it, marathons aren't exactly a walk in the park. Unless you are walking a marathon and it happens to go through a park but I am getting entirely off track.