41 yr old fem needing advice on feeling good in a bikini!

Options
Hi

I have tried every single diet plan under the sun but now I know the best way to see the scale move for me and beat the insatiable cravings is to track what I am eating but also pay attention to my body when I eat certain foods. I have now realised that my body HATES it when I eat carb heavy foods such as bread and pasta, and so long as I keep away from those foods, my appetite is under control and my body seems to be happy. I am happy to make those adjustments as it's worth it. I tend to lean towards a higher protein diet as protein keeps me full and from snacking on crap and going over my calories.

MFP has me at 1200 cals per day when I punch the numbers in. After halfheartedly going to the gym and just doing low impact cardio, I have purchased a cheap set of weights with a barbell and I have been reading up on how to gradually change the look of my body. I am moving away from obsessing over the scale and want to instead focus on how I look in a bikini ready for summer.
I am pear shaped and from the waist down, I am flabby. From the waist up, I am small framed with a small waist.

I want to drop the fat and increase muscle tone. Questions I have are.....

Can I do this with a sensible calorie deficit? I have read conflicting info about this on another forum.

Should I focus on heavy weights only? Or lighter weights with high reps? Do I mix up cardio and weights? If so, should I focus on 50/50 weights and cardio?

Thanks for reading any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights, lower reps. Look at something basic like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. I also really like Strong Curves. Eat at a deficit, lift and do cardio. Do as much or little cardio as your like, really.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights, lower reps. Look at something basic like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting. I also really like Strong Curves. Eat at a deficit, lift and do cardio. Do as much or little cardio as your like, really.

^This. Also increase your protein to 1g/lb of lean body mass. I weigh 125 and try to get at least 100 g of protein a day. Treat 1200 as an absolute minimum and eat back your exercise calories. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, the amount of weight you try to lose per week will change. You don't look like you have much to lose, so I would set a goal of 0.5 lbs per week.
  • mtnspirit
    mtnspirit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You could try the BikiniMommyBody Challenge on Facebook... I am starting that tomorrow to help me get more fit/trim. I am also at approx 1200 cal/day with the goal of losing 1 lb/week until I get to my goal (approx 20-25 lbs to go).

https://www.facebook.com/BikiniBodyMommy/

Good luck!!
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options

So would one or two sessions of 45 min cardio be enough? If cardio won't really benefit me, shall I just focus on the weights instead?
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options

^This. Also increase your protein to 1g/lb of lean body mass. I weigh 125 and try to get at least 100 g of protein a day. Treat 1200 as an absolute minimum and eat back your exercise calories. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, the amount of weight you try to lose per week will change. You don't look like you have much to lose, so I would set a goal of 0.5 lbs per week.

sorry I should have posted my weight... I am currently at 146 pounds. 5 foot 5. I would love to drop a stone, so 14 pounds.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like for cardio, imho. If two 45 minute sessions suit you, do it.