I just can't get started but I really want to

Options

Replies

• scuttlez
    scuttlez Posts: 51
    Options
    First Step: Log Everything.
    Second Step: Make easy changes.

On my first day, my breakfast included 2 slices of toast with butter. When I logged it, I saw that it had 360 calories. The second day, I eliminated one of the slices, and immediately was down 180 calories. The third day, I went without the butter, and was down another 100 calories. So just from logging, and seeing where the calories were, I went from 2 slices with butter at 360 to 1 slice without butter at 80 calories. That was a very easy change, and it saved me 280 calories per day.

A piece of dry toast for breakfast sounds miserable. I do not recommend this, lol. Two scrambled eggs with fruit, like strawberries, and half an English muffin with about a half serving of butter is a better option. Well-rounded, about 350-400 calories (reasonable amount for a meal), and it will keep you full.

I agree with everyone else here. Just learn to control your portions, and you will be just fine!

Agreed! lol.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    First Step: Log Everything.
    Second Step: Make easy changes.

On my first day, my breakfast included 2 slices of toast with butter. When I logged it, I saw that it had 360 calories. The second day, I eliminated one of the slices, and immediately was down 180 calories. The third day, I went without the butter, and was down another 100 calories. So just from logging, and seeing where the calories were, I went from 2 slices with butter at 360 to 1 slice without butter at 80 calories. That was a very easy change, and it saved me 280 calories per day.

Dry toast? Why would you do that and not just make room for the butter.

You can eat flavorful delicious food and lose weight, just eat less than you did before.
  • ljoycew
    ljoycew Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Oatmeal is one of "the right foods."

But you can buy it in little sugar-added envelopes -- more expensive -- or in a canister or bulk -- very, very cheap.

This is just one of the MILLIONS of examples of the way people get confused about "the right foods." Eating well doesn't mean shopping at Whole Foods. It means eating simple.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    there are no right foods …just eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight..

use MFP to log your calories.
    set MFP to one pound per week weight loss
    make sure you net the number MFP gives you.
    try to make an effort to move around more.

that is really not that hard now is it..??

You can make excuses ands top delaying your weight loss, or you can start today and be that much closer to reaching your goals…the choice is yours…no one can make you star except yourself.

This!!!!!
    Eat at a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    there are no right foods …just eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight..

You can make excuses ands top delaying your weight loss, or you can start today and be that much closer to reaching your goals…the choice is yours…no one can make you star except yourself.

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif

Eat in deficit. I too thought I couldn't "afford" to eat properly. instead of that $4.00 bag of chips buy a pack of baby carrots, a bunch of kale, (I like making kale chips google for the recipe) for crunch. Your children will eat what's in the house. Stop making excuses. You can and will do this. If it's what you really want.

ETA: Also buy a food scale you can get a basic spring scale from Walmart for $5.00 or a digital for about $20.00

Yes. You can easily substitute a few of your regular items for healthier, lower calorie items. (I would say buy bags of regular carrots over baby carrots - you get more food for your money and they actually taste better, although they take a bit more work).

Don't change everything at once. A few changes a week will add up over time, and it will help you and your children to adjust. Carrots instead of chips. Apples instead of cookies. Milk instead of soda. Sweet potatoes (bake them at 350 for about 90 minutes, they are yummy) instead of Mac&Cheese. Don't make the treats completely not allowed in the house, but make them occasional treats.

ETA: First, making the changes at home I (and others) have suggested will benefit your kids, too. They won't always have crazy fast metabolism, so it's good for them to learn to eat properly now.

Second, if you haven't already, look into the free lunch program. As a single mom with 4 kids, there is a good chance you qualify. It can really alleviate some of the financial burden of feeding them at home. I know that most school meals (breakfast and lunch) aren't the best nutrition, but they do give the calories the kids need to keep up. And when you're eating the nutritionally dense foods at home, they will learn to eat right even if school doesn't always provide the best. (My kids eat school lunch, then come home and go for the apples, bananas, etc)
  • DarkAngel272
    Options
    Be prepared!

I baked and froze a ton of chicken so I could just take it out the night before. I keep healthy foods at work, at home, and even some in the car. When I know I'm running errands or something I keep a baggie of mixed nuts or jerky with me so if I get a little shaky I have something healthy until I can get home or to my next meal.
  • ElisaGetsHealthy
    ElisaGetsHealthy Posts: 40 Member
    Options

^^^this
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's easy for skinny people to say, it's easy, just eat less. Honestly, I'm sick of seeing that. It's NOT easy. If it were easy do you think we'd be fat?!?! You can't eat what ever and lose weight. Not and do it in a healthy way. And when you have a LOT to lose, you can't just exercise it away. It takes time. You have to build up to being able to exercise.

As an obese person I can say the best and easiest exercise there is to WALK WALK WALK!! Anything you do is better then you were doing before.

I do agree with getting a food scale ($18 at WM) and logging your portions and your food. READ YOUR LABELS!!!! It's enlightening. The fresher your food, the better for you, IMO. Ditch the boxed foods if at all possible. I would rather eat homemade mac n cheese over boxed stuff just because I know what went into it. I can control all the extras.

For ME, I have chosen to eliminate fast food, fried foods and prepackaged foods as much as possible. Doesn't mean 100%, but I've cut WAAAAAAAAAAAY back. Well, I do eat a Healthy Choice packaged lunch M-F. And add water. I try to drink about 60oz a day. Some believe you don't need to drink that much, but it works for me, so I'm sticking with it. :) I feel better when I'm well hydrated. I had a diet coke on Friday and couldn't drink it.

You can do this, one day at a time!
  • gail70zur
    Options
    Hello
    You just need to say I can do this....because can't is no longer in your dictionary.
    The best thing you can do is get organised, even if this means preparing something last thing at night or extra portions that can be frozen, look on this as a part of a job and it's paying you in kindness.
    I don't believe in depriving yourself so always a 100 calories for a daily treat, just have self belief, confidence. ...and most importantly love yourself. Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice here. You just need to decide whether or not you are ready to put it to good use! You CAN do this!
  • KaysKidz
    Options
    P.S. And don't go on a diet. Diets are temporary. So is the weight loss, trust me, I speak from experience. You have to find a new forever. So if you choose to eliminate something from your diet, you have to be honest if it's something you do FOREVER. If not, and you do back to eating the way you did before, your weight will come back too. UNLESS you got yourself to the point where you can exercise enough to keep a deficit while eating that double cheeseburger and large fry. ;)
  • gail70zur
    Options
    Well said Kayzkidz, diets don't work that's why there are so many baecause if they did work there would be only one diet!!! And the diet industry would collapse, they are one of biggest money scams ever. Governments should make supermarkets all fruit and veg cheaper if they are serious about obesity and do something about children eating such poor diets.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    It's easy for skinny people to say, it's easy, just eat less. Honestly, I'm sick of seeing that. It's NOT easy. If it were easy do you think we'd be fat?!?! You can't eat what ever and lose weight. Not and do it in a healthy way. And when you have a LOT to lose, you can't just exercise it away. It takes time. You have to build up to being able to exercise.

As an obese person I can say the best and easiest exercise there is to WALK WALK WALK!! Anything you do is better then you were doing before.

I do agree with getting a food scale ($18 at WM) and logging your portions and your food. READ YOUR LABELS!!!! It's enlightening. The fresher your food, the better for you, IMO. Ditch the boxed foods if at all possible. I would rather eat homemade mac n cheese over boxed stuff just because I know what went into it. I can control all the extras.

For ME, I have chosen to eliminate fast food, fried foods and prepackaged foods as much as possible. Doesn't mean 100%, but I've cut WAAAAAAAAAAAY back. Well, I do eat a Healthy Choice packaged lunch M-F. And add water. I try to drink about 60oz a day. Some believe you don't need to drink that much, but it works for me, so I'm sticking with it. :) I feel better when I'm well hydrated. I had a diet coke on Friday and couldn't drink it.

I have to disagree with this, as someone that did weigh 285 pounds, losing weight is easy if you don't overly restrict and don't expect miracles to happen over night, and you can eat anything in moderation and be healthy. It does take time, but people make it much harder than it really needs to be.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    When you first get started, it can be overwhelming. I was away for a year for various reasons, and coming back was a bit rough, even though I had done it before. There's some great advice here.

My own would be, if you are just feeling overwhelmed, start small. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you can log what you actually eat for a couple weeks, that's great, but even that can be daunting at first. You can start with logging all breakfasts for a week, and get in two thirty minute walks (or whatever, but you get my point - start small). Then go on to breakfast and lunch, and then all three meals, and then all meals and snacks. Or even just start entirely with breakfast - meaning, log what you eat for a week, see what it looks like. If MFP has given you 1500 cals/day and your breakfast is 700, and you eat lunch, dinner, and snacks, then you know you need to make your breakfast smaller (or some other meal). So, start trying different breakfasts to find out the calorie counts, what you like, what keeps you satiated, etc.

Start small, and add something new every week. Once you get the hang of logging, it gets easier to make bigger changes, and small changes still add up.

Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Well said Kayzkidz, diets don't work that's why there are so many baecause if they did work there would be only one diet!!! And the diet industry would collapse, they are one of biggest money scams ever. Governments should make supermarkets all fruit and veg cheaper if they are serious about obesity and do something about children eating such poor diets.

If you're at a calorie deficit, that's all that matters.

Any of the diets will work so long as the above applies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

The Government has it's hand in enough stuff they don't need to regulate anymore. We need to take personal responsibility for our actions for a change.
  • KaysKidz
    Options

You can eat 1400 calories of doritos, ice cream and brownies. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be healthy, regardless of it being a deficit!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

You can eat 1400 calories of doritos, ice cream and brownies. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be healthy, regardless of it being a deficit!

...ok?

I'm not sure where I said anything about doritos, ice cream, or brownies. Why not click that link and take a short read.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My life is a terrible, busy mess. I don't know how to get started. I have to start with a decrease in portion size because I don't have the money to get the right foods. Also being a single mom with four kids. Two teenage boys who can eat what they want and it only goes to there feet and two younger daughters who have a jet fueled metabolism.

I need help and support. Anyone in my same situation or have been and have Done it? I'd like to lose 45lbs by the end of November. Especially around my midsection.

oh yes, I understand about the crazy busy mess. I'm a single mom of four boys also - two teenagers that eat anything not nailed down. You can add me as a friend if you'd like.

it seems so overwhelming but I bet there isn't three things you can list that you do for yourself? This is my thing. I started in January and it is the one thing that is all for me and it helps to frame it as a positive and not a chore.

Step by step. You can do this! You deserve the time and attention -and the results. Steps at a time work great when your days are already so busy.

First I started by logging my food. Once I logged I started paying attention to portion size and slowly made different choices at the grocery store etc.

My first big change was lunch. I eat lunch alone M-F at work so I quit eating out (which is from the gas station) and started packing. Those 5 meals I pack are healthy and compared to what they were before the calorie savings is huge.

The next change was I do an exercise DVD for 30 minutes (that includes warm up/cool down) at least 5 days a week. I think it helps to lose a little weight but I just wanted to breath better and have a little more stamina and it has worked for that. I'm also stronger. I have to get up earlier, which is why I'll never do more than a 30 minute video, lol.

Just start with the first step and then add things as you are able and that make sense to you. I cook the same at night for my kids - I just eat smaller portions of everything except veggies - which I eat way more of so I fill up.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I have to disagree with this, as someone that did weigh 285 pounds, losing weight is easy if you don't overly restrict and don't expect miracles to happen over night, and you can eat anything in moderation and be healthy. It does take time, but people make it much harder than it really needs to be.

Did it ever occur to you that some of the skinny people in this group were larger and put the time in so kind of know what they are talking about?

Can't speak for all but ... kind of a judgmental post.