to whoever tried 1000 calories a day?

Options
I know it may be unhealthy but I don't exercise and I took the semester off because of serve depression
I live in an Arabic third world country so I'm not sure what they offer me is true
I found a company that will deliver diet meals to my house ... and I choose 1000 calorie per day
but I found the food is too much ... I'm not sure if is it really 1000 calorie??
a burger a pasta a dessert lots of cheese two pieces of fruits and a lot more
without dieting ... I usually eat much less than that ... and I'm around 70 kilos >> i don't know how to use the pounds
can 1000 be that much of food??

Replies

• Aya1119
    Aya1119 Posts: 6
    Options
    up
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it is against TOS to promote unhealthy diets. 1000 calories a day is considered below the safe healthy level.

As for your question, really depends on the food.

I can make a turkey burger: (320 calories)
    200 calories for the patty
    70 calories for bread (if I use the diet bread that is 35 calories a slice)
    45 calories for cheese slice (depends on brand/type of cheese)

Pasta:
    I made a pot of spaghetti that served 3 people the other day. 762 calories for the whole pot (254 calories a serving).
    162 calories from the sauce (1.01 cups pasta sauce)
    600 calories from whole grain thin spaghetti (3 servings @ 200 calories a serving)

Desert:
    Totally depends on what it is.

Fruit:
    Depends. Some fruits have more calories than others.
    100grams of Apple is 52 calories. The apple I had the other day (minus the core) ended up being 97 calories.
    100 grams of Banana is 89 calories.
    100 grams of Grapes is 67 calories.
    100 grams of Cantaloupe is 34 calories.

So the food you are getting could very well be the equivalent to 1000 calories.

****I eat way more than 1000 calories per day when I'm losing weight. Currently pregnant and not trying to lose weight.****
  • ksg614
    ksg614 Posts: 2
    Options
    I believe that eating/consuming anything less than 1200 calories per day puts your body into starvation mode. when you eat less than 1200 calories, your body will hold on to everything you eat to survive which is counter productive with weight loss. Your best bet is to eat 1200 calories, or more if you need to. Exercising gives you more calories to consume to reach your goal. I use 1200 calories as a goal, but there are days I go over, and if I exercise there are days I am "under". Good luck, and if you are having trouble it might be of help to see a nutritionist ;)
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It's seriously shocking to me people actually consider, or even try, a diet of only 1000 calories a day.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You're in a third world country where you can have burgers delivered to your house?
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    I did intermittent fasting and had 400 cals on my fast days, picking carefully I could get quite a lot of food for my calories!

So it could be right.

You do need to eat more than 1000 tho. I was often under my cals and I stopped losing, now eat more and have started losing again.

NB...the body doesn't instantly go into starvation mode, takes a couple of weeks to kick in, also takes it a couple of weeks to realise food is plentiful again.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You're in a third world country where you can have burgers delivered to your house?

This also caught my interest. :indifferent:
  • Aya1119
    Options
    CuddlyFish .. What .. you only think third world countries are only in south Africa?
    all Arabic countries are third world countries
    or you don't think Arabic counties have companies to deliver food?
    hmm
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

This also caught my interest. :indifferent:

Third world does not mean total absence of luxuries. The OP evidently has the internet too...shock horror!!
  • pilatesXOpixie
    pilatesXOpixie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "A Third World country is a country whose views are not aligned with NATO and capitalism or the Soviet Union and communism. The use of the term Third World started during the Cold War and was used to identify which of three categories the countries of the world aligned with."

But OP, I would focus on the advice given not to eat under 1200 calories.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "A Third World country is a country whose views are not aligned with NATO and capitalism or the Soviet Union and communism. The use of the term Third World started during the Cold War and was used to identify which of three categories the countries of the world aligned with."

But OP, I would focus on the advice given not to eat under 1200 calories.

Well you learn something new every day. I always thought it was synonymous with 'developing' and everything that goes with it.

Oh, and OP - I've been laid up with a chest infection and thus didn't do any real exercise for 4-5 months. I was eating 1600-2500 calories a day (depending on how well I felt), and I've put on about 4 lbs. Even if you don't move, you can eat more than you think.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

third world =/= poor. it's just used as a euphamism for poor, because most of the poor countries in the world are 3rd world

1st world = USA and all USA's allies in the cold war

2nd world = USSR (Russia etc) and all its allies in the cold war

3rd world = all the countries that were not allied to either the USA or USSR in the cold war

I currently live in a very nice apartment with a large balcony and all mod cons, earning a nice wage in a 3rd world country that has skyscrapers and huge shopping malls and is currently hosting a Grand Prix.

AFAIK all the Arab countries are 3rd world.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    OP - what country are you in? And what company is doing this diet thing? I've seen a few advertised locally.

You need to eat more than 1000 calories a day. Maybe you can switch to a higher calorie diet with this company? If you used to eat a diet typical of Gulf Arabs then you probably were eating more than 3000 calories a day.... you don't need to cut to the lowest amount of calories to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn off.

What calorie ranges are available for these meals? If you use a calculator you can work out how many calories a day you need to eat to lose, and choose a calorie number for your meals that's close to that.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories for dinner.
  • Aya1119
    Options
    Keep in mind that it is against TOS to promote unhealthy diets. 1000 calories a day is considered below the safe healthy level.

As for your question, really depends on the food.

I can make a turkey burger: (320 calories)
    200 calories for the patty
    70 calories for bread (if I use the diet bread that is 35 calories a slice)
    45 calories for cheese slice (depends on brand/type of cheese)

Pasta:
    I made a pot of spaghetti that served 3 people the other day. 762 calories for the whole pot (254 calories a serving).
    162 calories from the sauce (1.01 cups pasta sauce)
    600 calories from whole grain thin spaghetti (3 servings @ 200 calories a serving)

Desert:
    Totally depends on what it is.

Fruit:
    Depends. Some fruits have more calories than others.
    100grams of Apple is 52 calories. The apple I had the other day (minus the core) ended up being 97 calories.
    100 grams of Banana is 89 calories.
    100 grams of Grapes is 67 calories.
    100 grams of Cantaloupe is 34 calories.

So the food you are getting could very well be the equivalent to 1000 calories.

****I eat way more than 1000 calories per day when I'm losing weight. Currently pregnant and not trying to lose weight.****

Thank you very much .. very useful
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    but I found the food is too much ... I'm not sure if is it really 1000 calorie??
    a burger a pasta a dessert lots of cheese two pieces of fruits and a lot more

A quarter pound burger made with lean mince is less than 200. 2 pieces of fruit 100 cals.

The cheese is about 4 calories per gram.
  • Aya1119
    Options
    OP - what country are you in? And what company is doing this diet thing? I've seen a few advertised locally.

You need to eat more than 1000 calories a day. Maybe you can switch to a higher calorie diet with this company? If you used to eat a diet typical of Gulf Arabs then you probably were eating more than 3000 calories a day.... you don't need to cut to the lowest amount of calories to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn off.

What calorie ranges are available for these meals? If you use a calculator you can work out how many calories a day you need to eat to lose, and choose a calorie number for your meals that's close to that.

yes in a Gulf country
    I took 1000 because I don't do any activities yet
    and I know that I WILL cheat with dates and coffee
    so i had that in mind
    it's called diet watchers if the name is correct
    I remember 2000, 1500,1200,1000 .. but it could be that there are more
    but as I said I will eat somethings from the house that will get me to 1300 easily
  • Aya1119
    Options
    thank you all for your informations
  • cakesyme
    cakesyme Posts: 20
    Options
    I did once.

NEVER AGAIN.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

yes in a Gulf country
    I took 1000 because I don't do any activities yet
    and I know that I WILL cheat with dates and coffee
    so i had that in mind
    it's called diet watchers if the name is correct
    I remember 2000, 1500,1200,1000 .. but it could be that there are more
    but as I said I will eat somethings from the house that will get me to 1300 easily

with the dates and coffee the 1000 calorie option sounds reasonable now... dates are a really good source of vitamins and minerals too, so keep eating those, and finding ways to carry on eating what you enjoy eating including the coffee

a good option would be to set your calorie goal on here, log the meals you get through this company and then use your MFP calorie goal to know how much extra stuff to eat as well, like dates, coffee or anything else you can fit into the goal. If you have calories to spare then eating fruit or snacks containing protein e.g. eggs, labaneh* or similar, to reach your calorie goal. Eating too little isn't good for you, so try to reach your calorie goal. And it's important to get enough protein.

*almarai low fat labaneh is the one that has the highest amount of protein for the amount of calories out of all the brands available where I live

1300 calories a day sounds reasonable if you're inactive, but if/when you start exercising you should eat more including eating more protein... you can log your exercise on here and it'll tell you how many extra calories you can eat. Eat around 80% of your exercise calories (sometimes this site can overestimate them so eating only 80% is better).

hope that helps. You can get online calculators, e.g. Harris Benedict, Katch McArdle, which can estimate how many calories you're burning each day, and you eat less than this. If you have a lot of fat to lose then eat 20% less. If you're just trying to shift the last 5 kg or so then eat 10% less.