Deepfrying

Options
ninavdd
ninavdd Posts: 18 Member
Hi guys,

I tried googling this but Google leaves me hanging. I made some mini croquettes for dinner tonight for my boyfriend and I stole one. Don't stop reading because I will not ask if it will make me fat. :)

I weighed it and logged it, but I started thinking this is probably the amount of calories before deep frying. But how do you calculate the extra for deep frying?

Any ideas?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Weigh oil before and after you fry, the difference is how much ended up in your food; divide by number of things/servings fried.
  • ninavdd
    Options
    Aha, good idea! Thanks!

Edited to say that I have a deep fryer and I can't really weigh my oil. But I can weigh the croquettes. It will be off a little but not that much, I suppose.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That's hard to guess. If it absorbs very little oil while deep frying it will still increase calories by a good 50%. If it absorbs a lot of the oil, it can double the calories, or more (from what I read on a google search). But browse yourself, you may find something better than that.

https://www.google.com/#q=how+many+calories+are+added+by+deep+frying
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I love fried food and eat it semi regularly. I usually estimate the oil because it is very difficult to get it right even when you try hard. I probably over estimate though.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Aha, good idea! Thanks!

Edited to say that I have a deep fryer and I can't really weigh my oil. But I can weigh the croquettes. It will be off a little but not that much, I suppose.

Keep in mind that you will likely cook off some moisture from your food. So weighing them uncooked/cooked wont be accurate either. Do the best you can and dont worry about it too much.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Depending on your scales, you could quite possibly weight the entire deep fat fryer.
    Then weight it after. Though, you still won't get an entirely accurate figure as you tend to get bits of food left in there too.
    For weighing the indivdual items, that's more reasonable, but they may well release water, say - so your calculations could be down a good chunk if 20g of water is released and they absorb 25g of oil. Apparent gain is 5g (45calories), but actually they've gained 25g or 225 calories!
  • ninavdd
    Options
    I'm not really worrying. I did only eat one :)
    Just wondering for future reference, because I do love homemade french fries and I would probably want to eat more than one!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i have an oilless fryer.

Problem solved.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Try to visualize how many tablespoons of butter it would take to make 'em shine and that likely won't be too far off. The calories will likely not be as bad as you're figuring - fat doesn't do stealthy without a horde of unpronounceables so unlike with prepackaged things every bit of grease will be noticed.
  • ninavdd
    Options
    i have an oilless fryer.

Problem solved.

The belgian in me disapproves :)

Thanks everybody! I'll just add half a tbs of oil. That should be plenty!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i have an oilless fryer.

Problem solved.

LOL. They aren't for everyone. Doesn't taste the same as stuff that is actually fried, but my tummy doesn't complain and neither does my taste buds or waist line. LOL

I have yet to try a pastry in it.. but fries and chicken and vegetables are amazing :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    i have an oilless fryer.
    While they're "Not the same", they're certainly pretty tasty - house mates where I lived last actually preferred them to normal chips they reckoned.

Looking forward to my 'bulk' which should be starting soon and will need lots of carbs, so will have to dig it out again :).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    i have an oilless fryer.

Problem solved.

A tbsp........that's being very cautious....I doubt it's even 1/4 of a tsp.