no processed food diet

Options
Ok.. i always thought processed food is like- store bought TV dinners/ buritos, pizzas etc .. talking to a trainer last night it hit me. hard.. processed food is EVERYTHING>. .. the cereals we buy , the granola bars - any thing that had a box or a wrap on it..

now she tells me to try for a month not to eat

red meat
yolks
dairy
and processed food..

ok i can survive without red meat and yolks, but dairy ?? and now finding out you can't even h ave cereals .. what on earth can you eat ?

basically - fruits and veggies- brown ( Not packaged ) rice , fish, turkey, chicken ( if possible organic, no hormones ).. eggs/ organic of course- and i fogot to mention that the fruits and veggies need to be organic..

is it just me or does this seem a little bit " too much " ? .. first

that's again a " diet " not a lifestyle- or am i wrong, is there someone that really can live like this ?
is this financially sustainable- who can afford in this economy to eat- organic almost all of the time- maybe if you are single, or a coupple, but feeding 3-4 kids etc.. , really ?

please a little bit info on this .. i would like to hear some ideas- if anyone is doing this- how.. where do you find ideas what to eat, if you can't even have the beans from the can or the tomato paste.. or the salsa.. i don't know.. it's easier to list what you " can " have..

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think it is nuts, personally. Obviously you aren't comfortable with it. So why do something you are not believing yourself?

I'm totally for eating more naturally, but a lot of things you are crossing off can be quite natural. Honestly, if my trainer told me I needed to do that stuff, I'd fire her and get a new one.

Editing to add: yes, most of those things are easy to obtain, but when you are cutting out things that can be quality parts of your diet, that's where the problem is to me.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wanted to say that I understand where they are coming from but it is hard to financially sustain. Start out with just what they said but not the organic? Technically 'organic' is sometimes not so organic... It is all about eating healthy. That said I'm not sure I could do the 'no dairy'. Did you ask them exactly what they meant? Sometimes they mean no lunchmeat and processed cheese. Milk is very good for you and you really shouldn't cut that out. Also yogurt is very good for you. Asking why is your perogative.

So no processed also means breads? You need grains in your diet. Can you do oatmeal that is from a place like Whole foods? It is better then the stuff in boxes like fruit loops. I'm not an expert but when I got cancer 5 years ago I tried a few changes to my diet. Like you said it was hard to sustain financially. The best thing to do is eat a lot of 'raw' food meaning uncooked veggies and fruit and nuts (watch some of them because of fat content). Good luck and I'm always willing to talk.

Lisa
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think anything that you can't do forever isn't worth trying. I do not like any lifestyle that means you CAN'T have anything, you should be able to have everything in moderation. Should you live on kraft dinner and cereal? No. Of course not! But you can have them every once in a while if you want. It's all about balance, will power, choices, and sweat. Deprivation is the gateway to binging and failure in my opinion.

I like where the nutritionist's head is. Eat clean. Eat healthy. Don't put things into your body that aren't going to give it what it needs. There are plenty of natural foods out there that come in a package that are still good for your body, just more convenient. You can also find hormone free, free range, organic low or non fat dairy products that women especially need for proper bone, heart, and breast health. Vitamin D and Calcium are vital to women's health.

Basically, I guess I'm saying take what the trainer said with a grain of salt. Do what you are comfortable with, stay active, and be as healthy as possible and you will see results.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ask her to make you a diet plan .:bigsmile:
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    She meant- no dairy . Period. - why?

Milk - bad- too much hormones too much this and that.
    Yoghurt- i mentioned " yoplait " is like my cure for sweet tooth - she said stay away from it , loaded with chemicals, loaded with dye..

I guess- oatmeal from " whole foods " or wherever you can buy it bulk- should be fine since it's " not packaged " ..

i could play dumb here- in my " Farmers Market " - they have candy you can buy in bulk- even gummy bears- they are not packaged ? :)) - just kidding..

I don't know how much i could do with this " advice " - i don't order food , don't eat out, don't buy frozen meals, don't eat canned soups.. everything i eat - is homemade- but for sure i do use things i have listed.. like canned beans, and canned tomatoes, and yes my cereals come from the box !

I can't tell right now if i'm asking for an advice and opinion or an opportunity to vent because she has this radiculos demands- and now i think next time i complain of not having lost weight she will say " i told you what to do "
    i can't really fire her.. she is in a gym where i have a contract and there are many trainers - i was talking to " my trainer " and this one jumped in / like always.. and told me " this and that " ..
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE ON CONTROL. never forget that. A trainer works for YOU, if you feel her advice is not for you, say so. Heathly, clean eating does not have to be so complicated. Use common sense and portion control. My personal choices are :Red meat- lean cuts, dairy- low fat, bread-choose 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grain, eggs-1 yolk and 4 whites, lots of veggies and fruit, oatmeal-if I"m pressed for time I use quick oats, on weekends I"ll do the steel cut oats.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Well for the dairy, you can get hormone free dairy. Horizon is a brand that is in most grocery stores. I get my milk from a local dairy farm that uses no hormones and feeds their cattle grass, rye, and clover.

Really, I think she's just phrased these things poorly to you. Perhaps her real goal is a more natural diet. A stupid package isn't the problem, it's the processing in making the foods. So I think there may be some poor communication from her to you.

Using the oatmeal example, just because it comes from a bin and not a box doesn't make it healthier. Rolled oats are not as good for you as steel cut oats.

Most yogurt is icky. Go for greek yogurt. You can get natural versions of that and add some honey - happy sweet tooth without the fake things that yoplait adds.

And like Connie said, it's up to you. But I also agree with what Ashley said.

Lastly, if you need to vent, then vent away. :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I hate when I see people on here saying they are going to eliminate dairy or a trainer told them no dairy. Low fat dairy is an easy way to some protein, a little bit of good fat, and calcium! Women need calcium! If someone isn't going to eat dairy I would highly suggest getting a calcium supplement.
  • chardero
    Options
    I'd love to see your trainer come to this site and track daily food. :)
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think your trainer is nuts. I certainly cant imagine a life like that. Basically you cant eat anything. I cant survive just on oatmeal and that other stuff that she is talking about..

I would ask her like someone said , to make me a plan what to eat for the week. Everything is full of hormones and bad stuff maybe the only other solution is to go live on a farm and have your own cows :) and plant your own foods, but then again the seeds have to be "organic" too :) ...and the ground needs to be organic as well.,...but hey with all this chemicals that are being released in the air and ground...i am 100% sure nothing is ORGANIC its just a marketing trick to make us "think" it is and spend more of our money. Simple as that. I dont have kids but i know that feeding me and my husband on a organic diet, would be very hard on our pockets. Just trying to eat more fruits and veggies is kinda more expensive......yeah....not for me.
  • Nature4
    Options
    well if you want and its your choice not forceing you but there is egg whites you can buy in the store, there is soy milk and almond milk for bread there is whole grain and yogurt there is soy yogurt and coconut yogurt there is veggie cheese there is pasta made from quinoa all this you can find in sprouts just opions and not foricing anything. quinoa pasta is very healthy i just know cause kids are allgeric to milk and my husband to flour but the quinoa pasta is a very healthy grain but you decide what is best for you or try the products and see if you like them just giving some choices i like the egg whites and no cholestrol if you have questions just let me know i will help in what i can
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My mom sees a naturopath who strongly advocates this way of eating - he eats like this and he does look amazing for a man in his late 40's or 50's. My mom was able to avoid going on celebrex for arthritis by following his anti-inflammation diet. There are few books out there that talk about this life style: Ultra Metabolism by Mark Hyman, The Schwarzbein Principle by Diane Schwarzbein and the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno.

I am going to try it after our last holiday party on Jan 8 and work my towards it between now and then.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd bet anything that your trainer is some wacko, nut-job vegan just trying to push her views on everybody else. Don't worry about it. You enjoy your yoplait and cereal. I PROMISE that you'll lose weight just fine. :)
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have friend who actually eats this way and she is very slender and rarely sick. She actually really doesn't eat any processed foods, eats all organics and avoids dairy. It works for her, she loves it, but when I think about it, I don't know that I could NEVER let myself have an unhealthy treat. Once I ate an oreo in front of her and she was appalled, lol! To each their own, but I think if you could do it, it's pretty darn healthy!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Ok.. i always thought processed food is like- store bought TV dinners/ buritos, pizzas etc .. talking to a trainer last night it hit me. hard.. processed food is EVERYTHING>. .. the cereals we buy , the granola bars - any thing that had a box or a wrap on it..

now she tells me to try for a month not to eat

red meat
    yolks
    dairy
    and processed food..

ok i can survive without red meat and yolks, but dairy ?? and now finding out you can't even h ave cereals .. what on earth can you eat ?

basically - fruits and veggies- brown ( Not packaged ) rice , fish, turkey, chicken ( if possible organic, no hormones ).. eggs/ organic of course- and i fogot to mention that the fruits and veggies need to be organic..

is it just me or does this seem a little bit " too much " ? .. first

Organic is a load of crap. Only buy organic if it tastes better. Do not buy it because someone tells you too. Organic just means the pesticides they use on it are less harmful to the environment and organic produce is not healthier than non-organic produce and anyone that actually tries to feed you anything different is fooling themselves and doesn't have a clue as to what they're saying. If you want to focus on something, focus on buying locally when possible, reduce the carbon footprint a little bit. As for no dairy, you could drink whole milk. I live in Canada so I don't need to worry about the dairy issues but I've read a lot on the subject with the hormones in milk in the States and it doesn't seem to be as bad as people are led to believe. As for cereals there are some very healthy cereals that have no added sugars or anything else. There are also some that only use organic sugars such as honey and cane juice. Yolks are only a bother if you already have high cholesterol or have a family history of it. Food cholesterol doesn't affect blood cholesterol, that's been disproved time and time again lately. I'm really surprised she didn't tell you to stay away from grains.

Next time ask her if she's a registered nutritionist and if not why is she advising you on nutritional matters.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    One of the healthiest men ever has stated many times that organic is a load of crap. That's coming from a man that has two famous quotes regarding nutrition. "If man made it, don't eat it." and "If it tastes good, spit it out." Jack Lalanne has espoused the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle since the 50s. He's recommended fresh fruits and vegetables and even made millions off of one of the first juicers/food processors but he thinks the whole trend on organic is a load of crap.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Organic is a load of crap.

I disagree with this statement. In the US, there are strict requirements in order to label something organic. (It is not like the "natural" label which isn't really regulated at all.) You can call a lack of antibiotics, chemicals, hormones, etc. "crap" - but many people don't want to be consuming these things if we don't have to be.

Here is the site about the organics program: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

I don't eat all organic, but I try to when I can - I get a bi-weekly delivery of organic fruits/veggies, a lot of which is locally grown. (I do agree with your statement that it is important to by locally grown food, if you can.)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Organic produce is no healthier than non-organic produce. One just uses pesticides that are more harmful to the environment. I buy organic food too but not because I feel it's healthier. Someone very close to me recently told me it was like this. If you have two pieces of fruit set in front of you and then someone sprays one with pesticide, which one would you eat? At first I said the one without of course but then after thinking about it further, I'd eat both but I'd wash the other thoroughly first. I'm not letting good food go to waste!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Organic produce is no healthier than non-organic produce. One just uses pesticides that are more harmful to the environment. I buy organic food too but not because I feel it's healthier. Someone very close to me recently told me it was like this. If you have two pieces of fruit set in front of you and then someone sprays one with pesticide, which one would you eat? At first I said the one without of course but then after thinking about it further, I'd eat both but I'd wash the other thoroughly first. I'm not letting good food go to waste!

Don't want to turn this into an argument or a back & forth - just want to point something out: Some fruits/vegetables have skins that prevent chemicals and toxins from getting inside, but not all. Some can absorb toxins - which is something you can't wash out. Chemicals used around animals can be absorbed into their tissue and become concentrated in animal fat. It's much safer to buy food from sources that eliminate the problem by not using the toxins in the first place!

It seems silly to say it's not healthier to avoid such chemicals - while the nutrition values itself won't be different, I'm pretty sure that my body would appreciate me limiting its exposure to toxins. Health isn't limited to straightforward nutrition value.
  • beeffalo
    Options
    Your biggest problem might be your trainer. No processed foods AND no red meat-eggs-blah-blah-blah... Too confusing to follow. But, if you keep following that trainer's advice you'll be so confused that the only person who will know what you need is your trainer!

Read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food. Easy reading; easy advice to LIVE by.