Vegans of MFP

Options
Hi there!

My name is Amy and I'm a 25 year old vegan from Southern California. I've battled with weight issues all through my teens and into adulthood. I went vegan in 2009 and dropped over 40 pounds in 5 months with the help of Weight Watchers. About a year into Weight Watchers, I decided that I had the tools to continue my healthy lifestyle by myself. Before I knew it, it was 3 years later and the weight was back on. I've joined and rejoined Weight Watchers several times and I just don't think the program is for me anymore.

I find that now that I'm in my mid-twenties, losing weight is much harder. I know that it's not all about the scale and it should be about how I feel, but the number is very important to me. I would love to be an egg donor, but because of my weight, I don't meet their qualifications.

I'm looking for a support system consisting of other vegans. I'd love to receive any helpful tips you could give me and I'd love to be able to check in on each other every now and then. :)

Any other vegans out there?

Replies

• jordo323
    jordo323 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm here! I was vegetarian for two years, went back to meat for a year, and then realized that I hated supporting the meat industry, so I've decided to go full vegan. I literally decided to start last week, and it's difficult, but I'm already happier. :) I'd love some vegan/vegetarian friends for motivation and inspiration. My diary is open so you can look at my choices.
  • janedoughxvx
    Options
    That's rad! I do have a recipe blog if you're interested:
    http://janedougheatsvegan.tumblr.com/

Most of my recipes are gluten free as well.

My diary is also open to friends for viewing.

Just wanted to share with you this great lunch I just had:

1 cup quinoa mixed with 1 1/2 cups arugula, squeeze of lemon juice, 1/2 of an avocado, and 1/2 cup broccoli with a sprinkle of garlic salt and a lot of pepper. Super yummy and filling!
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    <
    :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    ^ Looks like a delicious lunch.

Check out the vegan groups on this page, they are a lot more supportive than the general site. Many on this site are very hostile towards what they don't understand. Feel free to add me.
  • Sirenasdeath
    Sirenasdeath Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow vegan!
    First let me say I love slayer and metal! Also I really like motivating people. So if you have and questions or concerns you can always ask :) I'm a real friendly person so add me as a friend if you want. looking forward to cheering you on
  • janedoughxvx
    Options
    :) I look forward to adding you all!
  • PlantBasedGrace
    PlantBasedGrace Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Another vegan here! I went vegan about 3 months ago and the benefits I get from giving up meat are fantastic! I feel like I have more energy and build muscle/recover from soreness faster than before I went vegan. I just started using MFP again after taking a long break to make sure I'm getting all of my nutrients so I'd love to add all of you!
  • mayziemae
    Options
    Hey there! 20+ year veggie, the last 6 of which I've been vegan. I love to cook and am happy to share recipes, resources or tips with anyone who wants.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Your lunch sounds like the kind of food I like!
    2nd year of being vegan, add me if you like!
  • The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey! I follow your instagram, so much yum!! :smile:

I am vegetarian, former vegan, trying to eat more and more vegan, but a bit of dairy sneaks it's way in every ones in a while...

Good luck and welcome to MFP!
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and LOVE IT!

I have been for years and honestly couldnt imagine life any other way :)
  • Nuttynutnuts
    Nuttynutnuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :)

I've been vegan for about eight years and love getting inspiration from other people's meals and workouts, feel free to add me too!
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi hi! I'm vegan and eat mostly raw vegetables. I just love my lifestyle, and I can't see myself living any other way.
    I have an instagram, @lucidlanguidmoon ^^

I like to say that I'm powered by the Sun :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Represent.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan just over 2 years. I'm on here daily and my diary is open to my friends. I welcome new friends, so send me a request :)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but vegetarian for over 10 years. I love trying new recipes, including vegan!
    In fact, the best chocolate cupcakes I have ever had were vegan ones.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Happy Herbivores. Feel free to join us!
  • alpha_mare
    alpha_mare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had a recent improvement in my health and a little voice inside me said, now just don't eat meat. But unfortunately I have a lot of dietary restrictions and am trying to figure out how to get needs met. I cannot tolerate soy, and carbs are not my friend. The fat in meat is so heavy, and I'm not happy eating it. Also, nuts are a problem. I do drink milk and eat eggs from our chicken. Not milk from he chicken...:-)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

1 cup quinoa mixed with 1 1/2 cups arugula, squeeze of lemon juice, 1/2 of an avocado, and 1/2 cup broccoli with a sprinkle of garlic salt and a lot of pepper. Super yummy and filling!

I know what is going on my next shopping list, thanks!
    Vegan eating here too.
  • FrecklesAndLocs
    FrecklesAndLocs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Recent Vegan revelation here! I think it's been two weeks now. There are so many great supporters and encouragers on here I can't even believe it. So I would love to pay the encouragement forward. I am also always looking for more motivated and "SUNPOWERED" friends. (I loved that comment.)