advice from women who have lost alot of weight

Options
Hi ladies

I have lost 45lbs so far, probably need to lose same again but im not looking that far ahead, setting my goals for every 5lbs now. Anyway i have noticed my belly needs seriously toned up. I cant get to a gym and due to limited space i dont want to waste money on things that wont work. Do you have any recommendations of exercises or fitness equipment that would help. I have a cross trainer and rowing machine (although its not built up).

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates at home - either stream them via Amazon or do DVD's. I also do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (includes ab work) plus her 6 Week 6 Pack and Killer Abs DVD's.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The best way is to lose body fat percentage which changes when you eat enough protein and when you do strength training like lifting weights. I personally use a barbell and do compound moves such as deadlifts, squats, bench presses and overhead presses. You can do strength training using just your body weight too. You can google body weight exercises for ideas. I also am a big fan of yoga which has increased my strength, flexibility and my emotional/mental health.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A rower would be awesome for HIIT or even longer duration cardio if you're into that.

Otherwise, I suggest lifting. (Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, etc.). I wish I had started lifting from day one. Cardio made me smaller, but lifting is what actually changed my body.

And yeah, I second the part about diet. Losing fat comes from a calorie deficit, and you don't get to choose where it comes off. But lifting will help you retain your lean body mass while you are losing fat so that you have a firmer, "toned" body in the end.
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Matt Roberts home workout (book - easy to get on Ebay), Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Insanity DVD - I got mine on gumtree for £25. I also do Pilates at a studio which is awesome for core strength & will work on your tummy from the insight muscles out. Most of all have fun and do something YOU enjoy the most...that way it becomes sustainable.
  • weewdy
    weewdy Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Any links to good exercises etc would also be appreciated. Going to look into 30 day shred.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a smart phone app that I believe is available on both iPhone and Android. I put it on my Kindle too. It is "Free Ab Workout" and the icon is a little stick figure doing a sit up. I choose the 10 minute workout, and it has you do 10 moves for a minute each. I repeat it 3 times for a 30 minute ab workout. I am usually REALLY sore afterwards, so I believe it works pretty well. I still have some belly fat over what would be my abs, but my waist has gotten smaller since doing this.