Weighted Hula Hoop

Options
Determined to make exercise more fun so have bought myself a weighted hula hoop. Takes some getting used to! Really enjoying it ( in spite of the bruises). Has anyone seen any good results on their midsection from doing this?

Replies

• Goal125Goal
    Options
    In the past I was in LOVE with running - logged 30-40 miles per week. Unfortunately I injured my knee pretty bad running a marathon in the summer of 2012 and fell out of my healthy routine.
    I am now trying to get back into shape and am experimenting with hula hooping as it is easier on my knee. I have a 1.5 lb hoop already and have ordered a 4 lb hoop expected to arrive tomorrow.
    I started two days ago with 30 minutes with the 1.5lb and today with 45 minutes with the 1.5lb... My plan is to do 45-60 minutes with 1.5lb and 10 minutes with the 4lb each day.
    Since we are both started out on this journey let's keep in touch with our progress. Best of luck to you :)
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed! I'm still struggling to keep it going for more than 5 mins. I keep dropping it to my hips and my poor bruised hipbone does not like it. Mine is 2.8lbs wondering if it's a little heavy to start with. I could hula fine as a kid! Are you following any videos?
  • blovesit
    blovesit Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been wanting to give this a go for a while, im interested to hear how you both get on! :smile:
  • melsakinyi
    melsakinyi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me me me! I have a 1.5 lb hoop. I hoop for 15 minutes but i dont log it as exercise. I' ve lost most of my body inches from my waist. I started at 38 inches and am down to 31 as of yesterday. I jog too for 6 days a week
  • Pectinbean
    Options
    That's encouraging! Well done. I cycle to work and run regularly, just need something to help the jelly belly. I need to do the hula more often but it's definitely getting easier as time goes on. I'm not a gym bunny at all so I want some fun alternatives. I also got weighted skipping ropes which are surprisingly good fun!
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh sounds fun! I've always be curious about these. I would love to be able to have something to do while I watch tv.
  • mikkidixon
    mikkidixon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought one two weeks ago it weighs 4 lbs and I love it! I started doing it for three mins everyday the first week and now I am doing it for 5 mins. I have lost 5 lbs already and I have noticed my waist is getting smaller. I am thinking about getting the hoopnatica DVD...have you tried any good dvd?
  • Pectinbean
    Options
    I've not tried any workouts yet. Focusing on keeping the hoop up! haha I've been told there's some good ones on youtube. Is it bad I prefer doing it while watching telly?
  • mikkidixon
    mikkidixon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No that's what I do! I researched it and found out that when you start out it should be a heavy hula hoop because it takes less energy to go around your body than the lighter ones. Also your first week should be three mins then the next week you increase to 5 mins and so on until you can keep it up and going for 20 mins. I cant keep it up the whole time but I can do a spin while hooping at least once :)
  • carrieheller
    carrieheller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been hula hooping for several years and I love it. I have a 4 lb. hoop and I typically do it for 20-30 minutes. It's great to do while watching tv! It definitely helps to keep my waist down (always a problem area) and I notice when I stop doing it for a while that my waist creeps back up. So, I try to do it about 5 times a week.
  • icha3x
    icha3x Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i also have a 3lb hoop and struggle to get past 10 min.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop with a weighted hoop while watching TV, usually twice a day for 20 minutes at a time. Even though it doesn't burn as much as other exercise, I look at it this way - I'm still getting more activity than spending those 20 minutes on the couch! I don't know if it has helped my midsection specifically, but it's a great addition to my routine, which includes bodyweight exercises and cardio. I log it under wii fit super hoop.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here to try to get myself motivated to dig mine out and see if I can do more exercise with it than constantly bend down to pick it back up. :cry:

I got some videos, watched some youtubes and can't understand why I could do it as a kid...not sure if its the weight or the size of the hoop.

If anyone has any tips, would LOVE to hear em!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The results in the mid section will primarily be determined by energy balance (cals in vs out) not so much the type of exercise.

Use your hoop to burn some cals and create a deficit. Don't neglect the actual resistance training though.