Why I overeat

Options
I think I get why I overeat. I've been used to eating healthy, eating high volumes of veggies, big portions that I'm used to eating a lot therefore when I eat not so healthy stuff (high calorie) I eat the same portions I do with veggies. Does that make sense?!

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's what scientists discovered.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm a volume eater, too! Sometimes when I decide not to get fast food it has to do with how much more I could eat if I made something myself. Other times it's just been so long that I either forget or discard my old tricks such as literally throwing out half the food (mostly fries, sides. The burger or main sandwich / strips definitely gets eaten!). :ohwell:
  • AVT78
    AVT78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    absolutely, makes perfect sense. I too struggle when I allow myself a cheat meal, it ends up being enough for 3 people :laugh: :wink:
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I struggle with portion control! Lol Like I can at a pile of veggies but then I can also eat a pile of rice but they're not the saaaaaaame!!! Must learn to balance it all out! Aghhh!

I can eat for three people too! LOL Amazes me sometimes.

It's like my stomach gets stretched by the volume of veggies I eat and so I eat more even if they're high in calories!

I also think about how I could eat more if I made something myself. Nothing beats knowing what I put in my body! but I think I gotta tone down on veggie eating though. Blaahh.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit. It has slightly higher calorie density than veggies, but still less than taters and rice, and especially processed food.

Calorie_Density_Chart.jpg
  • s_dash
    s_dash Posts: 6
    Options
    I don't know if it's just a matter of confusing portions. when you're eating a lot of vegetables, you're purposely depriving your body of fats and protein. We're designed to crave fats because during major periods of our evolution, and prior to agriculture and the domestication of livestock, fats and proteins were scarce. I guess, hypothetically speaking, when we have a steady stream of fats and proteins, our bodies aren't so ravenous for them. But when we go long periods without consuming a lot of them it kind of tricks our body into thinking there aren't many available, so that when we do have access to them again, our body tells us to load up on as much of them as we can because it doesn't know when we'll have more again.

Of course, if that's true, cheat days may not actually be the best dieting method. I'm sure studies have been done on this, now I think I'm going to have to research that.

Personally, I think it's bad depriving yourself of nutrients that you need. The best diet to me is one with a good ratio of macronutrients. If I'm craving something such that when I have it in front of me and I scarf it down in excess, that to me is a sign I need to adjust my diet.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I always thought I was a healthy eater because I love veggies and would pile my plate with them. But then I would eat the same portion if served pasta. Learning about portion size has saved me unnecessary and unwanted calories. I didn't understand why I could eat a whole bunch of broccoli with no weight gain, but the scale would increase eating 1 cup of rice.