Net Calories???

Options
Ok so my net calories are never 1200.....i eat 1200 calories...not net calories. Is this going to keep me from losing weight? I dont want to stop losing weight because I am working out and trying really hard!!!! Do you all eat you exercise calories everyday?

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a magical # for everyone and if you are working out 200-300 cals a day it might be fine. It might not. If you are working out 500-700 cals a day it is definitely not good long term to not eat that back. I eat most of my cals back - mostly because I like food and exercise so I can eat more :laugh: but also because it had been working just fine for me to eat them back if I am hungry, and not if I am not. It's the constantly and long term being under your minimum calories that is detrimental. So if you zigzag and eat them sometimes, sometimes not, your metabolism does not think it's in a famine. Pay attn to your body and learn what #s work for you. If I net under about 1400 for several days I get lethargic, not to mention cranky :smile:.

PS, you say "keeping me from losing weight" - so if you have plateaued or are not losing -shake it up! Even go so far as to double your calorie intake for two days and then drop back down to a deficit (do it with good cals though, not just a ton of cake.... though, that's not even that bad once in a while!) See what happens! You might be surprised. and if it doesn't work, long term you won't gain from doing that for 2 days either.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Only if I am hungry... for the most part I try to stay as close to 1200 as possible. I never let myself go hungry so I will have a small snack. Even if that means I am over net or on a few occasions over all together.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I eat exercise calories. Others do not. But the general consensus is to not go below 1200 net calories.

From what knowledgable people have said around here, and is generally understood by most on the board, is that you need to have a Net calorie score over 1200 calories to maintain the basic amount of calories to not send your body into "starvation mode". When your body goes into that, you stop losing fat and start storing it. This is because your body feels that you've entered a famine and need to conserve energy stores to survive.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    yep- maybe not all of them but I eat at least half. Some I "save" for the next day if it was a really big work out. Remember it's net calories over the week that you are looking at, the per day is just a guide.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know exactly where you go from an unhealthily low number of net calories to an acceptably low number, but many people use 1200 as the general cut off. There are many people on this site who say that they went for a long time eating a lower net calories, and it DID slow their metabolism, making it hard to lose weight. Once they started eating more, their weight loss jumped.

Basically, what can happen, is that if you're eating only 1200 and burning a good bit each day, then the net effect is you're consuming much less than 1200 - over time, your body will adjust to getting that small number of calories and will slow your metabolism down. Not only is it harder to lose weight, but when you DO eat more, you tend to gain weight much easier.

I'm not a scientist, but I enjoy food and I can successfully lose weight while eating my exercise calories -why would I want to deprive myself and risk damaging my metabolism unnecessarily? Just my 2 cents.
  • jenn50
    jenn50 Posts: 81
    Options
    your net calories in NOT the amount of calories you eat. its your calories you eat - calories burned = net calories
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    yep- maybe not all of them but I eat at least half. Some I "save" for the next day if it was a really big work out. Remember it's net calories over the week that you are looking at, the per day is just a guide.

Can you elaborate on this? Or point me in the direction where I can find the information? I've recently switched to counting calories instead of "points", so I'm still learning. From what I understand in order to lose weight, your need a deficit of about 250-500 calories per day from your daily caloric needs(which I believe is your BMR). MFP takes into consideration this deficit and deducts it from the daily calories that are given to you. Realistically if you were supposed to get 1200 NET calories a day, then you would have to eat 2400 calories & burn 1200 calories, correct? You're indicating that the NET calories are over the week, can you explain this a bit more?
    TIA
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Can you elaborate on this? Or point me in the direction where I can find the information? I've recently switched to counting calories instead of "points", so I'm still learning. From what I understand in order to lose weight, your need a deficit of about 250-500 calories per day from your daily caloric needs(which I believe is your BMR). MFP takes into consideration this deficit and deducts it from the daily calories that are given to you. Realistically if you were supposed to get 1200 NET calories a day, then you would have to eat 2400 calories & burn 1200 calories, correct? You're indicating that the NET calories are over the week, can you explain this a bit more?
    TIA

1200 net would be (ie) eating 1500 and burning 300 for the day. That assumes that the 1200 you did not use for that extra exercise ("extra" because it's not already accounted for in the activity level you set for your MFP settings... now, if you set to "very active" because you go to the gym every day, you would not need to eat back any calories, or log your exercise even, because it's already accounted for in the # MFP gave you, but if you set to low activity or sedentary, you need to tell it when you are more active than usual - hence logging your exercises)... anyway.... it leaves those 1200 calories that are left to cover all the rest of the calorie burn you need to function throughout the day - everything from walking around to and from your car, to just the calories it takes to breathe and digest food and regenerate cells and pump blood. If your body takes 1700 calories to do all of this and you eat 1200 (after that aside exercise calculation and eating) you are eating 500 calories fewer than your body needs - so it will turn to other parts of your body to fuel that - you hope it uses fat stores, but it can use muscle stores as well. You want to do what you can to get it to use more / most fat than muscle to "feed itself" the deficit. (do a search if you want more info on the fat vs muscle thing...)

Same concept can apply to the whole week. You eat 1200 cals 7 days a week = 8400 calories. You have a 500 deficit a day = 3500 a week. If you eat 1000 some days and 1400 others you can still = 8400 a week which works the same as eating less each day. The perk it has is it does not allow your body to get too used to having just the same # or the same deficit of calories every day. Some people take this to various extremes with complete fasting days and "overeating" days. (not necessarily overeating like junk food... just # of calories).

Different things work for different people. Best to just make sure you educate yourself best you can on all the different topics and watch the scale, your measurements, your counts, your accuracy (meaning how accurately and honestly you log your food like using a food scale vs volume...), and most importantly how your body and energy levels feel.

Same
  • takirb
    takirb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This Net Calorie stuff confuses the heck out of me. Feel free to checkout my profile numbers for the day, but - today i drank plenty of water, ate a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and large salad from Chick-fil-A for supper. I also burned 626 calories at the gym on the elliptical. I'm actually stuffed 'cause i just ate the salad, but i'm -71 for Net Calories for the day. Maybe that'll balance out by the end of the week with all the sushi i ate last night for a cheat meal lol, but i can't imagine forcing myself to eat almost 1300+/- calories by the end of the night on my gym days in order to LOSE weight :(

Sometimes when i'm this low on Net Calories, i think back at how bad i was eating when i wasn't losing weight, and that method of eating seemed right in line with the amount of calories i should be taking in now to get to 1200/day. McD's for lunch and cereal or another McD's meal for supper back then typically, yet i'd lose nothing. I've lost 11lbs in a few weeks thanks to MFP and that involves salads or lean cuisines for lunch and supper, and 6 miles on the elliptical 3 days a week. I do have cheat meals sometimes, so i'm hoping that'll keep my body/metabolism confused enough to stay outta starvation mode. But 500 calories eaten - 600 calories burned = 1300 calories i still gotta eat to *lose* weight (??)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    This Net Calorie stuff confuses the heck out of me. Feel free to checkout my profile numbers for the day, but - today i drank plenty of water, ate a Lean Cuisine for lunch, and large salad from Chick-fil-A for supper. I also burned 626 calories at the gym on the elliptical. I'm actually stuffed 'cause i just ate the salad, but i'm -71 for Net Calories for the day. Maybe that'll balance out by the end of the week with all the sushi i ate last night for a cheat meal lol, but i can't imagine forcing myself to eat almost 1300+/- calories by the end of the night on my gym days in order to LOSE weight :(

Sometimes when i'm this low on Net Calories, i think back at how bad i was eating when i wasn't losing weight, and that method of eating seemed right in line with the amount of calories i should be taking in now to get to 1200/day. McD's for lunch and cereal or another McD's meal for supper back then typically, yet i'd lose nothing. I've lost 11lbs in a few weeks thanks to MFP and that involves salads or lean cuisines for lunch and supper, and 6 miles on the elliptical 3 days a week. I do have cheat meals sometimes, so i'm hoping that'll keep my body/metabolism confused enough to stay outta starvation mode. But 500 calories eaten - 600 calories burned = 1300 calories i still gotta eat to *lose* weight (??)

Eating breakfast is a good place to start to increase your calories - it's an important meal!! You definitely need to be eating more. Try incorporating high-calorie but healthy foods like salmon, avacado, fruits, nuts, whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, etc. You may feel stuffed if you're used to eating this few calories, but that doesn't mean your body doesn't *need* more. Eating this few calories won't necessarily cause you to not lose weight now, but it can damage your metabolism over time - your body will adapt to eating this low of a calorie amount and your metabolism will slow. It will become harder to lose weight, and when you increase your calorie level, you will gain weight easier than before.

Try slowly increasing your calorie goal - go for 1000 cal/day for a week, then 1200, then 1400...etc. You get the picture. Obviously eating too much is bad, but too little is bad too. I know it's hard to understand, but the healthiest way to lose weight for the long-term is to eat *enough*.
  • Krickette_16
    Options
    Thanks mjtwomail. It makes a bit more sense. It just gets way to confusing. I plan on doing some additional research and I'm also in the process of reading You on a Diet. So hopefully I'll understand it a bit more down the road.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!! My biggest problem is I dont usually get 1200 net calories on the days that I work out. I usually only eat 1200 cals....not eating my exercise cals
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!! My biggest problem is I dont usually get 1200 net calories on the days that I work out. I usually only eat 1200 cals....not eating my exercise cals
    I would check out people's food diaries to get some ideas. Mind you mine is skewed towards protein since I lift almost everyday.