is this the wall? might be TMI

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been on this site on and off for a few years with some success. I've now recently got back into my weight loss journey about 2 weeks ago. I've dropped 8lbs so far (all water weight I know) but I think I've hit a physical wall, let me know if you felt like this?

So I've been working out everyday and on days I don't go to the gym I run on my treadmill at home. I've been aiming for the gym at least 3x a week for my strength training. I've also changed my eating habits to more fruit and vegetables, whole grains and no sugary drinks just water. last night after my session with my dietitian I felt like crap, and I mean crap! I've had to force myself to eat supper and I barely did that. with supper I maybe got 1000 calories in and by the end of the night I had body aches. I don't think I have the flu but my body just hurts!

I really want to go to the gym tonight since I didn't get my strength training in last night (my session went 1/2 a hour longer than I was scheduled for) but I don't know if its a good idea.

did you ever feel like this in the beginning of your weight loss journey?

Replies

• vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ummmm you should be eating more than 1000 calories a day.
    Especially with working out the way you say you are.
    Find a new dietician if that's what she is recommending.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Ummmm you should be eating more than 1000 calories a day.
    Especially with working out the way you say you are.
    Find a new dietician if that's what she is recommending.

I'm going to assume you don't normall eat 1000 calories a day since you said you had to force yourself to eat.

But yes you need to be fueling your body. ESPECIALLY if you are lifting weights!

Do you think you are eating enough most days?
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have days like this myself. Have you significantly reduced the amount of carbs you are eating? some friends of mine recently started a Whole30 and they are junkfood junkies. They experienced what you described and someone told them it was the carb-flu and would hang around a couple days while their bodies adjusted to the whole, nitritous foods they were eating versus carbed up processed foods.

I find drinking a lot of water and eating more lean proteins helps me through these days.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • ppeaches21
    ppeaches21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK that makes since. So should I give my body a day of rest? cause I really don't want to miss my workout but I don't want to over do it
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    sounds like you'e just genuinely sick. and yeah you should always have rest days
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Listen to you body. If it is telling you to take it easy today, then how about a walk instead?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think that you are over doing it on the exercise..I always suggest one, one hundred percent rest day for muscle recovery and so that you do not get burned out on working out all the time.

how many calories per day do you consume on average?
  • ppeaches21
    ppeaches21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    average I'm consuming 1300-1400
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Set MFP up to lose 1lb a week. Bet it gives you a damn sight more than 1,000 calories. Eat those. All of them.

Log your exercise. Eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories.

Take two days off from exercise a week. You can make that active rest if you have itchy feet - say walking or gentle swimming.

Doing this, you'll get your energy and appetite back, sleep better and be able to hit your workout goals without waking up feeling like you've been beaten up.

It's during rest days that muscles recover and grow; without rest you won't get the results you;re looking for.
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you are eating under 90g carbs a day you might have a bit of the "carb flu" - generally it goes away after the first week or so, at least that is what most people starting a low-carb track have experienced, it may depend on how much sugar and processed (simple) carbs you were eating and fitness level. I was fuzzy headed and ached everywhere for about five days when I did a two-week reboot.

If you have a hard time eating your full calories have you considered adding Quinoa? It is fairly heavy calorie-wise (more than rice) but healthy, plus it ups protein levels and is a complex carb. It's also really versatile, so it is easy to add.

Hope you feel better, I think everyone who starts a new workout plan has days where dragging yourself out to the gym/workout is rough!