dancing

What kind (if any) of dance style or class (or even at home dance) would be a good idea for weight loss? I am 5foot 9, I started at 400lbs and have lost 70 so far. During the winter months I didnt exercize much and now that spring is here I need to get the ball rolling. I love dancing and love music and I have a long way to go. Any suggestions?

Replies

• BahamaMama85
    BahamaMama85 Posts: 43 Member
    Awesome loss so far!

I've tried Zuma so far & it was fun.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Zumba is lots of fun! At my gym, there is a class called "DANCEATON" (which is a stupid name, yes) that is an hour of all sorts of music and movement. I regularly burn over 500 calories in that hour.
    If you go out dancing, salsa clubs will really get your heart rate up. Good Luck!
  • jamesguidera
    jamesguidera Posts: 14 Member
    Lindy Hop, it has mixed tempo's 180-300bpm. Beginners are usually around the 130-150bpm.

It is a social dance from NYC in the 1920-1940's so has a lot of history and style.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    I still do "Sweatin' to the Oldies" :laugh:

Any moving is good moving !
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    You can go to a Zumba class in a group fitness setting. I love Salsa dancing, and it is a fun way to lose weight as well.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    What I love to do besides just dancing randomly at home, lol, is to play dance video games. All the Just Dance games are fun (especially MJ: The Experience) and there's also Dance Dance Revolution and other console exclusive titles like Everybody Dance (PS3) and Dance Central (Xbox 360).
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    i started doing just dance ones an hour and half i done today
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Zumba is lots of fun! At my gym, there is a class called "DANCEATON" (which is a stupid name, yes) that is an hour of all sorts of music and movement. I regularly burn over 500 calories in that hour.
    If you go out dancing, salsa clubs will really get your heart rate up. Good Luck!

I am OBSESSED with Danceaton!!!! You must be in DFW?

To the OP - Any type of cardio dance class would be great if it is offerred at your gym. I also take an adult ballet class at a dance studio just because I love it. It's less of a cardio workout but great for flexibility, leg strength, and mental wellness. :) If you wanted to do something at home, search youtube for zumba or "cardio dance". There's lots of stuff.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    I also use the Just Dance games on the Wii - great way to have fun with the kids well getting a workout in ---- they always out last me :tongue:
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    I love to dance. Although I am not a dancer professionally, I just love to dance for fun. I started at 420 pounds and now I am 244 pounds. I've lost almost 200 pounds by almost dancing.

I did some Zumba; which helped me a lot with my energy. I am now doing some Belly Dancing; which helps my lower back become a little bit stronger. I also love to do some freestyle dancing as well, because I love to listen to my music in my room. The Just Dance games on the WII/WII U are really good they give you a great workout. Most of the WII Exercise Games can give you a workout.

Dancing is so much fun. It really gives you a workout to remember everyday.
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Swing! Its a lot of fun and great workout! I don't do it so much anymore because the group here that does it tends to go for more high impact stuff which kills my joints (also why I tried Zumba only once, lol)

Actually any style can be good and fun. I also do a couple old/traditional English dances - the country dancing is not high impact, and we have an extensive practice so still a good workout! I have a number of friends who enjoy contra dancing too. A lot of the regular dance groups will usually do a lesson then have open dancing afterwards which is great if you're just learning. If there is a college nearby see if they have any regular lessons on campus (a lot of the dance groups use this one building on a college campus where I'm at), or a community center may be hosting some.