Pregnant and gaining SO much weight! HELP?!

Options
I'd lost over 100 pounds and then I got pregnant.....I am only 12 weeks and I've gained 14 pounds! I don't want to blimp up.....I can't seem to control my appetite though, and when I get hungry it overrides my judgment. I just eat whatever is most convenient or looks good at that moment. Plus, I feel nauseated all the time but never throw up, and starches temporarily calm my stomach down, so I've overindulged. Vegetables make me gag right now (except uncooked crispy ones like carrot sticks, cucumbers, etc.). Also, I've been too tired to stick to my regular exercise program and have just been going on easy walks every day.

Tips? Help? Encouragement???!!!!!

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I am so glad to be done having babies. Lol! I have very little advise to give you, but I wanted you to know I had the SAME struggles both times I was pregnant. I had my second son in May. And with him, I just did my best to keep exercising. You're going to be tired whether you exercise or not. So just keep doing it as best you can. I started off 10 lbs heavier with #2, but I was in much better shape and that helped a lot. I couldn't stand veggies either time. Just do your best. (((HUGS)))
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not all starches are bad. Rice cakes, low cal popcorn, sweet potatos, etc. are all good. I understand that crazy hunger. Just make sure you guy good stuff at the grocery store so that all you can pick from is good stuff. For example, don't buy the Cheez Its if you're prone to eat the whole box. Stock up on the carrots, cucumber, celery, raw brocollli, anything raw you can eat. Mix some dry ranch seasoning with plain greek yogurt to liven them up a bit. Easy walks are fine if that's all you can do. Try to walk a little bit faster each time you go. You can do this. Don't get discouraged.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem the first 12 weeks. I felt a lot better in the second trimester and was able to eat well and exercise, so I didn't gain weight as quickly then. If you have time, try to make a big pot of soup and eat that whenever you feel icky.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    A lot of weight in the first 3 months of pregnancy are water, fluids, etc.

As far as cravings go, try to eat the best option possible when you crave. Instead of mashed potatoes, get a sweet potato.

You need to gain weight for a healthy baby so don't be afraid of the LBS just make sure you get a balanced nutrition so that the weight won't be due to you just stuffing your face.

Try to eat a lot of protein.

Taking small walks are good for you & baby. Anything more than that I wouldn't personally do.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    No advise, but I can totally sympathize. I gained 70 pounds this past pregnancy. I was so nauseated until 16/17 weeks, and of course, starchy carbs were what made me feel 100x better. I think I had gained 30 or 35 pounds by the 20th week. Add in Christmas and Thanksgiving, and I was a beast! I'm 3 months post partum, down 40 pounds, 30 more to go from the pregnancy.
  • ajs_holm
    ajs_holm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am back on a diet program for doing and feeling 100% like you, by 12 weeks I gained 15lbs .... I ate all the time, I felt like all I did was eat. If you had a weight issue before being pregnant then multiply how hard it is times 50!!

Find the healthy stuff that doesn't make you sick and eat it ALL DAY! Remember, eating for 2 is a myth! You only need an extra 300 calories a day to keep you and baby healthy.

WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER .... Did I say Water????

It will help you stay fuller (some), It will keep the impulse eating at bay, It will help you feel better, It will help with sugar/salt cravings.

If you are good with carrots then take some stuff full of fiber and mix it with carrots! .. Shred cabbage and carrots, make a GIANT container of it .. stick it at your desk or where ever and put a fork in that bad boy and go to town on it all day if you have to.

STAY AWAY FROM WHITE STARCHS. Just makes you more hungry and makes those sweet cravings go up.

Caffiene is a big no right now so if tired of water, try Fresca, its a carbonated citrus water with 35grams of sodium.

Grill a whole bunch of chicken, cut it in strips, season it with SALT FREE seasonings... I say salt free because if you are anything like me I craved salt to the point I wanted to buy a rabbit salt lick and go to town. Then in my 3rd trimester I was miserable like nothing else because I was retaining so MUCH fluid!!!!

Go buy the Mrs. Dash salt free, they are really good and help alot.

I can't stress all of this enough, but I know how hard it is and how horrible those pregnant cravings are.. Most cravings are caused by a lack of something due to pregnancy... TAKE YOUR VITAMENS!

Another thing... WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK ... 10 MIN, 20 MIN... 3 times a day for 10 min is WAY better than nothing... I promise you it will help!!

Walk
    Water
    Eat all day on good foods you can handle... and I MEAN ALL DAY! Don't think 3 meals anymore, think .. oh I am on an elevator, let me pull out my baggy of carrots and eat 3 before I get to the 5th floor ...

Good Luck and Congratulations!
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It really depends. For the most part, that 14 pounds is mostly water retention and hormone changes trying to make your little bundle comfy and safe. Try you best to log your calorie intake and only add 300 calories a day to it, that is all the baby needs. Try to get your essential nutrients in, but if that is making you sick, prenatal vitamins do just fine at covering your bases. I didn't gain any weight with my second child, but I had morning sickness throughout the whole pregnancy. I kept walking too and please do yourself a favor and sleep whenever you can, because you will NEVER sleep the same again after the baby arrives :smile: Best of luck!
  • erellube09
    erellube09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been there twice. I get horrible morning sickness and food aversions when I am preggo. I didnt eat a single vegetable the whole time I was pregnant and couldnt stand most fruit. I just ate whatever and whenever I needed to. Dont feel guilty eating carbs and things that you normally would not eat a lot of. You are growing a baby right now! You will have plenty of time to lose the weight after you have your baby. I gained 45-50lbs with each pregnancy and lost all the weightand more with diet and exercise the first time and I am 6 month post partum now and breastfeeding and I am counting cals and exercising and losing again! Try not to worry about the weight gain and enjoy being pregnant!
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is one of those areas that I think you really need to speak with your obstetrician/midwife about. You are certainly not the only one who struggled with this during pregnancy, and there may be some factors you don't know about (twins, gestational diabetes, family history, etc.). At 12 weeks of pregnancy you should be ravenous for food. It's not about willpower or control, but that you're building an entire human being. Make nutrient-rich choices, and get away from fast food, sodas, etc. which are loaded with empty calories.
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    From all the advice everyone has been saying, you should keep doing what you're doing, eating healthy, but dont supress your appetite too much by drinking too much water. the best exercise for a pregnant lady is either walking, swimming, and maybe even try some Yoga. But like everyone says, it's water weight, so long as you're eating right, then you're doing a great job :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I'm 11 weeks along with my 5th, and so far most of what I can eat is starchy carby stuff :tongue: I agree with the above post that said a lot of gain in the first trimester is fluids. Your blood volume is increasing (make sure you're getting enough iron!), you're creating amniotic fluid, etc. And, with increased carb intake, you're likely to be retaining water.

In my experience, the 2nd trimester is the easiest. You can start gentle exercise again because of more energy (I have been soooo tired this time in the first tri-). In general, anything you've been doing before you got pregnant is still ok, but talk to your OB as you may have special restrictions. You generally don't feel sick as much, so you can make sure to eat plenty of nutrient-dense foods and maintain a decent calorie level (~300 above maintenance is okay, but you may still be able to stay at maintenance). Eat back your exercise calories!

In the end, if you started at a healthy weight, you should expect to gain 30 pounds or so, but it's okay if you gain more. It's more important to make sure you and baby are getting everything you need. In my experience, if you were in good shape before pregnancy and stay mildly active during pregnancy (walk, swim, etc), it's easier to lose those extra pounds than if you hadn't done that work to lose the 100 pounds.
  • vklass
    vklass Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If your craving like crazy it may be because your not getting the nutrients you need so it doesn't matter how much you eat your body is going to scream at you until you get them.

You can try loading up on greens and fruit in unsweetened smoothies or fresh juices in addition to you normal diet and that may take down the cravings and it's not to hard to get down.

I know it can be hard when I had morning sickness with my first all I wanted was MacDonald's and I wasn't very active near the end it was so painful. With my second I kept up activity like Zumba and ate better and 9 months i was still active and felt so much better.

Good luck this is a special time for you find ways to enjoy every moment, it passes quickly!
  • erellube09
    erellube09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions, I just wanted to add that some people get sicker/have stronger food aversions than others. I couldnt eat chicken, be around chicken, smell chicken or I would immediately throw up. Carrots were definitely a no go. I could hardly drink any water at all or I would be vomiting all day long. My two main sources of food were red meat and white startches.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, join the group Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant - lots of MPF moms there to ask all sorts of pregnancy-related questions. I found it helped when I was pregnant :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

ETA: Not all women gain weight the same during pregnancy. I gained most of my weight in the latter second tri/early third tri. I have friend that put the bulk of their weight on the first tri and others the third tri. All depends on your body and pregancy because each pregnancy can also be different (sure doesn't help does it??). With all that being said, the weight gain could subside come your second tri. Hope that helps!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'd lost over 100 pounds and then I got pregnant.....I am only 12 weeks and I've gained 14 pounds! I don't want to blimp up.....I can't seem to control my appetite though, and when I get hungry it overrides my judgment. I just eat whatever is most convenient or looks good at that moment. Plus, I feel nauseated all the time but never throw up, and starches temporarily calm my stomach down, so I've overindulged. Vegetables make me gag right now (except uncooked crispy ones like carrot sticks, cucumbers, etc.). Also, I've been too tired to stick to my regular exercise program and have just been going on easy walks every day.

Tips? Help? Encouragement???!!!!!
    Congratulations!

Talk to your doctor about your dietary needs while pregnant. He/she is really the only one who can advise you.