Still eating too much

Options
I am having a really hard time this go around trying to stay within my calorie limits. I am just always so hungry even when I eat filling type foods. Sometimes it is no more than an feeling of wanting to eat something that is crunchy so I end up eating chips or crackers or something. I try really hard to be aware of the portion sized and serving sizes of everything but the amounts seem so small and I am still hungry afterwards. Any advice on how to get my body to adjust to smaller size portions faster so my poor husband, and I, don't have to go through the Hangry (angry because I'm hungry but can't find anything within my remaining calorie limit left) phase. I am a pretty picky eater so that doesn't help matters. Also it usually seems to happen at diner time and often the frustration of it all just upsets me so much. I get so discouraged because often what is available for me to eat and to stay in my calorie limits just doesn't appeal to me and I get even more frustrated because I know if I just settle for something other than what I may be craving then I still feel hungry and just plain defeated with the whole process.

Replies

• mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie limit? Perhaps it is too low for you. Maybe you can eat a little more and lose at a slower rate. When I feel like eating something crunchy I munch on celery (if I am over my calorie limit and can't fit chips in).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You only have 35 lb. to lose. Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & calorie goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a sustainable calorie limit to begin with (1200 calories is not the right answer).. and if you give into temptation, stop buying the stuff your tempted by..

Lastly eat more protein to feel fuller, and add a large serving of veggies.
  • ashowers36
    ashowers36 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well thanks to your post I noticed that my tracker didn't update my new weight loss goal. I my goal I started at the beginning of March was to lose 10lbs by June 1st. I only weigh myself once a week and my weight has been yo yoing the whole time. :(
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, make sure your goal is realistic. Set no higher than 1 pound per week for the amount of weight you have to lose.

As far as what to eat, a lot of people say fiber (veggies, fruit) but to me those things aren't really filling. I do much better with high protein and healthy fats. Say I'm having a salad - I could have one with just a bunch of veggies and fat free dressing but i'll be starving in an hour or two. It might eat up a few hundred more calories but t's much more satifying if I add some protein (chicken, cheese, ham, chickpeas, etc) and use full fat dressing instead.

I've also found some more processed foods/so-called diet foods might taste good and be low cal but they don't really keep me full for very long. Things like frozen dinner, snack bars, etc.

The great thing about logging is that you can pay attention to how the foods you eat affect you, make notes about it and then think about what you can do to improve/change.

If you're not already exercising, I find it helps to earn those extra calories to get me through the day.

Good luck!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    More protein and complex carbs more often. Try to eat something protein based every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. This helps keep the HANGRIES at bay.

ETA: Log every thing you eat and eat every thing you log.
  • blahblah1990
    Options
    Urghhh I know exactly how you feel :(( I'm just trying to maintain my weight yet I can't stop bingeing!
  • ashowers36
    Options
    Make sure you have a sustainable calorie limit to begin with (1200 calories is not the right answer).. and if you give into temptation, stop buying the stuff your tempted by..

Lastly eat more protein to feel fuller, and add a large serving of veggies.

It does have my calorie intake to 1200 but that seems pretty reasonable considering how sedentary I am during the day (I have a desk job so there isn't much leaving seat to do things). I am a petite girl at only 4'10". My protein is usually higher than my fat intake and my carb intake is usually very close to what it recommends I have a day.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try lowering your weight loss goal to lose 0.5 lbs/week if even at 1 lb/week, your goal is still 1200 cals. That should bump you up to a higher number. I'd also agree with others that suggest increasing your protein intake. Our stats are quite different (I am 6'2" and eat 2200 cals/day lol), but getting at least 30% of my calories from protein keeps me full. If I'm not careful about logging and end up getting mostly carbs and not that much protein, I find myself starving all day. I am also vegetarian so I'm always concentrating on meeting my protein goal. I try to eat as close to 40/30/30 as I can each day (40% carbs, 30% protein & fat).
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & calorie goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Gah! I meant I use MFP's protein & *fiber* goals as minimums. Your calorie goal has your deficit built in, so you should meet it—not exceed it.

Sorry about that.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Well thanks to your post I noticed that my tracker didn't update my new weight loss goal. I my goal I started at the beginning of March was to lose 10lbs by June 1st. I only weigh myself once a week and my weight has been yo yoing the whole time.
    Update your ticker at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/home

The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

And the closer you get to goal, the smaller the margin of error gets to keep a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try going up to 1300. I did this and helped a lot in terms of feeling satisfied. You will still be at a deficit and will still lose weight. Be patient.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    OK... so you're eating at 1200 because you have a desk job... what is your BMR? I have a desk job and I'm pretty short... mine is 1450... so I set my goal at 1500. My TDEE (working out 3hrs/week) is 2100.

I guess it just depends on what your workouts look like. Are you getting in daily exercise... are you eating back those calories? I would say to up your calories by atleast 100/day... and remember... if you're still hungry... eat... then go for a walk to offset the calorie increase. You can go at weightloss by either side, you know.
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with other responders, I lowered my weekly loss goal to 1 lb/week and MFP increased my calorie limit from 1270 to 1470/day. This is definitely helping me stay satisfied. I also have my activity level set as sedentary (work an office job too), so any exercise I complete gets logged and then I am allowed to eat even more (MFP recalculates your daily goal and increases it so you can eat back your exercised calories).

My stats: 29 yrs old, female, 5'4", SW 200 lbs, CW 189.8 lbs, GW 140 lbs.
  • ashowers36
    Options
    So I went and adjusted my profile to say lose only .5lbs a week and it only gave me 90 extra calories a day....:( So I just decided to leave it at 2lbs a week since both 1 and 2 lbs have me at 1200 calories a day. The 90 extra calories really isn't going to make a big difference in sating my hunger.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry then eat. Losing weight is a lifestyle change; not a diet. Suggestions - 1. Split your meals up into six times a day. I have a desk job also. EXAMPLE - I eat at 7am, 930am, 12pm, 230pm, 515pm, and 730pm.
    2. If you are using what "mfp" sets you at for carb intake; I believe it is too high. You can adjust your macros
    EXAMPLE - Carb 40%, Protein 30%, Fat 30% - you can adjust as needed; some weeks I need more carbs (I blame it on hormones. LOL)
    3. Exercise - do you do any and if so do you eat back those calories?
    EXAMPLE - I try to burn 300-400 calories 5 times a week. After workout I make sure I eat good protein, minimal fat, and complex carb.
    4. DO NOT beat yourself up when you are HANGRY!! It is your body/mind telling you that stressing about not meeting a requirement is not helpful.
    EXAMPLE - I adjust my macors, calories, menus, etc. on a weekly, biweekly, monthly basis, depending on what is happening in my life.

You will fill find a medium that will work for you. No one can promise easy; but so worth it in the end! Eat to Live, not Live to Eat!!

Good Luck