QUORN products and weight loss?!

Options
I don't eat meet so it is nice from time to time to have something else than eggs veg or fish. Quorn products are mainly protein but they are highly processed foods. A lot of different opinions on this one online. So IS IT HEALTHY AND HELPS WITH WEIGHT LOSS OR ITS JUST EMPTY CALORIES?

Replies

• alizamanuk
    Options
    Quorn food does have protien - sp yesi would say it is good for you but only like once or twice a week - are you totally a vegi ?
  • AiLoveVeg
    AiLoveVeg Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm pescetarian so I do eat fish but no chicken or meat
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I only eat Quorn products and I am losing a steady two pound per week
  • AiLoveVeg
    Options
    Well that seems to be working then! Any nice low cal recipes? ^^
  • blovesit
    blovesit Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm not a veggie but I eat Quorn in place of beef and sometimes chicken, 2-3 times a week, and seems to be helping my weight loss :smile:
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Oh my diddy! Quorn is the peng-a-leng, trust! Full of fibre too.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    In to hear what people have to say about it. I've tried it a couple of times and it was not bad at all.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Processed =/= bad, and processed =/= bad for weight loss. The Quorn nutrition balance is pretty decent. I've only ever had the chicken pieces but they've always been really good and they also reduce the calories of a dish. Slightly softer texture than chicken, but that is by no means a bad thing.

ETA: the thing I make most often with Quorn is this http://culinaryexplorer365.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/paprika-chicken-stroganoff/

I've also made this a couple of times: http://balancingactfoodie.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/veggie-packed-chicken-fried-rice/

It's great for lower-calorie comfort food. Just remembered I used the Quorn meatballs for a stroganoff once - their own recipe I found on the site - which contained a whole PINT of white wine and was frankly dreadful. That's the only bad experience I have. The recipes on the website look really good but I've been a bit mistrustful of them since!
  • TimmiaZ
    TimmiaZ Posts: 2
    Options
    Quorn meals are great. You can make your own but the ready made meals are really nice too and are portion controlled with most being 200-350 calories a meal. It has helped me lose a lot of weight and this month I haven't been eating it and I am actually really missing it!

There is a good variety but I usually have the spaghetti , cottage pie, lasagne, curry & rice, sweet &sour and then the chill & wedges, with my other day being a cheat day and eating what I like for my main meal
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meet so it is nice from time to time to have something else than eggs veg or fish. Quorn products are mainly protein but they are highly processed foods. A lot of different opinions on this one online. So IS IT HEALTHY AND HELPS WITH WEIGHT LOSS OR ITS JUST EMPTY CALORIES?
    There is no such thing as an empty calorie. An calorie is a unit of energy you body uses these to fuel itself
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Processed =/= bad, and processed =/= bad for weight loss. The Quorn nutrition balance is pretty decent. I've only ever had the chicken pieces but they've always been really good and they also reduce the calories of a dish. Slightly softer texture than chicken, but that is by no means a bad thing.

ETA: the thing I make most often with Quorn is this http://culinaryexplorer365.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/paprika-chicken-stroganoff/

I've also made this a couple of times: http://balancingactfoodie.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/veggie-packed-chicken-fried-rice/

It's great for lower-calorie comfort food. Just remembered I used the Quorn meatballs for a stroganoff once - their own recipe I found on the site - which contained a whole PINT of white wine and was frankly dreadful. That's the only bad experience I have. The recipes on the website look really good but I've been a bit mistrustful of them since!

Thanks for the links. I'd love to try that stroganoff soon.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

What is meet?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I do enjoy quorn from time to time. Their chicken tikka ready meal is really good when I'm in a hurry and I love their sausages. It's a good fast way of getting protein for lower calories.

In terms of weightloss, I'm not a big listener to the whole processed food thing because when it comes down to it weightloss is down to calories in < calories out.
  • mockchoc
    Options

What is meet?

You never make a spelling mistake I take it? Meat!
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat Quorn a couple of times a week (I'm vegetarian) and although I'm now on maintenance, it never hindered my weight loss at all. Quorn offers a good variety to add to my meals sometimes, esepecially stir fry, etc. However, I try not to rely on it too much as I prefer to get the nutritional benefits from beans, pulses, etc.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am a Pescatarian who eats plenty of Quorn and some Soy based meat substitutes, and I also enjoy eating Tofu a few times a week as well as fish, eggs and some dairy for my main protein sources. Yes Quorn is slightly processed, as are most meat substitutes, but I really wouldn't worry about that. As a food, it is nutritionally dense and low calorie. You cannot get the same from real meat, as the protein is high but the saturated fat is also. Quorn is extremely low in everything apart from protein so it's great for anyone watching their diet.

In fact I'm having some Roast Chicken Quorn in my salad for lunch today :)
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    quorn is about the furthest possible thing from empty calories jeez.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of Quorn! Not every day but certainly more than once a week... probably about 5 days a week :D

I have lost 2 stone (gained 8 lb on a bulk and am now on my way back down).

There is nothing wrong with Quorn! Yes it is highly processed, but that is something your conscience has to deal with (CO2 emissions and what not) not your body. The only thing to look out for is the high sodium content which might screw with your scales...
  • AiLoveVeg
    Options

What is meet?

You never make a spelling mistake I take it? Meat!

Yeah sorry grammar mistake ^^ I do enjoy quorn soo much that's why I was confused about what ppl say online about it. But so far I'm hearing only good reviews about it in here.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of this product so I went looking...here is what I found...

(at the end of the article they gave links to some studies)

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

Quorn Complaints

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing. Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe and the United States who have suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's (Marlow Foods) marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.