Night Leg Cramps

Options
I have been getting night time leg cramps off and on for the past few weeks. Last night was the worst. It lasted like 5 minutes and felt like I was being de-boned.

I have not had to exert myself in any unusual way during this period.
I have upped my protein intake for the past few weeks as well...hmmm???

I have looked online and there are a few things I can easily do to eliminate those possibilities (stay hydrated for instance). A guy in the office said to eat more bananas for the potassium (don't think it is this as I take multi-vitamins).

Any other ideas?

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As your co-worker said, potassium. Try eating a banana or something else with potassium. I get leg cramps sometimes and if I eat a banana everyday I don't get them.

I take multi vitamins daily too, apparently not enough potassium in them for me.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I'm voting potassium as well. A multi vitamin I looked at recently didn't have a lot of potassium. Sweet potatoes have the most potassium and so easy to bake or nuke one of those. And yes hydration as you said. Foam rolling may possibly help as well.
  • trinity5703
    Options
    I used to get them frequently.... and bananas is the answer. I dont eat one every day, but even one every other day will help
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Potassium and moe fluids. Magnesium may be an issue as well.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    you may need potassium
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    There's an old wive's tale that says putting a bar of Ivory soap under the sheets of your bed will help with leg cramps. I've never tried it but I know people who swear it works.

Besides that, my suggestions are the same as everyone else- Potassium or Magnesium.
  • Helenavee42
    Helenavee42 Posts: 175
    Options
    5 minutes? That's it? I used to get them so badly they would last up to 45 minutes. (Not a charlie horse I promise)

I agree with everyone else... potassium. I eat a good amount of spinach, kale, and bananas and since I have been my legs cramps have gone away. Always stay well hydrated.
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Agree, likely lack of potassium. Unless you're buying expensive entric coated (slow release) multi-vitamins, you're only absorbing 7-11% of it, and most of that absorption is B and C vitamins. The rest is destroyed by stomach acid. If you're eating a well balanced diet, there's no need for a multi-vitamin. Eat more beans, leafy greens, squash, salmon, and avocados. Go easy on starchy, sugary items such as potatoes, apricots, yogurt and bananas. You can also try using Nu-salt instead of table salt on your foods and in cooking.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Magnesium always helps me.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I have always taken a multivitamin, and used to get terrible leg cramps also. Tis true what they say, a banana a day keeps the leg cramps away.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You haven't upped your activity or anything? Upped your water intake maybe? Why the increased protein? Are you lifting weights? Doing squats, or lunges, or deadlifts? Things that will activate your leg muscles?

Besides the bananas, I'd also suggest maybe stretching your hamstrings... crazy thing but those muscles are key to a lot of pain and cramping I've had in my time and stretching them out now takes care of a lot of it...

But the vitamins sound great, but you may need a few more things to supplement...
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    I eat bananas daily and I tend to still get leg cramps while asleep. If I stretch my legs in my sleep with my feet pointed like a ballerina they cause leg cramps but if I stretch with my toes up and towards my head it I don't get the cramps, just a stretch. I have RLS, maybe it has something to do with that? I do not take medication for it. Best of luck figuring out a remedy!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    depends where the cramp happens. if I feel extra tightness in my calves like I know I'm going to get cramps there, I put on my compression sleeves on my calves. I have yet to get (knock on wood) any kind of muscle spasm/ cramps in my legs since I started running in oct.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Water and bananas cured my leg cramps.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and the pain is sometimes excrutiating. I have a high pain tolerance and sometimes, it breaks me down into tears. I don't know whether to get up and walk it out or be still or really wtf to do.

Here's what I find....first, do you drink any sodas? I have found that since I cut them COMPLETELY out of my life (including tea), the frequency of the leg cramps/bone pains has decreased drastically. Also, bananas do help with the potassium, as does orange juice. I also drink a Gatorade or Powerade every day for more replenishment. Drink lots of water. And until it stops, avoiding any quick stretching in bed, as that's another trigger for me....I have to have nice sloooowwww stretches or I will lock up tight! And I never, ever stretch while pointing my toes...eeeekkk...I might cramp up thinking about that, lol.

I still get them and if I get cold or over exert myself, I can pretty much plan for a rough night of pain. I wish you the best of luck. Waking up to that pain in the middle of the night sucks donkey butt...majorly!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. Increased my potassium and magnesium through bananas, sweet potatoes and fish. Haven't had a single cramp since. And they were really bad - from my toes all the way up to mid thigh...
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrendous leg cramps at night and my toes would dislocate and it was because I didn't use salt on my food. I introduced salt again and it cleared up and hasn't been a problem since.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Best treatment is stretching. I imagine it does a lot in terms of prevention as well, but for ME, the best method of prevention is water, water, water. Anytime I get calf cramps outside of pregnancy, it's always after I've just spaced out and not had enough water to drink the days prior.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    Next time you are the doctor's ask to have your electrolytes checked.