The Doctors Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about weight loss and good health, go Keto or Paleo. Current science backs up low carb/high fat.
    No.

If you're serious about weight loss, eat less calories than you burn while eating the foods that you love. Period.

Moderation is the key.

OP, I have not heard of The Doctor's Diet. However, all that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

If all it took was to eat less calories, we would all just eat less of whatever we liked and be lean machines and it just doesn't work like that. Calorie restriction never worked for me. In fact after an initial loss I ended up gaining while feeling miserable and hungry all the time. That is not a diet. It is torture!
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about weight loss and good health, go Keto or Paleo. Current science backs up low carb/high fat.
    No.

If you're serious about weight loss, eat less calories than you burn while eating the foods that you love. Period.

Moderation is the key.

OP, I have not heard of The Doctor's Diet. However, all that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

If all it took was to eat less calories, we would all just eat less of whatever we liked and be lean machines and it just doesn't work like that. Calorie restriction never worked for me. In fact after an initial loss I ended up gaining while feeling miserable and hungry all the time. That is not a diet. It is torture!

I'm going to say this in the most respectful way I can. The fact is, eating less calories than you burn IS all it takes. That's the main basis around every single diet in existence. The reason why everyone's not a lean machine is because some can't adhere to their diet, some don't even try and eat whatever in excess. You gained because of water retention or you actually were on a calorie surplus for a while. Make sure to track your food and weigh as much as you can.
  • Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No.

Moderation is the key.

You are being ignorant of proven science.

Keto is a valid method of dieting, BUT it doesn't invalidate calories in/out.
  • WordWhimsy
    WordWhimsy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book, The Doctors Diet, by Travis Stork? I was thinking about buying it and was wondering what reviews there are out there. Thanks!

So here is a legit reply. I have read the book (from the library) and I liked it. I started yesterday and am doing well. Going to give it a go for a month or at least until it's due.

If I can make it that long, I'll buy the book, or write down the important stuff. Let me know if you decide to do it, and we can buddy up and encourage each other.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    From what I can gather, this Doctor's diet is just a rehash of the old fashioned low fat dogma that doesn't work with some sugar taken out to appear healthy.

It would be a waste of money. You might as well eat Doctor Who's fish fingers and custard. You would still end up fat and diabetic but it would be more enjoyable ;)

If the OP is truly serious, then she should read up on proper nutrition and not go on any overly restrictive and/or fad diet that is based on arbitrary exclusion.

That said, sounds like this Doctor's diet is more mainstream BS sold to the uninformed masses.

It's your OPINION that keto/paleo is a fad or restrictive. :flowerforyou:

Paleo restricts grains. That is a restrictive diet...
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No.

Moderation is the key.

You did not gain while eating a deficit. Period.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    From what I can gather, this Doctor's diet is just a rehash of the old fashioned low fat dogma that doesn't work with some sugar taken out to appear healthy.

It would be a waste of money. You might as well eat Doctor Who's fish fingers and custard. You would still end up fat and diabetic but it would be more enjoyable ;)

If the OP is truly serious, then she should read up on proper nutrition and not go on any overly restrictive and/or fad diet that is based on arbitrary exclusion.

That said, sounds like this Doctor's diet is more mainstream BS sold to the uninformed masses.

It's your OPINION that keto/paleo is a fad or restrictive. :flowerforyou:

And the restriction isn't arbitrary at all. You may disagree with the reasons for the restrictions, but that doesn't make it arbitrary.

In the end, calorie restriction is probably going to be your biggest help in losing weight. But, how you chose to restrict calories may make you much more or less successful. For example, getting sufficient protein helps you maintain or minimize the loss of lean body mass while in a caloric deficit. Many people that eat keto or paleo/primal find it much easier to stay under their calorie goals due to the high satiation of good fats, protein and carbs primarily from vegetables and fruits. Others find this too restrictive and opt more for a moderation in food choices approach.

No way is better or worse than the other as a general rule. It's more about what is better or worse for you as individual. Some NEED carbs. Others find that they feel much better without many carbs. They're both valid paths up the mountain.