Amazon Instant video

Options
pawnstarNate
pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
so, I'm playing around with the roku last night and decide I'll try the free month of Amazon Instant Video....get on the phone and click, click, clickety click, I sign up. It didn't look right though so, I logged into my bank and Boom! $99 out of my account. I'm like wth? I apparently signed up for Amazon Prime. So, I call amazon and explain to them what happened. She said pleasantly "you've already used your free trial in august of 2013 on your kindle fire" :grumble: :grumble: darn kids!!! Great customer service though. She even asked me if I was over drawn now on my account and if I was, they could refund me the over draft fee. Not over drawn though but, I thought that was nice of them to offer. Anywho, I'm off subject. We've had Netflix for awhile now and get a lot of use out of it with 3 kids at home. Any of you use amazon instant video? Pro's/Con's? I did notice it had quite a few more network and cable shows than Netflix.

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. I like them all for different reasons. I do Amazon Prime more for the free 2 day shipping than anything, but the Prime videos are nice as well. You don't need to have Prime to watch Instant videos on Amazon, you will just end up paying rental fees for all videos.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Amazon Prime is so worth it. I get tons of stuff from there, can't beat free two day shipping. I get food, clothes, supplements, household things like paper towels, and then all the TV and movies for the iPad/computer/Kindle/TV are great too. I'm locked in at the $79 price, but I would buy even at $99 for sure.
  • pawnstarNate
    Options
    I use both Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Some kids shows like SongeBob Squarpants, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Dora The Explorer moved to Amazon, so that's why we use it. Between the two, you can find just about anything. The Prime free 2 day shipping is nice. Also, you don't have to worry about a lot of rental fees in you have Prime.

yeh, I'm not all that disappointed now that I signed up for prime. Because we do order off of amazon a couple times a month. Will have to peer more into the video's and shows. I did notice they have Victorious which made my 8 yr old girl make funny squeaky excited laughing noises. lol
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you order a lot of things online, Prime is definitely worth it. You just can't beat free 2 day shipping, plus Amazon just carries such a variety of items that you can really find almost anything.

You can also ship to multiple addresses, so at least for my family, we all split the price so it isn't too bad.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I agree, Amazon Prime is a great value, even at the higher $99 price. I sometimes watch free Prime movies. More often I'll watch TV series. I've found a number of shows I'd never heard of before, tried them and liked them. It's nice being able to watch on your own schedule and go through an entire season in a couple days, and then cue up the next season and start in on that.

Note: I only watch an hour or two a day. I don't have time to go through a whole season without interruption. But it's nice to know I could if I wanted to.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We use amazon prime, netflix and hulu as opposed to cable or satellite tv and couldn't be happier. It streams right to our systems and usually never has a hiccup. LOVE the service. Plus it comes in handy when buying stuff with the free shipping! All total we spend less than 400 dollars a year on our tv viewing.
  • pawnstarNate
    Options
    We use amazon prime, netflix and hulu as opposed to cable or satellite tv and couldn't be happier. It streams right to our systems and usually never has a hiccup. LOVE the service. Plus it comes in handy when buying stuff with the free shipping! All total we spend less than 400 dollars a year on our tv viewing.

yeh, I dumped Directv 2 months ago when I bought the roku 3. The only thing I think I will miss though is a few college football games on espn.
  • pilatesXOpixie
    pilatesXOpixie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Used the trial for prime recently and ended up keeping it I enjoyed it so much.

Just found some Jillian Michaels videos on there, gonna have to try one out tonight.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been a prime member for years, but I just synced my TV a few minutes ago because of this thread. Right off the bat, there are 3 movies listed that I've been meaning to watch but didn't want to pay to rent on Apple TV and weren't on Netflix.

Thank you OP. Sorry you didn't get the free month deal.
  • pawnstarNate
    Options
    I've been a prime member for years, but I just synced my TV a few minutes ago because of this thread. Right off the bat, there are 3 movies listed that I've been meaning to watch but didn't want to pay to rent on Apple TV and weren't on Netflix.

Thank you OP. Sorry you didn't get the free month deal.

You're welcome. If I can help one person a day, my life feels more complete! :wink:

tumblr_mwvbnhynbq1stnfc1o1_400.gif
  • cyncynmar
    cyncynmar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have both Netflix & Prime, love the 2 day shipping and have both sync on my pc, laptop, ipad & phone, both are well worth it! PS...I don't have cable at all and never miss it
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. I like them all for different reasons. I do Amazon Prime more for the free 2 day shipping than anything, but the Prime videos are nice as well. You don't need to have Prime to watch Instant videos on Amazon, you will just end up paying rental fees for all videos.

This. For show watching, I usually hit Netflix or Hulu. But my husband loves Amazon Prime for Game of Thrones, Suits, and Homeland episodes. He pays for them, but it's still cheaper than cable. (Also, people tend to give him Amazon cards as gifts so he doesn't even end up personally paying for them)
    And we use Amazon a lot for ordering items, so the free, fast shipping is a plus.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I use Netflix more for shows (great for kids shows) and use my prime when I can't find something I want on Netflix. I primarily have the Prime for the 2 day shipping and free books.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have Prime for the 2 day shipping. I haven't found much I want to watch lately but I'm planning on watching some stuff this Summer (Downtown Abbey among others). But I've used it a lot - Suits, Grimm, Doctor Who... No Netflix for now until Orange is the New Black comes back.
  • lildebbie121
    lildebbie121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have Amazon Prime and really like it. Not only do I like the 2 day shipping and monthly subscriptions, but I also found several Jillian Michaels workouts that are free to stream as a Prime member. There are many of TV shows and some old classic movies that aren't found on Netflix.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I use Netflix, Amazon Instant, and Crunchyroll :love:

Amazon Instant Video began as a cool perk that came with the free 2 day shipping but now I use it a lot for movie rentals and keeping current on TV shows since I don't subscribe to cable. Netflix I mostly use for watching documentaries, and Crunchyroll is for my anime addiction. Love them all!