Target of 1900 calories - seems much higher than many here

Options
I have been using mfp for about 3 months now and have lost some weight through healthy eating / dieting & very regular exercise. I am pleased with my progress both on the weighing scales and with clothes. However, one niggling doubt that I have is that my target is 1900 calories per day whereas many others whom I see on here have targets set much lower than this.
Whilst I often come in well below my target (especially after a good exercise session), is my calorie target set too high?

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It all depends on varying factors, such as how much weight you need to lose and your activity level. Many people eat 2,000+ calories (including myself) and still lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you losing weight/are happy with your progress how could your goal be too high?

I'm of the "eat as much as you can while still losing at a rate you find acceptable' school of thought. Why would you eat less? For the joy of eating less?
  • calais8587
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1,840. I don't think it's necessarily too high especially if it is working for you. You can also change that by selecting more or less lbs per week on your weight loss section which will change your calorie number.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current height and weight. IMO, as long as you're losing weight at a rate you find acceptable I would leave it. Your new lifestyle will be easier to maintain in the long run, rather than cutting WAY back and then having to find a way to keep the weight off after you've reached your goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your male and you are just above the lowest recommended amount as it is...
  • hollyspoth
    hollyspoth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1848 and losing body fat. You are good!
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Some people go a little more aggressive
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat 2600 everyday and lose weight...

As long as it's working I don't quite see the problem
  • Mom2Matahna
    Options
    My target is 2200. If you have a lot to lose and your calorie target is too low, you will lose too much too fast and put your body in starvation mode. As long as you're losing and feeling better, keep it up! :)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depends on how big your are and your loss-per-week goals.

I have my goal set to my BMR (nearly 1900 calories), which at my size is about 1.5 pounds per week. Any lower than that and I tend to feel really run down -- it's not worth it to me for the extra weight loss.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1900 a day. I use my Fitbit to track my TDEE (I log all non-walking exercise on the Fitbit site). My average TDEE is 2780 currently (I have a spreadsheet with a rolling average) and I'm losing an average of 1.5lbs a week. I could go more aggressive if I wanted but when I did I was hungry and my running times suffered.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It all depends on varying factors, such as how much weight you need to lose and your activity level. Many people eat 2,000+ calories (including myself) and still lose weight. :flowerforyou:

Agreed. I aim for 1800-2200 depending on that day's activity.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Mine is 2000 and I eat exercise calories.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    my goal is lower (1450) because i have it set to sedentary then i eat back a good percentage of exercise so frequently exceed 2000 a day, but if i have a low exercise day(rare but it happens) i stay on track by eating to the goal. I tried with a higher goal but it didn't work for me psychologically i guess i need the reward for exercise idea We all have different motivators.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Depends on your gender, height, weight, how active you are...

I'm female, 5'4", have a desk job and if I sit on my bum all day every day without working out, my maintenance is around 1650. I exercise so I can maintain on higher.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat over 2000 calories myself and it hasn't caused me to gain any weight.
  • felonebeats
    felonebeats Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm eating 2400 a day and losing about 1lb a week
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Most people here have their calories set lower than would be ideal. I'm personally at 1,800 (although I've averaged 2,000 recently) and losing weight just fine. People come here and set their activity level as sedentary and their goal for losing 2 lbs a week. That means they end up getting recommendations of 1,200-1,400 calories a day. It's not wise, but that's not my problem.

If you are eating 1,900 calories a day and are losing weight, keep doing it. My personal ideal is to eat as much as I possibly can while still maintaining a decent rate of weight loss. I also make sure I rarely (if ever) go below 1,650 calories a day.
  • guitargod2014
    guitargod2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your comments which are much appreciated. I am happy with how I am doing and gradual weight loss coupled with gradual increase in fitness is what I am looking for. I am trying to do more of a long term lifestyle change than a big sudden change and will therefore keep going with what I am doing.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Im a girl eating 2000 per day and losing.