Working out at night

Options
2»

Replies

• kendraj07
    kendraj07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so late afternoon works best for me. I love to workout at 4:30...it gives me a second wind. I get home and have the energy needed to take care of dinner, kids, homework, etc...
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really don't like night workouts. I ride that runner's high for way too long and it's a miracle if I get to bed before midnight. As opposed to the others that said lifting makes them sleepy, I am just the opposite! I hate (and I mean HAAAAATE) getting up ridiculously early for a workout, but I find that it wakes me up more and I have energy throughout the whole day instead of wanting to take a nap by noon!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If I had to work out in the morning I'd never work out. I have tried and failed miserably to get my butt out of bed early enough to work out in the morning. That said - I LOVE working out after I get home from work (between 5-6pm). I do not allow myself to get in the house and sit down, I put on my workout clothes and get to it right away (I workout from home, running, Insanity and biking). I haven't found this to interfere with my evening energy or ability to sleep - most of the time I exhaust myself pretty well with my work out that after my shower and eating I'm good and relaxed/stress free for the evening.

Give it a try! What have you got to lose?

This is pretty much me too, except I go to the gym straight from work. I've found that if I work out at night then I eat dinner later and am less likely to want to snack. Plus I HATE getting up early and when I tried the effort I put into it was not worth waking up early.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Over my lifetime I have worked out at all hours - early morning just after rising, immediately after getting off work, late night just before bed, on my lunch hour, in the afternoon (when I was working nights).

What time I did the workout never made much difference. The intensity of the workout makes a lot of difference. Find the time that allows you to really give it your all.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have read that the optimum time for exercise is late afternoon. Can't site any source, search it. :bigsmile:
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My hubby works retail, I work 8-5 every day and we have two kids = I work out when his schedule allows.

That being said when I do get to the gym, Generally 6-days a week, I do 45 mins of cardio to start and then 45-65 mins of weights (yes I'm there for 1.5+ hrs.) - when I am able to go at night I don't leave home until 8:30 and am home no later than 10:30 - and in bed by 11:30 at the latest to get up 6:30 for my day the next day.

Now IF I have to go in the morning I am up at 5:30 (ideally) and to the gym by 5:40 - and I'm only able to get 35 mins of cardio w/abt 20 mins of weights if I am lucky.

The cardio gets me pumped for weights - the weights make me tired - a warm shower brings me down even more and BAM good to roll!
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I cannot workout late afternoon/early evening. I'm up at 4:15 AM Monday through Friday to get my workout completed. I like having it out of the way - I know it gets done this way! By the time the end of the workday rolls around and drive an hour home w/o traffic, that's the last thing I want to do is go home and jump on the treadmill or pop in the workout video (not that I haven't but I prefer not to workout at that time of day).
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Kudos to all of you. Thank you!