*****ake mushrooms -- are asterisks really necessary?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's the double-minded nature of this site. On the one hand, they say we have to be 18 or over to register. Then, on the other hand, they say we can't use "adult" language. There is also a sporting goods store whose name can not be typed in these forums.

story-school-shooting-riflegood-171738.jpg

I don't get it either. It's pretty stupid, I think.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that it would get filtered by the correct spelling.

The filter has been programmed to recognize certain combination of letters... even if they appear within another word...

For example:

abc****e****ghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    It's the double-minded nature of this site. On the one hand, they say we have to be 18 or over to register. Then, on the other hand, they say we can't use "adult" language. There is also a sporting goods store whose name can not be typed in these forums.
    Is this site double-minded or double-handed? Or both? And if both, does that mean two hands to one mind, resulting in four hands if double-minded?

I just want to get the head:hand ratio correct.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Is this site double-minded or double-handed? Or both? And if both, does that mean two hands to one mind, resulting in four hands if double-minded?

I just want to get the head:hand ratio correct.

Definitely both. It's a direct 1:1 ratio.

You're welcome.

I+see+what+you+did+there.gif
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

You're welcome.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, your avatar is awesome.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You're welcome.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, your avatar is awesome.

Thanks! it was my son's birthday cake. He turned 15 last Saturday. Layers of chocolate cake, chocolate icing, peanut butter/cream cheese frosting (whipped up so airy!), then a genache on top to emulate the chocolate coating of a Reese's.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This is in line with not being able to post the sporting goods store ****'s
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

You must be 18 to sign be legally able to sign the contract, aka Terms of Service, we all signed upon joining MFP, the 2nd is making the site safe for work. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You must be 18 to sign be legally able to sign the contract, aka Terms of Service, we all signed upon joining MFP, the 2nd is making the site safe for work. :flowerforyou:

Are people supposed to be using social media at work though? :laugh:

Seriously, I have never understood the point of designating certain words as "cuss words" or whatever. It's not just this site, all of society seems fubar to me. *shrugs*

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Seriously, I have never understood the point of designating certain words as "cuss words" or whatever. It's not just this site, all of society seems fubar to me. *shrugs*

First I apologize for the bad wording, I was posting from my phone.......at work :laugh:

As a member of this site for many years I appreciate the fact I don't have to hide the screen (if I am not moderating) from my friends grandson. Or be embarrassed when I suggest to a co-worker to use the site.

There has to be a line in the sand somewhere. I think today we are just too used to being able to do whatever we want, we hate to be told what to do.

The bottom line to me is, that someone owns and runs this site. He makes up the rules, we sign the contract and use the site for free.

If I cant say **** or **** it is a small price to pay for almost 41 pounds lost, 100 people I would call friend, keeping this weight off and paying nary a dime (except when I go to meet said new friends!!) I have friends on 'programs' over these same years that have lost and gained the same pounds, and THEN some.

TOS........small price to pay. Again, IMHO, as an MFP member. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh, and because of the rules there are many workplaces that allow MFP on their servers or through their firewalls. I have suggested to my company that they include MFP link on our Health and Wellness page. Not sure if they are looking into it, but I felt secure in making the suggestion to a Fortune 500 company.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

First I apologize for the bad wording, I was posting from my phone.......at work :laugh:

As a member of this site for many years I appreciate the fact I don't have to hide the screen (if I am not moderating) from my friends grandson. Or be embarrassed when I suggest to a co-worker to use the site.

There has to be a line in the sand somewhere. I think today we are just too used to being able to do whatever we want, we hate to be told what to do.

The bottom line to me is, that someone owns and runs this site. He makes up the rules, we sign the contract and use the site for free.

If I cant say **** or **** it is a small price to pay for almost 41 pounds lost, 100 people I would call friend, keeping this weight off and paying nary a dime (except when I go to meet said new friends!!) I have friends on 'programs' over these same years that have lost and gained the same pounds, and THEN some.

TOS........small price to pay. Again, IMHO, as an MFP member. :flowerforyou:

I have had jobs where I wasn't allowed to get online and some where I have been allowed. I try to follow my employer's rules so as to keep my job.
    :bigsmile:

I definitely appreciate free, which is why I try to abide by the ToS, even if I think that rule is silly. I also think it's silly that certain words might be "embarrassing" while the "G-rated" version of the word is okay. I think the G-rated version of some cuss words are embarrassing. :laugh:

I think the concept of "cuss words" will eventually go away. *crossing fingers*
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to invent an automatic censor thingy that can tell the difference between a naughty word and a perfectly innocent UK town such as S****horpe. I'm sure this isn't beyond our current technological capabilities. I think no-one's given the development of such an application a high enough priority. There are probably computer programmers reading this right now who could do the code and probably make a lot of money selling it to websites.