Running a race by yourself

Options
How many of you have run a 5k, or different race, by yourself? I'm nervous because I'm doing my first race, and I won't know anyone. On one hand it's better because I don't want to feel the need to keep up with a friend, but on the other hand I don't want to be the only person by themselves. What's your experience?

Replies

• ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I run them by myself all the time. I will assure you, you will NOT be the only person there without someone. Also the running community is very friendly find someone else by themselves and if they don't have head phones or or warming up say hi. That is how I've met a few people. For me a prefer running by myself that way I can get in the right mind set of what I need to do. Also the race itself is high energy so you really get swept up in all that and it doesn't matter you are by yourself. Go out there and have fun!! Good Luck!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I start off the first 20 feet with my boyfriend then he leaves me LOL It's all good I enjoy running alone since that is what I do 90% of the time anyway. Once you get going you won't feel like you are alone anyway - lots of people will be around. My 14 year old and I are running our first 5K together in May and she said "I don't have to wait for you do I?" Nice kid..honestly all she does is talk because running with me is a jog for her so I'd rather she go and leave me to my pace.

Enjoy!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I've run lots of races by myself. You will be fine. I agree with the other poster; the running community is awesome! Your adrenaline will be pumping. It's very exciting.

The last 8k race I ran (HUGE race), this mom brought her 9 year old daughter over to me and asked if she could stand with me until the race started. This little girl was so cute with her watch on to pace and her little under armour running gear. I was so inspired!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree with ecottencat... you will not be alone because runners are generally very friendly (especially at the back of the pack where I normally am) :)

I run races with a mix of either going alone, or with my brother/sister in law and occasionally a friend or two.

Often, the races without people I know turn out to be some of the most enjoyable as I am more apt to talk to strangers/connect with another runner who is right at my pace (rather than trying to keep up with my brother who is a good bit faster than me).

Don't sweat it... you'll do fine, and might come away with some new friends.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've run most of mine alone. I like to have some friends or family to spectate, and see me at the beginning/end (and sometimes along the way) but it's nice to be able to run at MY pace.

If you want to find someone along the way to chat to I'm sure you will, lots of runners are up for meeting people! (Though not all want to talk on route lol)
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first solo race next month. Training for a half marathon but my friends I'm doing that live down south. So to keep me motivated I'm doing a 10k. I think it'll be good cause I can run at my own pace without having to worry about keeping up with anyone (ha or slowing down not to leave anyone behind). You'll be fine, everyone's lovely on a race day.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run by myself. I don't want to feel like I'm slowing a running partner down.

I also prefer to drive to the race by myself, have no support crew, etc. I just zone out and run, I don't want to have to remember to wave to any fans in the crowd.

You don't really ever "run by yourself" though. At every race I've been to, there's been multiple people who will run alongside me for a bit and chat. There was one gentleman during my half marathon that gave me a much needed pick-me-up at mile 11. For the most part, runners are very friendly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How many of you have run a 5k, or different race, by yourself? I'm nervous because I'm doing my first race, and I won't know anyone. On one hand it's better because I don't want to feel the need to keep up with a friend, but on the other hand I don't want to be the only person by themselves. What's your experience?
    I've never started one alone, but it's very common for me to either fall behind or end up ahead of the people I'm with so that I end up by myself and I generally see a lot of others who are also alone (I don't know if they start that way).

I say go for it.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    the only (out of the four I ran this year) have been with friends. They aren't runners so as soon as the race started, I didn't see them until after I changed my clothes and was relaxing walking around the vender booths, they were just finishing. so yeah i run them all by myself. and 5K's are so short it just blurs past and you are at the end.

will you have family supporting you? I just find them at the end of the race and hangout with them.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I did the NJ Super Spartan by myself. Started with a group but we got separated within the first mile. The race was 8 miles. I loved it. That's just me though, I'm kind of a loner.

My understanding is that a lot of people run races alone. No reason to feel weird about it.
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Every race I have ever run i was "alone". With the crowds at the start it really doesnt matter, you will be so amped up and ready to go that you wont notice anything other than the surge of the crowd. I say go have a great time, and embrace the sensation of getting lost in that crownd and finding your own pace and rhythm amid the other runners.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like running by myself. I put on my music and just run. This way I don't have to worry about keeping up or slowing my pace to run with someone else. On occasion my husband will run the race with me, but he runs at his own pace and I run at my own pace so we don't really run together!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I run all my races solo. That includes half and full marathons. If you're nervous, enlist some friends and family to come cheer you on.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I run them all by myself. The few I have run with someone else, I felt like I had an anchor around my neck. I feel a camaraderie with the other runners when we're gathered on shuttles, corals and at the starting line but once the gun goes off, it's not a team sport – just me versus me in every other race I've run.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yup, like many people here I've run nearly all my races alone. Have a plan and know your pace from your training rather than trying to hare off with the races leaders. You'll find people to run alongside who are going at your pace, then you can wish them well and peel off to the next suitable running partner is you want to speed up or slow down.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think it is better to run a coupel by yourself, then you can just do your own pace.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I've run all of my races by myself. I keep my own pace since I'm racing myself. Sometimes I have friends who come with me to race, but we each go at our own paces and get separated.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I run at my pace. My friends run at their pace. it would be silly for us to try to stick together during the run.

That said, it's nice to have the company before and afterwards, but during the race itself, I'd say the vast majority will be running by themselves.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i noticed something, the people who run in big groups 3 or more and stay together throughout the whole race...they all come in after I do. lol. they always stop and take pictures at the mile markers and just take pictures in general. I have no time for taking pictures during a run. some people can continue to run and instagram during, i'm not that coordinated to do such things. so I race myself, keep my pace and enjoy the scenery. just have fun. remember its your victory lap from all the miles of training you put yourself through preparing for your race.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i noticed something, the people who run in big groups 3 or more and stay together throughout the whole race...they all come in after I do. lol. they always stop and take pictures at the mile markers and just take pictures in general. I have no time for taking pictures during a run. some people can continue to run and instagram during, i'm not that coordinated to do such things. so I race myself, keep my pace and enjoy the scenery. just have fun. remember its your victory lap from all the miles of training you put yourself through preparing for your race.
    Where are these races??? I've never seen picture-taking during a race. lol Silliness.

I've started with larger groups (four or five of us) but we break off into our own paces.