How much does good food cost?

Replies

• I spend about $75 dollars a week on grocerys for two people.

This includes Fruit and veggies some staples are

avocado $.60 ea
    bananas $.50 ea
    tomatoes $.80 lb
    Apples $1.29lb
    Strawberries (on sale right now) $1.74lb
    Salad kits $2.00 ea
    carrots 2lb bag $.99ea
    Broccoli $.99lb
    sweet potatoes/yams $1.50-$.99lb

Chicken (I buy from a bulk company at $1.89lb
    Ground beef $4.00lb (I buy 97/3)
    Sausage/chorizo $2-$4lb

Eggs $1.79doz
    cottage cheese $1.80 per 4 servings
    Yogurt (individual size) $.89-$1.00 ea
    butter $2.00lb
    Almond milk $2.50 on sale $3.00 regular

Canned beans -$.50 can
    Rice $2.00 bag

Pretty cheap where I live.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Hi,

I was wondering now and then why people complained about the costs of dieting..
    Now a new fried wrote that he has to pay 3 dollars for an apple?!?!?

Well, I really hope it is not like this everywhere...
    I live in Italy, and I lived in the UK, and the food is by no means as expensive as that...

So, my questions, out of curiosity... how much does "good" food cost where you live?
    Fresh fruit and vegs, chicken and pork meat, legumes, potatoes, rice...

Do you really find that eating healthy is more expensive than not?

This is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to people who want to lose weight, go on a diet, etc when they wonder about the high price of 'healthy food.

I have yo yo'd over the years. I am not proud of it, but it has happened. I master losing weight buy eating better, eating less and exercising. It is just maintaining that has killed me. I am giving it one more go around.

When people complain and say they cannot lose weight because it is too expensive...that is complete BS.

YOu can easily lose weight, and gain more $$ in your bank account. It really goes hand in hand. People dont need to go out and buy fancy "healty" food to lose weight.

When I lose weight I make $$$$$.
    I spend sooo much less on food. How? Because you eat less. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less fast food, much less drinks. much less eating out, much, much less $$ spend when you eat less/healthier

I don't know about where you live but in Hawaii, where I live, I without a doubt spend less when I grab fast food. Food is expensive, far more expensive than on the mainland, but fast food prices remain fairly consistent with what they are on the mainland.

That aside, not everyone who gains weight eats fast food so for some what you experience just isn't the case.
    I dont know about Hawaii, never been.
    My general point in this though when people complain that eating healthy and losing weight is just too expensive.
    Most people can go to the grocery and get a week's worth of food, even healthier food, and spend much less on food than those people who eat out often. The obesity epedemic for some many people also drains their pocket books with the high prices of eating out/ordering in.
    Case in point this past weekend. My wife just wanted to get breakfast for all of us at McDonalds or BK. $3-$4 a person it would cost. Instead I made some good breakfast, for a fraction of the cost, for the whole family.
    Same thing for dinner. Chicket breasts on the grill, vegetables and a side salad...bought it all at the local market and it came to much less than what you could really get at even a fast food restaurant.

My main point is this.....people who say they cannot lose weight because it is too expensive to buy healthy food are just full of it.

And again, that's not true everywhere. Hawaii is one of the poorest states in the union, people are often cramming 4 generations of a family into a 3 bedroom house and just barely getting by. In that situation spending a few bucks a person at BK is going to be cheaper than anything else.

That said, you can lose weight eating BK or McDonalds, so if the point to fast food as the reason they can't lose weight that's nonsense. They could certainly lose weight eating solely fast food if they were so inclined (And depending on location is may be cheaper than going to the grocery store.)

Just saying. I can get a burger and fries for 2 bucks. I can't buy anything in the grocery store for 2 bucks.

...well, a 20oz soda is about 1.50. I guess I could buy that.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hi,

I live in Italy, and I lived in the UK, and the food is by no means as expensive as that...

So, my questions, out of curiosity... how much does "good" food cost where you live?

This is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to people who want to lose weight, go on a diet, etc when they wonder about the high price of 'healthy food.

I have yo yo'd over the years. I am not proud of it, but it has happened. I master losing weight buy eating better, eating less and exercising. It is just maintaining that has killed me. I am giving it one more go around.

When people complain and say they cannot lose weight because it is too expensive...that is complete BS.

YOu can easily lose weight, and gain more $$ in your bank account. It really goes hand in hand. People dont need to go out and buy fancy "healty" food to lose weight.

I spend sooo much less on food. How? Because you eat less. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less fast food, much less drinks. much less eating out, much, much less $$ spend when you eat less/healthier

I don't know about where you live but in Hawaii, where I live, I without a doubt spend less when I grab fast food. Food is expensive, far more expensive than on the mainland, but fast food prices remain fairly consistent with what they are on the mainland.

That aside, not everyone who gains weight eats fast food so for some what you experience just isn't the case.
    My general point in this though when people complain that eating healthy and losing weight is just too expensive.
    Most people can go to the grocery and get a week's worth of food, even healthier food, and spend much less on food than those people who eat out often. The obesity epedemic for some many people also drains their pocket books with the high prices of eating out/ordering in.
    Case in point this past weekend. My wife just wanted to get breakfast for all of us at McDonalds or BK. $3-$4 a person it would cost. Instead I made some good breakfast, for a fraction of the cost, for the whole family.
    Same thing for dinner. Chicket breasts on the grill, vegetables and a side salad...bought it all at the local market and it came to much less than what you could really get at even a fast food restaurant.

My main point is this.....people who say they cannot lose weight because it is too expensive to buy healthy food are just full of it.

Well yeah, since you can eat any sort of food and lose weight.

Exactly. People think to lose weight they need to buy all this organic stuff, gluten free, etc etc etc. The main point is eating less calories then you need. Basic principle. By the simple fact of eating less calories you are going to eat less food and in turn you will fin dmore $$ in your pockets...even if you are eating non 'diet' food.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    We are a family of four, two adults, and 2 young children. We eat as cheap and as healthy as possible, with treats and salty snacks mixed in. We dont make much money, so costs do matter to us.

I shop my store's sale flyer, and I live very rurally, with one grocery store, and one dollar store as our food options in town.

I spend 70ish dollars a week, on a regular basis. I do buy meat from a hunter once a year, and I also go to costco once a month to buy specialty items. That is about a 70 dollar trip.

I dont spend as little as some, but I think I get good quality/health value for my dollar.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hi,

And again, that's not true everywhere. Hawaii is one of the poorest states in the union, people are often cramming 4 generations of a family into a 3 bedroom house and just barely getting by. In that situation spending a few bucks a person at BK is going to be cheaper than anything else.

That said, you can lose weight eating BK or McDonalds, so if the point to fast food as the reason they can't lose weight that's nonsense. They could certainly lose weight eating solely fast food if they were so inclined (And depending on location is may be cheaper than going to the grocery store.)

Sure, you can lose weight by eating at Bk or McDonalds. That is 100% true.

But you know how you do it?

Eat less.

Eat less = spending less = losing weight isnt too expensive.
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    I am in Central Canada (Saskatchewan -- say it three times fast) and healthy or unhealthy it is expensive. Because of how long and harsh our winters are the summer growing season is quite short. So about 90% of food is imported here both junk and non-junk. I do tend to buy product in bulk at Costco and package at home for cost savings. I know someone suggested Wal-Mart, but I will barely purchase meat at Safeway because of quality much less a discount chain. In the city I live in it is well no that the best meats are found at Costco and a local chain Co-op Marketplace. The best fresh produce is at Safeway and Sobeys (another Canadian chain). For all canned and dry goods most people go to a Loblaws location since it is cheap.
    The exact cost of what I spend per week is unknown since I go to certain places for certain things over a few months (meat and frozen/dry goods) or weekly for fresh produce. But I would average it out to be $100 - $150 for three adults per week. But I have never truly done the math.
    I should mention that costs here are going up dramatically as Saskatchewan was the only province or state in North America that no recession whatsoever and our economy is booming.
  • EandA85
    EandA85 Posts: 63 Member
    If I'm not buying organic I can do groceries for a family of 4 (including a bottomless 10 year old boy) on about $130-150/week. If I buy organic meat/ fruits/veggies it is closer to $200/week. I'm in the NE US
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Hi,

Exactly. People think to lose weight they need to buy all this organic stuff, gluten free, etc etc etc. The main point is eating less calories then you need. Basic principle. By the simple fact of eating less calories you are going to eat less food and in turn you will fin dmore $$ in your pockets...even if you are eating non 'diet' food.

Not really, all depends on what you're buying. If i decide to start buying dry aged ribeyes, caviar etc while dieting, my food costs will be higher than when I'm not.

and for me personally I spend $200+ easily on groceries for myself a week
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Eating healthy is CHEAPER than eating poorly. Rice and beans are incredibly cheap. Vegetables are free for half of the year, due to gardening. Fruit can be pricey off season, but it's cheap in the summer. In America, we are spoiled. We have such great distribution networks bringing produce from South and Central America. Our produce is some of the least expensive in the world.

Around here, a fruit tree costs about $25US. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Eating healthy is not cheaper than eating crap. Fresh fruit and vegetables, when not from your garden, cost a lot more than cheetos and mac and cheese. I just bought 3 large Mt. Rainier something something crisp apples and they were over 8 dollars. They are not organic but they are still firm and juicy. We live in Northern Virginia and I must say that food prices here are higher than I have seen in other parts of the country.
  • Achrya
    Hi,

Sure, you can lose weight by eating at Bk or McDonalds. That is 100% true.

But you know how you do it?

Eat less.

Eat less = spending less = losing weight isnt too expensive.

Losing weight isn't expensive, no. I believe I actually said as much. Changing ones food habits to so called 'healthy food' can certainly be expensive. Which is the argument being posed in this thread, is it not? Was that not while you told me that you could have chicken, veg, and a salad for less than you'd pay for fast food, because you're saying it's cheaper to eat healthy at home than to eat out?

Or was that just a fun anecdote for the sake of things?
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I cook a lot of whole chickens, we can cook that with a bag of organic carrots, an onion, for about $7 with tax.

I make a lot of pork and chicken carnitas, with lettuce wraps. I make 5-6 lb in bulk and we can eat it all week.

I gotta watch out for my boyfriend though, I've seen him put away pounds of meat in one setting!

Drink a lot of tea.

I do buy the grass fed organic beef at $3.99/lb as a treat sometimes, but I normally aim for meats with no chemicals added, not processed, whole cuts.

I mix organic and non-organic veggies, simply as a matter of budget.

My daughter gets free school lunches, and I eat almost exclusively leftovers, so the only real cost I incur is the cost of dinners and the little snacks I get her for after school.

I'm the queen of saving money on food. No coupons, just buying in bulk when stuff is on sale.

I only make $11.50/hr, no assistance (actually make to much to qualify) so I consider wasting money on food kind of "pooping it away" (gross, I know, sorry!) but it's important to me follow my particular diet, so I literally make sport of reducing those food bills, shopping for sales as stress relief, scanning the food ads, developing affordable recipes the family loves, etc...
  • Achrya
    Hi,

And yet my food bill doubled. I don't eat organic, gluten free, and I rarely even buy fresh fruit and veg (I opt for frozen) and yet my bill went up (and that's factoring in trips out to eat.)
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    I hear this comment often of "Oh I can't eat that way, it's too expensive..." all while they're ordering a large pizza and a double order of wings at a cost of $30 plus delivery!! Imagine doing that once a week, the drive thru once a week, dining out at a restaurant once a week with co-workers, or hitting up a coffee shop twice a week...yeah those things equally add up BUT you don't see it come out of your account at one time, it's spread throughout the week's expense.

I did this whole analysis of my own eating, dining, and spending habits and found that I spend LESS, eating healthier, buying fresh produce, eating organic foods than I did when I was living the drive-thru dream and indulging on the foods I thought were cheaper! With my changed eating habits, I found myself packing for my meals, buying (the initial cost can get you if you buy them all at once) BPA free storage containers for my lunches, carrying a BPA free water bottle instead of BUYING bottled water (which is a whole different story), and making all my meals at home. I also have more control over my portions and my calorie counts. Yes, we do occasionally go out to eat for those days we don't want to cook dinner or need that time away from home but for the most part we eat at home now.

So to say that the good stuff costs more, is really just an excuse, that's what I say...
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    I cook a lot of whole chickens, we can cook that with a bag of organic carrots, an onion, for about $7 with tax.

I make a lot of pork and chicken carnitas, with lettuce wraps. I make 5-6 lb in bulk and we can eat it all week.

I gotta watch out for my boyfriend though, I've seen him put away pounds of meat in one setting!

Drink a lot of tea.

I do buy the grass fed organic beef at $3.99/lb as a treat sometimes, but I normally aim for meats with no chemicals added, not processed, whole cuts.

I mix organic and non-organic veggies, simply as a matter of budget.

My daughter gets free school lunches, and I eat almost exclusively leftovers, so the only real cost I incur is the cost of dinners and the little snacks I get her for after school.

I'm the queen of saving money on food. No coupons, just buying in bulk when stuff is on sale.

I only make $11.50/hr, no assistance (actually make to much to qualify) so I consider wasting money on food kind of "pooping it away" (gross, I know, sorry!) but it's important to me follow my particular diet, so I literally make sport of reducing those food bills, shopping for sales as stress relief, scanning the food ads, developing affordable recipes the family loves, etc...
    I am really impressed by your frugality. No joke, you should write a book. I need to find some ways to cut down our bill. When I first drew up a budget I had no idea how much food in the US would cost, after living overseas for 10 years, so I budgeted 800 dollars a month.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    We are in a rural part of Canada, food is extremely expensive here due to the cost of transport I would imagine. it is almost cheaper to eat takeout everyday. It's not uncommon for my husband and I to spend $1200-$1300/mo for the two of us. :grumble:

That being said I could drive 2 hours into town (one way) and do my shopping there, but it's not much cheaper. The gas I would spend would out weight the saving in food.

Edit for Spelling
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    $3 an apple? Maybe from a coffee shop that offers it. I get a bushel of apples for $3 here.

I get any and all fresh produce from local markets, so I never spend more than $10-15 for produce that would last 1-2 weeks for two people. Otherwise, frozen veggies are cheap. I just stocked up yesterday with some for $1 a bag.

Meat, I subsist almost always on "Manager's Specials" and go weekly for meat. A whole chicken costs ~$5. Fish can be cheap if you go for sales, and I'll buy smelt from a fish monger maybe once a month for $5-6 for more than a pound.

However, prices are super subjective to where you live, particularly within the huge expanse of the US. Avocadoes in California don't cost as much as they do here in Michigan, but I don't know if California gets as good of prices on apples or beets.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I'm sure Hawaii and the coasts are different, I'm located in Norman, OK, in the middle of the heartland, notorious for it's extremely low cost of living. (Ironically, also low wages to accompany it!)
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Eating healthy is CHEAPER than eating poorly. Rice and beans are incredibly cheap. Vegetables are free for half of the year, due to gardening. Fruit can be pricey off season, but it's cheap in the summer. In America, we are spoiled. We have such great distribution networks bringing produce from South and Central America. Our produce is some of the least expensive in the world.

Around here, a fruit tree costs about $25US. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Eating healthy is not cheaper than eating crap. Fresh fruit and vegetables, when not from your garden, cost a lot more than cheetos and mac and cheese. I just bought 3 large Mt. Rainier something something crisp apples and they were over 8 dollars. They are not organic but they are still firm and juicy. We live in Northern Virginia and I must say that food prices here are higher than I have seen in other parts of the country.

Ya'll need to shop at Trader Joe's or something, where you buying groceries Byerly's?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    It is CHEAPER to buy fresh vegetables and cook them yourself than to buy packaged and processed stuff; besides, canned vegetables are uniformly horrid and frozen better, but nowhere near as good as fresh. As for meat, same deal, it's far healthier to cook from scratch than buy processed or prepared food and costs less.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    It's variable.:bigsmile: