Just started the 5x5...

Options
I'm a 24 year old female, 5'5" 138 lbs. Goal weight is 130 lbs. This morning, I started the SL5x5 program with my new lifting equipment at home (yay!). As instructed, I used only the bar on all of the moves.

I accidentally did the wrong exercise (it's three moves; leave it to me to get the A and B mixed up). I ended up doing squats, bench presses, and overhead presses instead of rows. I figure I'll do squats, deadlifts, and rows Wednesday, the same workout I did today on Friday, and then I'll do the correct Workout A and B starting next week. Should that be okay?

The squats and bench presses were incredibly easy because, though I haven't been doing a structured program, I was already using a bit more than the bar for those two exercises. I definitely plan on going up the 5 lbs next time. However, the overhead presses with only the bar was surprisingly hard for me. I did them all, but I found that my form was suffering a bit in that I was bouncing a bit to get the bar up instead of only using my upper body. That's incorrect form, right? I'm not sure if I should go up the 5 lbs since I was able to complete the exercise or if I should stick to the bar on Friday and see how it goes. I have a feeling I should perfect the form before going up in weight. (FYI...I. HATE. OVERHEAD. PRESSES!) I read that I can bounce the bar off of my chest, but...ouch.

I tried to wait a full minute between sets, but is it so bad if I make it 30 seconds until it gets harder for me? Waiting an entire minute or more to go back to squatting with 45 lbs seems like a waste of time.

I've been eating 1400 calories per day and I was planning on increasing that to 1700 (only 200 below maintenance) so my lifting output didn't suffer. However, I only dropped .2 lbs this week even though I didn't go over my calories or macros all week. I raised it up to 1450 per day this week just to see what happens. I'm hoping I can increase to 1700 without gaining any weight so I can get the most out of my workouts. I know I may not lose the last 8 lbs, but I'm more concerned about being fit and looking good, not some arbitrary number on a scale. I don't mind gaining a couple of pounds if it's muscle, but I don't want to gain any fat back. Does this sound like a solid plan, since the first couple of weeks of the program should be pretty easy for me?

Also, the warm up and cool down. I did a 10 minute cardio warm up including jogging in place, two types of jumping jacks, bodyweight squats, walk down planks with a brief cobra pose, standing toe-touch kicks, etc. At the end of the workout, I did 5 minutes of stretching my upper and lower body with 30 second holds on each stretch. Is that sufficient? I know I'm supposed to do warm up sets, but I didn't since I was just using the bar anyway. At what point do the two warm up sets become imperative?

In the past when I lifted (which was only once per week), I always felt it afterward and was really sore the next day. With this, I felt like I didn't do anything. It'll get more intense once I start adding weight, right? I just feel like I didn't even work out this morning.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Also - deadlifts. Do I have to limit myself to 1 set of 5 in the beginning? Could I do them 5x5 until it gets more intense.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will get more intense with more weight. The bar is to get you used to using proper form, getting to the proper depth, etc.

I'm not sure on the deadlift question. I'm guessing if it is just the bar, you'll be fine to do 5x5.

I didn't warm up with any weight except the bar until I got into pretty heavy work sets. Now, I do 3 different weights in between the bar warm up and my work weight.
  • snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've not done the 5x5 myself but I've heard a few people saying they skipped the empty bar and went straight to some load. It sounds like that might be a plan for you.
    DOMS isn't necessarily an indication of a good workout, but if you know you've not worked hard, it hardly seems worth wasting your time.

Yes, bouncing on the OHP is incorrect form, but from what I've read, it's not the end of the world to "cheat" on the last couple of reps in a set, as long as in general your form is sound.

Other points to note: it's very unlikely you'll gain any muscle whilst you're in a calorie deficit and so, if that's your goal, you need to eat in a surplus. You will put on some fat, which you'll then cut off afterwards. But this is a slow process; not something that will happen within a couple of months. Choose a goal; muscle building or fat reduction. You need to stick to the goal for several months before changing to the other. If you don't choose a clear goal, you may find yourself "spinning your wheels" and not making any real changes.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hey! There is a Stronglifts for Women group. Head over that way and read all of the stickies. But my quick answer is to just move on to the next correct workout and don't worry about waiting until after that. Correct as soon as possible. I use bar for warm-up, but moved to weight pretty fast. A lighter weight, but still weight. I also have been recording myself every couple of weeks to check form. As far as DL, I'd do it as the program states, but that is me. DL's are heavy duty. Anyways, check out the group and the stickies and then ask any questions you might have. :) Welcome to SL 5x5!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to deadlift with just the bar and proper form (unless you have lifts to hold it at the correct height. I believe I started at 95lbs and started with 1x5. I also started with I think 10s on the bar for rows, so 65lbs or so. I think. I've been doing SL for over a year, so it's hard to remember.

ETA: There's great support and info in this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to deadlift with just the bar and proper form (unless you have lifts to hold it at the correct height. I believe I started at 95lbs and started with 1x5. I also started with I think 10s on the bar for rows, so 65lbs or so. I think. I've been doing SL for over a year, so it's hard to remember.

x2

I started with 90lb DL and only do 1x5 ever..it's pretty taxing lift.

For your rest periods you will know when to up them...I usually do it when I am struggling with the last reps...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    With the press, it is OK to move your body some, according to Rippetoe. He suggests leaning back slightly then bringing your shoulders forward to get under the bar as it goes up. If you keep your body absolutely still, then I think it is called a strict military press (rather than an over head press). From what I understand, either version is fine - just pick one and go with it. The press is, of course, one of the "hardest" moves (because you are using smaller muscles) so you will be lighter on it than your others, and progress slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

For the other lifts, if the bar alone is way too easy, then you can add weight, but don't add too much. You want to learn form while it is still light. It'll get heavy pretty quickly.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

x2

I started with 90lb DL and only do 1x5 ever..it's pretty taxing lift.

For your rest periods you will know when to up them...I usually do it when I am struggling with the last reps...

Oh, I don't plan on doing the deadlift with just the bar. I'll be starting with 95 lbs.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    OHP is the bane of my existence and I feel like I will never get a high weight on it. I couldn't even start with 45lb when I started Stronglifts. I started at 20lb and it took me almost two months to get up to 45lbs. I'll get the weight high one day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Also - deadlifts. Do I have to limit myself to 1 set of 5 in the beginning? Could I do them 5x5 until it gets more intense.

You should be fine...

In RE to the deads, once they get heavy they will be taxing the **** out of your CNS...1x5 is plenty for a beginner lifter.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone addressed the time issue. It is fine to do a less than one minute rest right now. Soon enough you will be wishing for more than the 3=5 minutes that is allowed.
    Mike
  • emilyc1892
    emilyc1892 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It took me several months to get from 45lb OHP to 55lb. I still can't do 5x5 55lb but I'm getting there. It's most people's hardest move. You can try different things, eg microloading (get really small plates, like 1lb), more reps, sets etc, until you can get to a higher weight. It won't progress as much as your other lifts.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe has changed his teaching of the OHP a little. Even though it seems like it should be a fairly natural movement, I have to work at getting it right. It has helped me, though. Learning to Press 2,0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    deadlifting the bar is fine- just don't worry about going to the floor.

I warm up with the bar- I come 3/4 of the way through the shin- so it's a full DL with a little deficit for a stretch.

it's fine.

everyone else has great advice.

And yes- you were fine mixing up the workouts- it's light yet- just get on track for the next workout ;)

good luck and great job on starting the program!!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Rippetoe has changed his teaching of the OHP a little. Even though it seems like it should be a fairly natural movement, I have to work at getting it right. It has helped me, though. Learning to Press 2,0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMAiNQJ6FPc

Hm, I've never seen it done like that before. I can see how that would help, even if it looks silly. :) I'll try it Friday!