Post-Workout Foods

Options
What do you eat after a big workout? Typically, I just have a smoothie but I'm looking to mix it up. Also, if you workout at night, do you bother to eat something before going to sleep?

Replies

• baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat past 7pm so If my workout is done after that, then I won't eat. I love drinking Muscle Milk light only 100 calories after a work out....It gets my energy back up.
  • love2sign
    Options
    The worst thing u can do is eat right before u go to sleep.....=)
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I usually have a protein drink, boiled eggs, or cottage cheese and pineapple. If I work out at night, I still eat. I don't think it would be good to fast your body that long after working out, but I try not to do it more than 1 or 2 times a week.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    For GERD yes...because it sits in your stomach and turns to fat...no. Cottage cheese before bed is highly recommended in fact.

Post work out...whey protein.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just tried the Whey Protein and would recommend it if you want to feel satisfied but don't want a lot of extra calories.
  • BobL436
    BobL436 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually have a whey protein smoothie with almond milk and banana.
  • lucky01day
    lucky01day Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    it depends when I work out... I drink A LOT of water when I workout typically so I'm not usually too hungry afterward. With that being said, usually if I do eat something it is something small and snack-like like yogurt or something :ohwell:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

This is a bit of a myth. Your digestive system slows down at night, but it doesn't stop. You burn fewer calories at night, but you're still burning some. You may have just a slightly higher energy storage from food eaten at night - but just because you store a little more doesn't mean it's bad - you'll use that energy later. It's more important to balance the long-term (weekly) energy consumption/expenditure than look at each day individually. I frequently eat at night (after workouts) and it hasn't hindered my progress at all. I have trouble sleeping if I'm hungry at night! There are tons of threads about this on MFP.

Regarding good post-workout foods, It depends on the mood I'm in, but I'll always try to have *something* - my common post-workout foods include a tuna pancake (a can of tuna mixed with egg white, cooked like a pancake), fruit smoothie with a milk base, almonds, bread & peanut butter, cottage cheese, regular cheese, seitan, etc. Sometimes I'll even eat a little of our dinner leftovers. I usually try to get in protein, and often times I'll try to fit healthy carbs in too.

Edited to expand my first paragraph.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love a glass of chocolate milk immediately post workout. :) don't do it very often, but it is my favorite thing.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What do you eat after a big workout? Typically, I just have a smoothie but I'm looking to mix it up. Also, if you workout at night, do you bother to eat something before going to sleep?

Egg whites and sweet potatos..Chicken and brown rice..Oatmeal and whey protein. Fish and rice..Post WO nutrition is always important regardless if you WO in the morning or 10 at night.
  • srsimon
    srsimon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i love a glass of chocolate milk immediately post workout. :) don't do it very often, but it is my favorite thing.

I saw on exerciseTV the other day that this is one of the best things to have post-workout!