No added sugar diet

Options
I am looking into starting a lifestyle change of not eating any foods with added sugar. Has anyone done this or is currently living this way? If so, I would love to share ideas and encourage one another to keep plugging along.

Replies

• barbaradilisio
    Options
    I'm trying to do this too. The hardest part for me was finding out how many foods have added sugar in them! Things I didn't expect at all, such as pasta sauce. Reading labels on food was really eye opening.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS THE DEVILLLLLLL!

No, but seriously - this sounds like a huge hassle to me. Why?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much that's processed - and it would never have occured to me to check this, however, since i started logging, I have picked up some things that were a lot higher in calories from sugar than i expected.
    What i've decied is that when these are natural (part of a fruit or vegetable) I will prioritise the 5-7 fruit + veg a day over the sugar
    if they're added i'll decide if that item is really worth it.

So far most of my sugar is from fruit and fuit juice - I have one small glass of fruit juice at breakfast and usually 1-2 portions of fruit during hte day - so i haven't changed that though i do now measure my fruit juice glass and stretch it out with water

My biggest sources of added sugar so far are: nesqwik milk flavour and grenadine type syrups for water flavouring.
    On balance i've cut down on the syrups and I've started using angostura bitters from time to time to flavour my water when i'm not by a kettle in which case i have a fruit or green tea. I've decided to keep the nesquik but now it's a treat from time to time, rather than a staple.

I never had jars of pasta sauce at home, when i first tasted them at college i was really shocked at how sweet they were. The same with baked beans. Far too sweet for me.

You can make a lovely simple pasta sauce from tinned chopped tomato, onion and garlic, the trick is cooking it low and slow to get all the flavours at their best and maybe add a dash of balsamic vinagar to bring out the natural sweetness.

Good luck with the sugar watch - beware though - it's everywhere
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am looking into starting a lifestyle change of not eating any foods with added sugar. Has anyone done this or is currently living this way? If so, I would love to share ideas and encourage one another to keep plugging along.

I tried it for about a week or two when I first started. I used to believe that sugar makes you fat. I'm glad I found MFP and learned that sugar is a just a carb, and it's perfectly healthy, so long as it doesn't interfere with eating enough protein and other essential nutrients. That is, you can have a piece of cake, but you can't eat *only* cake all day. :bigsmile:
  • ncorkett
    ncorkett Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have also started working on a low sugar diet. I did good for 3-4 days and felt so much better, but completely fell off the wagon. It's so hard. I had a hot chocolate this morning and it had 20g of sugar. The recent announcement that the WHO is pushing for 25g of added sugar for adults has inspired me to do some research and pay attention to how much of it I'm eating. I easily eat double that in a day. If it's a bad day, then it's about 4 times that since chocolate makes me feel better. I would love to hear tips from others on what they are doing to reduce their sugar.
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I avoid refined sugar, because it's terrible for your teeth and I'd rather my calories come from something nutritious. You can do it without much difficulty if you cook your own food. If you eat a lot processed food and ready meals it'll be trickier.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I avoid refined sugar, because it's terrible for your teeth and I'd rather my calories come from something nutritious.
    Well refined sugar is no worse for your teeth than any other form of sugar such as in fruit and personally I just brush my teeth twice a day. Also sugar contains calories your body needs calories so it is nutritious in that way. Also the body needs sugar to function so you still need some source of it.

I understand that people may want to reduce their sugar intake but demonising it with all this misinformation is silly
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just love how avoiding added sugar opened my taste buds for other tastes! So much to enjoy in foods besides the sweet!
  • helizi
    Options
    Well refined sugar is no worse for your teeth than any other form of sugar such as in fruit and personally I just brush my teeth twice a day. Also sugar contains calories your body needs calories so it is nutritious in that way. Also the body needs sugar to function so you still need some source of it.

I understand that people may want to reduce their sugar intake but demonising it with all this misinformation is silly

Fruit has vitamins and fibre in it, so it's worth eating, and the sugar content is far lower than an equivalent amount of chocolate or similar. There are numerous other sources of calories and energy, the body is perfectly capable of breaking down starches and similar into the glucose we need: you won't somehow starve without refined sugar. And calling the correlation between sugar and tooth decay 'misinformation' is ridiculous. Find me a single dentist who would disagree.
  • Chipidies
    Chipidies Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I just love how avoiding added sugar opened my taste buds for other tastes! So much to enjoy in foods besides the sweet!

I noticed this too! I've completely cut out white sugar and corn syrup and was astonished to find my taste buds changed. Fruit is so sweet now! My only sweeteners are honey and palm sugar, both of which I use rarely.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you want some recipes for no added sugar that work and taste good go to www.SucroseFreeLiving.com

The coconut jam slice and baked chocolate cheesecake have to be my favourites.

I try to eat no added sugar as I'm sucrose intolerant, but I still eat the natural sugars myself. Honey has become a lifesaver for me in my recipes as an alternative to sugar, as well as jam.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly sugar free. I've been getting a bit more naughty over the past couple of weeks but typically I eat a low sugar diet. I eat whole unprocessed foods almost exclusively. I do eat oatmeal with some sugar and frozen berries in it once in awhile. I don't allow myself to eat processed foods because it causes problems for me with IBS. I used to use honey instead of sugar but actually found that honey bothered my IBS while sugar didn't!

If you want to be friends with someone who (mostly) eats a no sugar whole foods diet, add me on here. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Fruit has vitamins and fibre in it, so it's worth eating, and the sugar content is far lower than an equivalent amount of chocolate or similar. There are numerous other sources of calories and energy, the body is perfectly capable of breaking down starches and similar into the glucose we need: you won't somehow starve without refined sugar. And calling the correlation between sugar and tooth decay 'misinformation' is ridiculous. Find me a single dentist who would disagree.

If your chocolate has more sugar than typical sweet fruit, then you're eating the wrong chocolate.

Dentists are great at treating teeth problems, but not so much at predicting specific individual causes of tooth decay. Parents can attest to the drastically different outcomes of children with similar eating and dental hygiene habits. There are some dentists out there who acknowledge this, but still far more continuing to tout the ADA's outdated position from decades ago.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while. Close to a year. I don't remember exactly as it was many years ago. I didn't really find it all that hard after the first couple of weeks. Except for maple syrup and birthdays.

I still eat a diet low in added sugar, but not totally free. Probably 85% of my added sugar is maple syrup though. :laugh:
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make an effort to avoid the added sugars for the most part. But, if I want a piece of chocolate, or cookie or something every once in a while, I will! I am not physically able to give up my chocolate forever. Can't-WON'T! Lol, but I figure as long as it is not a part of my daily diet, it really can't be that big of a deal :wink:
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No. I don't see a point in restriction when you can just eat whatever as long as you maintain a negative energy balance. That being said, I don't like to eat junk or processed food, but that's just a preference. I do use sugar in baking and stuff. I'm not afraid of it.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    It's funny; I grew up with a diabetic mother and was kind of raised on a minimal-added-sugar diet. It's only been fairly recently that I've gotten comfortable with adding sugar and honey to things I am making, and I've found certain recipes really do taste better with that. Why not make peace with sugar and take control over the amount of it you consume without attempting to eliminate it entirely from your diet?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

What would happen to your teeth if you ate nothing but fruit 24/7?

How many times can they be brushed in that 24 hr period?
  • helizi
    Options
    What would happen to your teeth if you ate nothing but fruit 24/7?

Apparently fruitarians often do suffer from bad tooth decay. But I can't say I have any personal experience with the diet.