Is it possible to gain 10 pounds in 4 days?

Options
I need some serious help. I'm going to go crazy!!! I was on a new eating plan were I was eating between 1400-1500 calories a day. I was doing very well. In a matter of 10 days I had lost 9 pounds. I know that seems like a lot but I have about 150 pounds to lose. On my 11th day I had to go on a trip for work. I was only gone for 1 day. But during that one day I had made some unhealthy eating choices. And when I returned home I continued to make bad eating choices. My scale reflects a 10 pound weight gain in 4 days. Is this possible?

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    No. It's water weight. Not fat. Drink a lot of water over the next couple days to flush out your system.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's probably all water..I gained 6 pounds over the weekend (lots of sodium). I worked out hard on Sunday and today and sweat my rear end off. All 6 pounds are gone now :)
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    yes, but it is unlikely to be fat.

I will give you example. I weigh 76.5 kg today (Monday), about the same as last Friday. I was racing on Sunday, so I consumed a lot of carbs for a 3 h. bike race. Before leaving home, I weighed 78.5 kg - thats about 4.5 lb. more.

Most of that is water. Glycogen (carbs) are stored with 4 molecules of water per molecule of carb. So weight is very sensitive to carb storage, which is easily mobilized unlike fat. Add extra sodium from the meals, water retention, etc. and it's easy to be 10 lb. heavier.

No need to freak out!
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Do you need to poop?
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    nope its water weight mostly....I gained 6 last week, however I was severely bloated from all the sodium I had...just get off the scale and workout, eat better..will fall back off..i mean you know logically unless you ate 35,000 calories in 4 days over your regular diet then you clearly didn't get 10 pounds..right?
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Not unless you ate an extra 35,000 calories more than normal in four days....so no, not likely at all.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I can breath easier now. I was going to drop my calories down and workout like crazy just to lose those extra 10 pounds I gained. After seeing all your response I will just get back on my eating plan and continue to work out as before. And of course drink lots of water ;) Thank you all again!
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Great article...Thank you!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Only if you're REALLY constipated!
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pure water weight. That happened to me every time I eat boiled seafood and some soups. Flush yourself out by drinling plenty of water.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible to gain ten pounds in four days - I did over thirty pounds in seven days.

BUT... It is all water weight. Don't worry about it. Your body weight can vary four pounds a DAY because of water and food transiting the gut.
  • trinity5703
    Options
    Its water.... and the cure for that is.... Drink Water!
    Same thing happens to me when I have pizza. I can gain 5-8 pounds overnight.