No scale

Options
I don't own a scale and honestly I'm too poor to purchase one. I only get weighed at the doctor's office every couple of months. I'm wondering if i really need to save up to buy one. Are daily/weekly/monthly weigh-ins really that important to reaching your goals?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Take pictures and take measurements. It is a better indicator of your progress. If you go to a gym, although you say you are broke, many of them have a scale you can use.

Most people will tell you the scale lies anyway. Scales are second cousin to cake, you know.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Can you afford a cloth measuring tape? Use that to track your measurements. And just get weighed at the doctor every so often. I bet they'd let you come in 1x a month to do a weight check without an appointment or charging you. Just ask. :) Otherwise, don't worry about it!
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a tape measure and take measurements! Scales are great but people become overly dependant and to be honest obsessed on them! Focus on healthy eating and exercise and the rest will happen. If you need any help on where and how to take measurements to make sure you can compare, let me know!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Actually, some swear it's better if you don't weight often. I weigh everyday just to spot my trends so I know what I did wrong the previous day. There is nothing wrong with weighing yourself once a month. Like the previous posters said, a measuring tape is all you really need. Scales lie to you.
  • ButterflyEffectLiz
    ButterflyEffectLiz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as far as not having a scale or the money to purchase one. If you really want to weigh yourself and don't want to or can't afford to purchase a scale there are alternatives. For example, when I lived in Kansas City there was a company that supplied hospital beds and transfer slings for hospitals that weighs people that would let me come and weigh myself. Now, where I live I can go to the local hospital and go up to the same day surgery floor and use their scale.

Although, I agree with Josalinn, a scale is not always the best reflection of your progress. It is better to take pictures and/or measurements.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Take measurements until your able to buy one. My doctors office gave me a free soft measuring tape at my visit one time, so just ask they should have some. Maybe you could use a friends scale or neighbors scale every few weeks to check your weight also check second hand shops, maybe they have a scale cheap. I found dumb bells at a garage sale a few years ago and still have them :-)
  • ButterflyEffectLiz
    ButterflyEffectLiz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a clothing tape measure you can use yarn or something pliable and then measure the length with a yard stick, rule or builder's measuring tape.:wink:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Are scales that expensive? Do you have any friends that you could borrow theirs?!

In the meantime, yes measure yourself for something you can track your results.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    you can get a measuring tape at the dollar store.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are scales that expensive? Do you have any friends that you could borrow theirs?!

In the meantime, yes measure yourself for something you can track your results.

^This!

Go basic......don't worry about all the fancy stuff they have now (most of it is not terrible accurate anyway).

You might check out thrift stores in the area. If someone got rid of a scale that was too high, too low....so what...you are looking for a comparison.....using the same scale (right or wrong) will give you the comparison.
  • ngood10720
    ngood10720 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do they have one someone at your job?
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Progress photos are also a great tool, and (assuming you own a cell phone), you probably already have a camera to use, no money spent. :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking pictures and measurements. I also use the way my clothes fit as an indicator. I hate the scale I think that it is evil!!! For some strange reason if I can or lose when I get weighed I tend to overeat therefore I don't get on the thing at all. I did say that I would weigh once a month just out of curiosity, but I have not done that either. Good luck to you!!!1
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Is your doc's office nearby enough to go to more often? If so, check with them to see if you can come in to use the scale once a week or once every couple weeks. When my doc found out I was losing weight, she said I can stop in anytime and let the receptionist know I just wanted to weigh in and it was no problem.

The scale I use works very well and was fairly inexpensive - just under $15 at WalMart! I've had it for at least 3 years and never had a problem. As other said, there's no need for all the bells and whistles

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Healthometer-LED-Split-Mat-Bath-Scale/10264542
  • knbw7788
    knbw7788 Posts: 4
    Options
    Measuring tape it is! I have an almost one year old so trips to the doctor just wouldn't be very convenient for me. Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I had almost lost faith in forums (was expecting a bunch of "buy a flipping scale" comments). It's good to know there is support out there!
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    I'm too big for docs scale I got mine at http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/talking-bathroom-scales.html weighs up to 550 lbs but they also have one for 600-800lbs. I paid $49.42 for mine and it talks to me which is great because I cant see the screen as of yet. There are other kinds some cheaper some higher depends on what you want.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself even at MD. I go by how I feel and my clothes. I am a size 10. That is the size I can maintain without making myself crazy. It allows me to drink several beers once a week. I hate a # on a scale. But, many people need to see the #.
    I say whatever works.
  • grumblefluff
    grumblefluff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale either, can't see the numbers over my gut anyway LOL...but my local Walmart and Kroger stores have blood pressure monitor with a scale on it, you just put your feet up on it and it does its thing and I can read it and everything...I weighed 302 to start, so IDK what the limit is, but it seems pretty accurate compared with other scales I've weighed on here and there as opportunity strikes
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My advice is make your first scale purchase a digital food scale when you can afford it. That will help you achieve your goals way better than a bodyweight scale.

You can use a mirror and how your clothes are fitting for free to get visual results.