Breakfast?

Options
Rebamae
Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
Is it better to walk before or after breakfast? I don't know which is correct, to walk w/o food or to walk after eating.
Thanks!

Replies

• blahblah1990
    Options
    Apparently doing cardio before eating breakfast is good for fat loss. However, it is up to how your body feels at the end of the day :) As soon as I wake up, I need to eat something before heading to the gym or I don't function properly but I'm sure there are people out there who will disagree. Everybody's different
  • unclecrystal
    unclecrystal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It might be different for everyone, buI have to run before I eat breakfast otherwise I get an upset stomach. I feel like it is better to eat right after you walk or workout instead of before otherwise your body has to work to digest a meal while you are working out. If you eat after you work out your metabolism should be fuled up and your body should not have any problems digesting since you are done walking/working out.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've heard MANY trainers recommend a light breakfast at least 30 minutes to an hour before you exercise... This will give you the fuel to get through it. When I would go to the gym first thing in the AM, I would have one of those Quaker Breakfast on the go with some water and it would help me get through my early morning workouts just fine...
  • Kiki_StartingOver
    Kiki_StartingOver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what everyone else does, but I eat something light before I exercise, then eat breakfast 30 minutes afterwards. Sometimes, before the workout, I'll eat a granola bar, or half a protein bar, or sometimes a smoothie I make with a banana, blueberries, ice, and light yogurt. Just something light to fill my stomach. Then I'll eat breakfast afterwards, maybe some eggs, a bagel or some grits.

Hope this helps some.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That is what I was thinking but needed someone in the "know" to help me!!
    Have a great Tuesday!!
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    How long do you walk? If you walk an hour or less, you should be able to do it without eating before hand. More than an hour, a small meal of half a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter might be enough- and don't forget to take water with you!

That said, everyone is different. Some people need to eat or just prefer to eat something before they walk/workout. Try different things and see how you feel!
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out, otherwise I get dizzy and have no energy! But you just have to do what works for you, there is no right or wrong way to do it! It's a myth that working out on an empty stomach burns more calories, btw :)
  • Royan33
    Royan33 Posts: 10
    Options
    I always have around 20 grams of almond 1 hour before I go to gym. I consider this as my breakfast but I cannot eat more than this before running.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out, otherwise I get dizzy and have no energy! But you just have to do what works for you, there is no right or wrong way to do it! It's a myth that working out on an empty stomach burns more calories, btw :)

Same with me. :) I do my workout at nights (no time in the morning) and I need to make sure I have had supper before doing it.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Like most have said, it doesn't make a lick of difference weight loss wise, it's really what makes you comfortable.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    It depends on your workouts and what makes you comfortable. If I've thrown up before during a workout because I ate too close to when I worked out. When I exercise in the mornings I take in small amounts of protein before and after the workout, though, because if I don't take anything in then I'll run out of energy in 30-45 minutes.

Just test the water and see what you like best. It's all about you anyway :)