Plateau Busters?

Options
Hey All,

I've been trying to get more active the last couple of months and for the last two weeks have been doing great with both diet and exercise. However, two weeks tends to be my plateau point and I quickly get discouraged afterwards. I've been losing my 2lbs a week and I really don't want to stop. Any advice on how to keep myself from plateauing, or at least keep myself motivated when I do?

Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the answer to this one. I'm in a similar spot.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Just keep changing it up. Do different workouts; even doing exercises in a different order can help. Also with your calories don't allow your body to adjust; If your normal is 1500 calories throw a day or two in each week where you get to 2000.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Plateaus don't exist, as long as you're accurately weighing and logging your food, the weight loss will continue. Keep in mind however that it's not a linear process, some weeks you'll lose nothing, the next you could lose 3-4 pounds. It all equals out in the end, but if a person stalls out for months on end, it's because they're not logging accurately or honestly.

Rigger
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau. Its a minor stall. Most people do well in the first 2-5 weeks (depending on how much they need to lose) due to water weight. Eating healthier, reducing portions, controlling sodium intake and adding exercise will bode success. But then your body adjusts and starts to live with the new 'diet' and exercise. You need to push through and be patient.

Also if that is you in the PP, 2lbs per week is very zealous. You may need to re-evaluate and be prepared for .5-1lb loss and be hapy with that. As the saying goes - "You did not gain over night and you will not lose overnight"

Keep up with what you're doing if it has been working - push through the stall and be patient!!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Also if you do plateau add some calories...
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Amanda, my body also "plateaus" very quickly...but it responds whenever I do something different...constantly need to be attentive to not fall into repetitive ruts. I've been getting the help from a personal trainer who is helping with that. Switched my exercise routine to do strength training first and then cardio. Keep increasing the weights. Also dramatically increased the amount of water I drink and my body really responded to that. For one week only, I am going very low carb. Keep "shocking" and surprising :-)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Just stop weighing yourself. Make getting healthy about strength or athletic goals.
  • benebabe
    benebabe Posts: 13
    Options
    I feel your pain! I just started getting back on track 15 days ago. I cut out soda completely and have been traking my calories. I also just walked my firs 5k this past weekend. I usually will lose 1.5 to 2 lbs per week even without exercise. This time around I have lost NOTHING so far! It is so hard to stick to it when I feel like I am not seeing any results. We just have to hang in there :)
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What recently worked for me? Drink more water. Really - I was amazed.