Losing lots of weight and buying clothes that fit

Options
Domineer
Domineer Posts: 239 Member
So I am losing weight pretty quickly and I am trying to refrain from buying clothes due to the fact that I plan on losing another 50 lbs. However, my former XXL shirts and size 40 jeans make me look bigger and are sloppy looking. I feel great in XL shirts and 38 waist jeans. I like the fitted clothing look. What do you guys do to save money while still having that fitted look? Tailoring can be expensive and sometimes it's more cost effective to buy new clothes than to modify old ones.

Replies

• traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My husband is losing weight pretty quickly also and works in a corporate environment and has to look his best. His wardrobe was starting to get negative attention from his colleagues(they were commenting on how his clothes looked like they were going to fall off), so he bought some relatively inexpensive corporate wear to get him through until he reaches his goal. I think, if you like the fitted look, then it is important for you to wear what makes you feel good. It can only help your goals. So I guess what I am saying is, maybe buying slightly lesser quality until you reach your goal may help you get the look you want without the expense.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Buy expensive stuff, wear and resell
    Buy cheaper stuff knowing it's only going to be temporary
    If you have good quality clothing look to see whether it could be tailored
    Good will/second hand/Ebay - for some in between clothes

It sucks in one way but in another it is AMAZING! Well done on your incredible loss so far
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Go to the thrift stores and consignment shops. Many other pros are in the same boat as you do sometimes it's possible to find brand new clothes at the thrift store.
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Go to the thrift stores and consignment shops. Many other pros are in the same boat as you do sometimes it's possible to find brand new clothes at the thrift store.

ditto. I am just going to hit goodwill/thrift stores and pick up some interim clothes while weight loss is occurring. Once I am closer to the goal I will go and buy some clothes at the store (although you can find amazing stuff at thrift stores)
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like the fitted look, but going from a 20 to a 8 or 10 made me learn that I like my money more. I try to buy one pair of cheap or used jeans in every size. And I try to buy work clothes- enough for a week every other size or two. I've found dresses and skirts to be more forgiving. Then I use belts or stitch a few to take them in a bit.

My rule is to wear them until I can pull the pants down easily without unbuttoning. My plan is to wait until I hit maintenance and then stock up. All this is temporary. I feel good enough as long as I have one or two fitted outfits that make me feel and look good in my new size.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Either go for thrift stores or buy a couple of cheap clothes. Buy a pair at a time. I meant buy 1 pair for now and then after losing another kilo or two, buy another one so that you can have options.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of good will and VOA. Also platos closet (that one is junior sizes, they have a womens store too but idk the name of it) Even before I started losing weight I was a fan of second hand. I can get stuff with tags still on it for like $5. I buy my kids stuff there too just because they grow so fast I cant afford to buy new brand name for them every 4 to 6 months. Also check out craigs list. Often times you will find some one else who is/has lost weight and has several sizes they are selling now that they have reached their goal weight. You need to feel good in what you are wearing other wise you will look in the mirror and get depressed and that is not good motivation to keep going. Spend just a little bit of money on yourself, you deserve to feel good!!!!!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've started to hit my goodwill every feel weekends and browse for quality button down work shirts. I not only look in my current size, but also a few sizes smaller. If I find something that is a great shirt and it's got an additional discount because of the sticker color, I snatch it up to save for a few months from now.
  • lgtijerina
    lgtijerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I too am facing the same challenge, especially since I am in the corporate world. I have found some great deals on ebay. I bought a pair of pants from Talbots NWTs for $8 dollars + $1.95 for shipping. Nice pants that fit nice and are less than $12. I will most likely take them to a consignment shop when they no longer fit. Good Luck.
  • cumbriajane
    cumbriajane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could pick up a cheap second hand sewing machine and follow online tutorials.

I am no expert but I have learnt to take in tee shirts etc to make them fit better and put a dart in trousers so make them snug on the waist.

It is a great way to keep your existing clothes and have them fit you perfectly. The cost of a second hand machine is cheaper than lots of professional tailoring alterations. You also learn a new skill. Bonus!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

ditto. I am just going to hit goodwill/thrift stores and pick up some interim clothes while weight loss is occurring. Once I am closer to the goal I will go and buy some clothes at the store (although you can find amazing stuff at thrift stores)

I got pants for $1 that still had the original tags on them. LOL. Love thrift and consignment shops

ETA: And grats on the current problem you face :heart:
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores.
  • Mrsred09
    Mrsred09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hit up a thrift store or goodwill. It may take a few tries to find enough stuff, but its way cheaper for the short term.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I actually bought a fresh practically-brand new Nautica suit this weekend. Its a 46R (5 months ago I was a 48-50R) and no tailoring was needed. Price tag you ask? $15.95. A definite steal for sure!!!!! You guys are genius for passing this information off to me. Appreciate it.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    nothing fits me now. not at goal yet so just being patient :)
  • gracie11lexi13
    gracie11lexi13 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Go to thrift store for smaller clothes or do like I have done for the past 10 years. Bring your bigger size clothes to a cosignment shop. The money you earn from them selling them for you turn around and buy smaller clothes at the same place or go to a thrift store. I love doing that because I still get nice clothes and I never have to use my paychecks to buy new clothes with.
  • semckee
    semckee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought the same 4 styles of khakis from walmart in every size from 46 to 34, total cost was about $45 per size.
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    +1 for ebay

I got a gorgeous little summer top brand new with tags for about £3 and can't wait to wear it when I'm down another 15lbs or so
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores and consignment and I just went 'shopping' in my friends closet this weekend. She had a bunch of cute stuff she was getting rid of and I could use so win/win....
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with other people. Start with the thrift store and see if you can get some clothes there for relatively cheap. It will at least keep you looking alright until you want to buy new clothes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!