New guy needs Friends, Tips, and Advice. Need to Succeed

Options
So I’ve bounced around from post to post quickly recognized two things; (1) people love sharing their opinion and (2) people really love posting their disagreement to previous posts. It is quite entertaining – until I discovered I am the one who feels the need to stick their neck out seeking accountability partners and sage advice on my own progress or miss-steps. That being said, I am nervously wading into the shark infested waters with a couple of “newbie” questions. I do apologize if this is longer than it should be.

First – I’m tired. Yes I get between 6-8 hours each night, but still feel like I am “dragging” through the day. Is this because of a lower calorie intake? What are some good foods I can pack along that won’t ruin my calorie intake for the day, but are good for fuel?

Second - I am taking Phentermine as suggested by my doctor for the next 60 days. Yes I recognize this is not popular with many of you, however he (doc) suggested I take it to help with excessive weight gain I have put on after multiple spinal surgeries (military injury). As I learn new eating “habits” and get more comfortable with using MFP, what is everyone’s general opinion on eating either “3 squares” a day, or 5-6 smaller meals spread out throughout the day to keep the body “fueled.” Or does it even matter what at the end of the day since I am simply looking for a calorie deficit? This is important to me because I hope to rename and adjust my “MFP Log” to correspond to the best approach. If anyone (who is experienced and successful using MFP) wants to look at my log, I have made it public. I’m interested in what I’m doing right, or wrong. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mpjmmp

Just got a membership at a local gym (has a pool). I REALLY like it, but am restricted to what I can do (keep reading – it will make sense in a bit). Does anyone have any good “swimming” exercises for “beginners” that will burn calories without inducing a heart attack? (that was a joke for those strung a bit too tight)

Little about me.
48 Y/O Male
SW (March 24th 2014) – 283
CW – 274.6
GW – 225

I work 3 jobs, 7 days a week. 1 (desk) type job (Mon – Fri), 2 slightly active jobs in the evenings and weekends. Leave the house at 5AM, usually don’t return till 7PM. Currently recovering from multiple spinal surgeries; lots of hardware back there. I joke when I tell people there is more titanium in my spine than in most vehicles. Range of motion is limited – not able to go to the gym to become a sweat bucket on a treadmill (yet). Still have 5 more weeks of injections/PT before I am released from therapy. I’ve got a long way to go… just trying to get the best start possible. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Replies

• Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    May sound strange but I get tired at 2-3:00 in the afternoon so I drink a mocha flavored protein shake (w/skim milk) and add coffee, yes coffee. It sounds yucky but its not that bad especially after you get used to it. Then I snack on sugar snap peas for the rest of my work day!

Sometimes I will have an energy bar with a high protein content, but be sure to get a bar lower in calories.

Good Luck to you!
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only looked a little over a week back, but my first suggestion would be to double check your calorie goal. Thinking it should be a little higher. And definitely eat more. You're consistently eating well below your goal - that's not good long term.
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What helped me with feeling tired all day is truthfully eating better. I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, some yougart, and mixed nuts. My caffeine intake is very little. I had to play around with my calorie intake and up it and that helped as well. I tried to keep my carbs around 500g or less. Sometimes I would go above in carbs if I knew I was going to run that evening or spend a large amount of time at the gym. It takes awhile but I noticed with those changes that I started to not be tired all day.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, maybe you can start preparing your own meals if you're looking to watch calorie intake. Not trying to criticize but I see a lot of processed or store bought meals, which is okay but you have to be careful of the salt content in those. When you prepare your own meals you can control what goes in there. You can even make your own meal and eat more of it because it's healthier. For example, I see that you had a Starbuck's breakfast sandwich which totaled 500 calories this morning. You can make your own, just buy the Thomas light whole wheat English muffins (100 calories), use Turkey sausage patty (50 calories) a whole egg pan fried using cooking spray (75 calories) and a slice of Kraft singles (70 calories). You get a sandwich for 295 calories and you can add some mixed fruits to eat on the side for another 100 calories. You'll still be under 500 calories and not only that, you have a healthier breakfast and more food that you're eating to keep you full even longer.

Some snack suggestions are: A handful of almonds or mixed nuts (150-200) calories, 1 package of edamame beans (150 calories), apple with 1 TB peanut butter (150 calories), wheat thins with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese (150-200 calories). If you're going to snack on something, make sure it has protein and fiber because it will keep you full longer and give you more energy than other things like ice cream or sugary stuff. Not saying that you can't have any of that on occasion but if you do then try to work it into your day. Like if you are working out and have some extra calories that day then give yourself a little treat.

As for the 3 squares or 5-6 smaller meals a day, it all depends on you. I usually have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. If you're aiming for 1800 calories a day then maybe have about 500 calories a meal and then each snack should be about 150 calories. It will keep you going and your metabolism running. It's not an exact science and you'll have to play around and see what works for you. The most important thing is what you're actually eating.

Water workouts, I think that's a great idea especially since you're still recovering. It puts less stress on your body when you're in the water. Try to aim for a couple of laps and build up your endurance. Also, jogging back and forth in the water will help too, as long as you're constantly moving, it will help.

Good luck and feel free to send me a friend request. I try to be supportive to all my friends.
  • mpjmmp
    mpjmmp Posts: 12
    Options
    my first suggestion would be to double check your calorie goal.

My calorie goal was set at 1800 by MFP, and you are right - I do need to eat more. I've noticed I've missed the goal more days than not. My trouble comes from not wanting to continue eating at night to reach the goal, then going to bed with too full a belly. I've got to figure out how to be prepared for the upcoming day, so I can "graze" throughout.
  • mpjmmp
    Options
    You can make your own, just buy the Thomas light whole wheat English muffins (100 calories), use Turkey sausage patty (50 calories) a whole egg pan fried using cooking spray (75 calories) and a slice of Kraft singles (70 calories). You get a sandwich for 295 calories and you can add some mixed fruits to eat on the side for another 100 calories. You'll still be under 500 calories and not only that, you have a healthier breakfast and more food that you're eating to keep you full even longer.

Some snack suggestions are: A handful of almonds or mixed nuts (150-200) calories, 1 package of edamame beans (150 calories), apple with 1 TB peanut butter (150 calories), wheat thins with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese (150-200 calories).

This is GREAT stuff. I really enjoy everything you listed above too. AWESOME!
  • babyluu80
    Options
    It's amazing how your body feels when you start eating more fruits, veggies, whole grains. You really start to notice a difference in how much better you feel. At least I have. I don't know how tall you are so don't know how many calories you need to eat but if you find yourself getting hungry in between meals then I suggest trying 5-6 small meals or 3 meals and 2 snacks. It will help curb your hunger and give you a bit more energy.

Lately I've started making a green smoothie for breakfast and I find that very satisfying and I feel less bloated. TMI, lol. :-D I don't usually get enough veggies so this is a way for me to sneak some in. I use 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup of spinach. Blend that up first then add frozen pineapples/peaches/berries and blend until it becomes a nice smoothie. It's about 200 calories for that shake and it's all healthy foods.

Feel free to email me for more ideas. I like to share recipes and stuff. =) There's always a lot of low calorie options, even when it comes to dessert.
  • purplemurfy
    Options
    " My calorie goal was set at 1800 by MFP, and you are right - I do need to eat more. I've noticed I've missed the goal more days than not. My trouble comes from not wanting to continue eating at night to reach the goal, then going to bed with too full a belly. I've got to figure out how to be prepared for the upcoming day, so I can "graze" throughout."

(not sure why that didn't "quote" like it normally does)

Keep in mind you can customize your calorie goal as well. And you for sure want to eat a bit more on the days you're working out. I've seen many people suggest eat 1/2 of those calories back.

Prepping in advance is definitely what keeps me on track. I cook on Sat/Sun for my lunches and sometimes even breakfasts for the week and I usually have a dinner planned that will turn into left overs 2 or 3 more days.....

You can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to see my diary.
  • mpjmmp
    Options
    babyluu80 - I need to buy a blender. That sounds good!
  • mpjmmp
    Options
    purplemurfy - that’s exactly what I need to start doing. Sunday afternoon is my ONLY day of the week that we are not working. It seems like a sacrifice to spend the afternoon in the kitchen but to be honest - for this to work, I don't think we have much choice..
  • babyluu80
    Options
    You can turn it into a family thing. Meal prep Sundays! If you have kids, it will teach them to be more conscious of what they're eating and learning to eat healthier. =D Plus you're spending quality time with each other.
  • purplemurfy
    Options
    You can also try some slow cooker recipes. Less time in the kitchen so that you can enjoy your only down time and voila you've got lunches. :tongue:
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Always looking for new friends to motivate and vice versa!
    I munch on carrots, strawberries, watermelon, cheese, bananas throughout the day, salads at lunch and then a slightly larger meal at dinner to hold me over until morning. But I also get one piece of chocolate in there too!