Catabolic Foods

Options
Somebody asked this question the other day, I have found the answers. :bigsmile:

http://ezinearticles.com/?A-List-of-Foods-That-Burn-Fat-Fast:-Go-Catabolic&id=380599

Here's the article:

It's a basic principle of weight loss.

Every item of food you put in your mouth contains calories. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

Some foods, like a piece of chocolate cake slathered with chocolate icing, are high in calories, and take a while to burn off. Other foods, like lettuce, are low in calories, and can be burned off faster.

Your body is always burning calories, even if you're sitting still and doing nothing. But being physically active helps you burn calories faster.

So, what are the foods that burn fat fast?

Catabolic foods burn more calories than they contain. For example, an apple contains around 80 or 90 calories. But the energy your body uses to metabolize the apple burns about 180 calories. So, when you eat an apple, your body burns off up to 100 calories more than you consumed.

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Here is a list of high catabolic foods.

Apples

Asparagus

Blackberries

Blueberries

Broccoli

Cantaloupe

Carrots

Celery

Cucumbers

Eggplant

Grapefruit

Lemons

Lettuce

Limes

Oranges

Pears

Peppers

Pineapple

Plums

Radishes

Raspberries

Sweet Potatoes

Strawberries

Tomatoes

Watermelon

Zucchini

Now, this doesn't mean you can eat a slice of chocolate cake, and then eat five apples to make up for it. What it does mean is, if you are on a diet, eating certain foods will help you burn calories and lose weight faster. These are also foods you can snack on throughout the day, satisfying your hunger without worrying about ruining your diet.

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • COURTNEYL22
    COURTNEYL22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I would take this information with a grain of salt. Most of the reputable research I've found suggests that the "catabolic diet" concept is a myth, and that our bodies don't really worth that way. If these foods were truly catabolic, then you would eventually starve to death if you ate only catabolic foods (since your calorie expenditure would always be more than what you ate). Here's one link that explains it all pretty clearly:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ans/psychology/health_psychology/catabolic.htm

Edited to add: Not to say the foods on that list aren't healthy - they're great! But they really shouldn't be considered any better than other fruits/vegetables.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I guess you can take it however, somebody asked this the other day and I was curious so I researched it. I'm not saying this diet is the way to go, but eating these foods certainly isn't going to hurt you. Of course I'm not saying eat JUST these foods, and I would like to think others would not assume that since we're all on this site and should know better by now.
  • IceFaith
    Options
    Very interesting information. It has to have some weight to it, no pun intended. It would take your body more energy to metabolize different foods. If a raw apple vs chocolate cake...a raw apple is in it's raw form, your body has to break it down from the beginning. the chocolate cake, is already pretty highly processed.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Negative calorie food.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Sweet!!! I just ate an orange.... ;-)
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would take this information with a grain of salt. Most of the reputable research I've found suggests that the "catabolic diet" concept is a myth, and that our bodies don't really worth that way. If these foods were truly catabolic, then you would eventually starve to death if you ate only catabolic foods (since your calorie expenditure would always be more than what you ate). Here's one link that explains it all pretty clearly:

Edited to add: Not to say the foods on that list aren't healthy - they're great! But they really shouldn't be considered any better than other fruits/vegetables.

How about a mountain of salt. The idea of "negative calorie" is an urban myth that is even older than me. Just Google the topic and in seconds, you will have all the info you need to forget about this silly idea forever.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

How about a mountain of salt. The idea of "negative calorie" is an urban myth that is even older than me. Just Google the topic and in seconds, you will have all the info you need to forget about this silly idea forever.
    It does not matter if it's true or not. All I need to know is they are low calorie (except sweet potatoes.. but it's a good starch),
    high nutrients and vitamins. Eating them are definitely will help me to lose weight.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This urban myth is easily debunked by one of my friends...an overweight vegetarian...but I digress.

But, yes, those foods are very healthy and will contribute to weight loss and good health if eaten in the correct amounts and keeping within your calorie goal. :flowerforyou:
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    Are you kidding me? How can people write such bogus information - I am a physician who has done extensive studying on nutrition and you do not burn 100 or 180 whatever they said calories to digest an apple!!

Please do not believe such misinformation. I do believe in eating clean and that it takes calories to digest food and that eating lean protein, low glycemic carbs, healthy fats will rev your metabolism however the number is minimal. Eat clean, excercise, get your sleep, keep your stress levels (cortisol) low and you will lose weight.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if it's true or not. All I need to know is they are low calorie (except sweet potatoes.. but it's a good starch),
    high nutrients and vitamins. Eating them are definitely will help me to lose weight.

I'm sorry, for most people it *does* matter if a piece of "information" is true or not. You're free to stop caring about truth, but then, good luck for you staying alive. Your choices would be entirely based on guesswork, and you'd be completely at the mercy of fads and clever marketing. They might as well say that Jesus Christ said these foods are holier than others. This is not how decisions about your diet should be made.

A list of healthy foods is GREAT, especially if it comes with an explanation of why they are beneficial, and for whom, and in which circumstance (because really, often it depends on your goals and circumstances - weight loss; weight gain; muscle gain; recovery; rehabilitation; sleep-deprived shift work... whatever!).

So posting a list of undoubtedly healthy and overall beneficial foodstuffs with a completely bogus explanation is not something I would support.
  • NicoleLynn723
    Options
    Okay I'm working with a fitness trainer as well as a nutritional doctor and they both gave me a list sort of like this one. And it does work. But if you eat nothing but catabolic foods your body eventually will start to hold on to all nutrients and in turn you will gain weight because it will store all food as fat to hold on to energy