The Worst Nutrition Advice in History (article)

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's just one example of how NEAT activity can add up to considerable calorie difference
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Vardaemi -- I understand that, but that just seems like a huge NEAT change -- the approximate 400 calories per day difference that suddenly changes and is unnoticed by the participants. I guess it just seems like much more likely to me that something else is going on that we don't fully understand -- such as the increased gene expression of FOXC2 they reference. How that contributes to the break down of adipose tissue doesn't look clear, but it's a correlation they apparently notice in mice.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Where does nutrition advice come from? I thought it was based upon what was then the most up to date science.

(Does anyone recall that scene is a very old Woody Allen movie where after being in a deep freeze for a hunger years he's awakened and they feed him twinkies and marbled steak cause their up to date science proves that the old up to date science was totally wrong?)
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    All I know is, I once went on a doctor supervised 1200 calorie a day eating program where he advised I eat 45% carbs/45% lean protein/10% fat... and to exercise at least 30 minutes a day 6 days a week... I actually followed this to a T... took me 10 months to lose 74 pounds. I was fighting cravings all the time... and was not sleeping real well. I gained back every bit plus more... and am working on losing that weight now. I am doing low carb- 10% carb/40% protein/50% fat ... and am rarely hungry.... and am losing much quicker eating 1800-2200 calories a day. I am living proof that eating 1200 calories high in carbs and low in fat is the best/fastest/safest way to lose weight. I sleep like a baby now.... quite happy.
    I agree with the article.... I eat eggs all the time.... I don't think using your daily caloric allotment for junk food is nutrionally sound, nor that it is going to help you lose weight. My skin and hair look better than ever.... it was dry all the time eating high carb low fat. Sure you will lose weight if you starve.... but you aint just starving your belly people! Some oils ate less healthy than others, olive oil, coconut oil, and grapeseed oil are the best. Real butter is better than artificially made crap. Real food is always going to trump artificially made garbage. Processed food is full of stuff most people cannot even pronounce. Who wants to eat stuff they cannot pronounce full of chemicals and preservatives? No wonder people are so unhealthy these days... they have started filling themselves with what tastes good, instead of what nourishes.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Where does nutrition advice come from? I thought it was based upon what was then the most up to date science.

(Does anyone recall that scene is a very old Woody Allen movie where after being in a deep freeze for a hunger years he's awakened and they feed him twinkies and marbled steak cause their up to date science proves that the old up to date science was totally wrong?)

"Sleeper" from 1973. Thanks for pointing out that it is "very old" because it came out when I was 10. :smile:
  • Seeds45
    Seeds45 Posts: 90
    Options
    Just think about it… the nutrients in a whole egg contain all the building blocks needed to turn a single fertilized cell into an entire baby chicken.

Good only if you are a baby chicken. Same with milk, only good if you are a calf.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by where it's going really... it sort of tries to use science to claim science is incorrect. Makes no sense.

The claims that the article calls bad were not based on science. They were based on popular perception and faulty logic.
    Science is proving them false. That's the point.

Take that one about eggs for example: Long before anybody did any science on the matter, somebody somehow decided that saturated fat causes heart disease. The American Heart Association did a study to prove this idea; the study came back with no correlation whatsoever. At about the same time, somebody else was testing a drug that lowered cholesterol. That study showed a correlation between taking the drug and lower heart disease. It also showed a correlation between taking the drug and lowering cholesterol. So AHA made the logic leap to say that the drug lowered the risk for heart disease BECAUSE it lowered cholesterol, never considering that it may have done something else as well. That's the basis of the advice to eat less cholesterol to reduce heart disease. There was never any evidence.

It was years later that they completed the Women's Health Initiative which showed no correlation between eating cholesterol and heart disease.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just think about it… the nutrients in a whole egg contain all the building blocks needed to turn a single fertilized cell into an entire baby chicken.

Good only if you are a baby chicken. Same with milk, only good if you are a calf.

Yummy baby chicken. Yummy veal.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I realize my experience is nothing but an anecdote, but does illustrate some of the issues brought up in the thread. I am one of those people who "magically" started gaining weight without changing anything. In fact, my first post here was about that. My daily calories were only slightly different when I went from losing steadily to gaining steadily. My weight chart looked like a perfect "V". The difference WAS medication for me - the understanding of how medications cause weight gain is really complex and in its infancy, and the mechanisms behind each are somewhat unique.

Being frustrated with "doing everything right" and not losing, I got my RMR tested. It was substantially lower than what is predicted for me, even taking into account body comp. So no, I wasn't doing everything right. Garbage in, garbage out, and my numbers for predicted calorie burn were absolute garbage for me. I was eating in a surplus or at best maintenance because formulas don't always work for people with medical conditions. Does that change the validity of CICO? Of course not. It just means I didn't have my equation balanced. I realize that I am in a very small minority, but having done testing throughout my attempts to control my weight, I have learned that in some rare cases, medications can dramatically and quickly change your RMR and thus calorie requirements. Eating a relatively small amount of calories already, that difference can be catastrophic in weight loss attempts.

Something else I never noticed, but was only pointed out to me by family, was that my NEAT was entirely different on and off medications. I have always been prone to fidgeting, but on my medications that was all but eliminated. It is not something I ever consciously noticed, but as others have said those calories really do add up in your TDEE.

In a study like the one mentioned for insulin resistant people and different macro distributions, is it not possible that low carb = better hormone levels = more energy for little movements throughout the day? That would being up TDEE, creating a larger deficit, which would account for extra weight loss. I didn't read the study as my computer won't load it for some reason, but I find it very hard to believe that it isn't prone to a LOT of confounding factors, especially since they were not in a metabolic ward. Sure, it brings up some interesting questions, but really doesn't prove anything until it is replicated with better control over variables - multiple times.

Basically what I am getting out is that it STILL comes down to CICO, however the equation is complex - if it's not working for you, you simply aren't in a deficit. THAT part is simple, the WHY behind the lack of a deficit is where is becomes hairy, especially for those with extra issues mucking things up.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Vardaemi -- I understand that, but that just seems like a huge NEAT change -- the approximate 400 calories per day difference that suddenly changes and is unnoticed by the participants. I guess it just seems like much more likely to me that something else is going on that we don't fully understand -- such as the increased gene expression of FOXC2 they reference. How that contributes to the break down of adipose tissue doesn't look clear, but it's a correlation they apparently notice in mice.

Well, if they said " although we cannot definitively rule out differences in energy intake as the etiology for the differences in weight loss, differences in energy expenditure seem to be a more plausible explanation."

That was probably based on an unmeasured observation. Email them and ask.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I realize my experience is nothing but an anecdote, but does illustrate some of the issues brought up in the thread. I am one of those people who "magically" started gaining weight without changing anything. In fact, my first post here was about that. My daily calories were only slightly different when I went from losing steadily to gaining steadily. My weight chart looked like a perfect "V". The difference WAS medication for me - the understanding of how medications cause weight gain is really complex and in its infancy, and the mechanisms behind each are somewhat unique.

Being frustrated with "doing everything right" and not losing, I got my RMR tested. It was substantially lower than what is predicted for me, even taking into account body comp. So no, I wasn't doing everything right. Garbage in, garbage out, and my numbers for predicted calorie burn were absolute garbage for me. I was eating in a surplus or at best maintenance because formulas don't always work for people with medical conditions. Does that change the validity of CICO? Of course not. It just means I didn't have my equation balanced. I realize that I am in a very small minority, but having done testing throughout my attempts to control my weight, I have learned that in some rare cases, medications can dramatically and quickly change your RMR and thus calorie requirements. Eating a relatively small amount of calories already, that difference can be catastrophic in weight loss attempts.

Something else I never noticed, but was only pointed out to me by family, was that my NEAT was entirely different on and off medications. I have always been prone to fidgeting, but on my medications that was all but eliminated. It is not something I ever consciously noticed, but as others have said those calories really do add up in your TDEE.

In a study like the one mentioned for insulin resistant people and different macro distributions, is it not possible that low carb = better hormone levels = more energy for little movements throughout the day? That would being up TDEE, creating a larger deficit, which would account for extra weight loss. I didn't read the study as my computer won't load it for some reason, but I find it very hard to believe that it isn't prone to a LOT of confounding factors, especially since they were not in a metabolic ward. Sure, it brings up some interesting questions, but really doesn't prove anything until it is replicated with better control over variables - multiple times.

Basically what I am getting out is that it STILL comes down to CICO, however the equation is complex - if it's not working for you, you simply aren't in a deficit. THAT part is simple, the WHY behind the lack of a deficit is where is becomes hairy, especially for those with extra issues mucking things up.

Thank you!
  • Tienna2925
    Tienna2925 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This stuff isn’t food, it’s a combination of chemicals that looks and tastes like food

May I ask what you propose food is made of? This is a personal pet peeve of mine.

FOOD IS CHEMICALS!! EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE IS CHEMICALS!!

Get used to it.
    If you don't understand the difference between man-made chemicals that have only been eaten by man for the last 100 years, and the compounds that have been in our food since the beginning of time, you are really missing some critical thinking skills.

many chemicals that people on here complain about are derived from natural sources. I can't bring any specifically into the argument but I've seen many threads about them

The main example that springs to my mind is monosodium glutamate, or MSG, which is heralded as being a terrible man-made chemical put in food but is found in abundant quantities in nature. (Just an aside, I do agree that too much is bad for you, but too much of anything is bad for you!)

Also, I did find this today, which I think summarises what I was trying to say in my previous post about being wary of sources:
    http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/04/02/a-rough-guide-to-spotting-bad-science
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Fantastic argument for eating ALL the foodz!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

This is not how nutrition works.

Seaweed, only good if you are a manatee.
    Bananas, only good if you are an orangutan.
    Fish, only good if you are a dolphin.
    Coconuts, only good if you're stranded on a desert island.

No.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    NEAT stands for Non Exercise Activity. So if you felt better, you moved around more (in my example).

"NEAT comprises the energy expenditure of daily activities such as standing, walking, talking and sitting––all activities that are not considered planned physical activity of a person’s daily life."
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/NeatLK.html

True, true. That just seems like a huge difference from casual moving around more -- the equivalent of 400 calories. I realize they basically have to drop it into NEAT to stick with the current understanding of CICO. But, that's not very convincing for me. I wish there were more similar studies -- and perhaps there are -- I just haven't ran across them in my casual research.

It's not that big a difference if you look at the fidgeting studies.

Sure, between fidgeters and non-fidgeters. But, it's pretty crazy to think that the ones that were IS HC and IR HF all of sudden became fidgeters at the time of this trial. That's really stretching it to me.

Well, the participants were overweight already, so anything they did burned more calories than a non-obese person. According to my FitBit, my calorie burns on non-exercise days can range from 150 to 350, depending on whether I was sitting on the couch all day, or cleaning house and doing laundry, or walking around WalMart shopping. On days I work, if I'm sitting at my desk all day, I barely burn 200 over a sedentary setting. If I'm in the lab running experiments on my feet all day, I'll burn about 400. If I was a good deal heavier, those numbers would be quite a bit larger. So I can see how most, if not all the extra calories in the 'out' side of the equation could have been attributed to NEAT.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

"Sleeper" from 1973. Thanks for pointing out that it is "very old" because it came out when I was 10. :smile:

Don't feel too bad--I was 20.
  • likitisplit
    Options

No.

Well, we eat chicken and calves, so shouldn't eating the pre-chicken or pre-calf get us some of the same nutritional benefits?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This stuff isn’t food, it’s a combination of chemicals that looks and tastes like food

May I ask what you propose food is made of? This is a personal pet peeve of mine.

FOOD IS CHEMICALS!! EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE IS CHEMICALS!!

Get used to it.
    If you don't understand the difference between man-made chemicals that have only been eaten by man for the last 100 years, and the compounds that have been in our food since the beginning of time, you are really missing some critical thinking skills.

many chemicals that people on here complain about are derived from natural sources. I can't bring any specifically into the argument but I've seen many threads about them

The main example that springs to my mind is monosodium glutamate, or MSG, which is heralded as being a terrible man-made chemical put in food but is found in abundant quantities in nature. (Just an aside, I do agree that too much is bad for you, but too much of anything is bad for you!)

Also, I did find this today, which I think summarises what I was trying to say in my previous post about being wary of sources:
    http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/04/02/a-rough-guide-to-spotting-bad-science

Hemlock could be grown organically. Botulism is as naturally occurring as yogurt.

Man made =/= bad

Natural =/= good

And the human species has probably been using food additives for 5000 years.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

No.

Well, we eat chicken and calves, so shouldn't eating the pre-chicken or pre-calf get us some of the same nutritional benefits?
    I think there is some confusion here, as I agree with you :P