Where do u grocery shop and why?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I get my produce from the farmer's market & my garden, I grow my own meat, and the rest comes from Bi-Lo because it is on the way home from work. Oh and Trader Joe's for coffee and other yumminess.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Shop Rite, CoOp in town, Hannaford. Never Walmart's, I don't care how much I save.
  • thanson563
    thanson563 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    90% of our grocery's at Hannaford (grocery chain) and like 10% at a big health food store in the city. Basically we go to the health food store for our snack run and buy like $20 worth of trail mix and some chocolate covered nuts (YUM!).

Forgot to include why. We shop at Hannaford because it's on the way home from work. Otherwise I'd probably shop at Wal-Mart for groceries but it's out of the way.

I was starting to think I was the only Hannaford shopper here! I go there because it's convenient and I know where everything is.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Adam's Fairacre farms... usually has a lot of local produce and their prices are fair. Or Stop and Shop which is right on my way home from work. The gas rewards are pretty nice.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Publix - they're about 3 miles from my house and you can't beat the customer service. Sam's for paper goods and a few odds and ends.
    The Fresh Market and Trader Joe's for a few specialty items, which means a three-hour round trip to Tallahassee.

We also go to the farmer's market during the summer for local fruits and veggies.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Everywhere. Safeway, Costco, Lucky, Sprouts, Whole Foods, a couple farmer's markets, Marina Food, Ranch 99, etc....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I shop where it's inexpensive- stress free- safe and close/convenient.

which means MOSTLY shop rite.

I used to drive 5 miles past the local Shop Rite- to go to the super walmart- I do 90% of my shopping at 1030 or 11 PM_ any place that feels unsavory to me I do not frequent.

I hate wegmans- too stressful- but I will go if it's on my way or near me and I'm in the area.

I'd love to bulk shop- or go to a local butcher- but I am very busy and doing that is an extra step- not sure it's worth my time.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I get everything I can at Aldi (produce, condiments, snacks, frozen veggies/fruit, toiletries) and go to Walmart for the rest.

Where I live, our choices are Walmart, Aldi and Giant Eagle....and Giant Eagle is a rip off. Nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away. The joys of living in crapstown, PA.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Mostly Walmart, Target, and Safeway. I find better fruits and veggies at Safeway, and sometimes Target is just easier to go to than Walmart. When I have to buy a lot of stuff, I do Walmart though since it's just cheaper. I live in a smaller city so there's not a ton of options unfortunately.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Air Force, so I do most of my shopping at the base commissary because they sell stuff at cost. They aren't known for their produce freshness/selection, nor do they get new products quickly, so I get most of that stuff at Meijer, Dorothy Lane Market, and Trader Joe's. And Target for Mello Yello Zero because they are the only place in my area that sells it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do the same as the OP only different stores.

WalMart is my first stop for weekend shopping - pick up cleaning supplies and all the items that are cheaper or easier to find there. The only meat I buy at Wally World is semi cooked things like ham, keilbasa and deli meat. I made the mistake of getting pork chops and chicken breast there..it probably would've been safe to eat but the colortexture of the meat looked off (like it had been frozen and thawed several times) so I didn't dare. I'll buy some produce there but only if it looks really fresh.

I mostly shop at Hannaford for everything else - produce, meat and their brand of paper goods, etc. I'll buy meats at Shaws now and then if they're having a particularly good sale. In the summer when we BBQ a lot, I go to a local market (Bourque's) for steaks, ground beef and pork chops. Their chicken is ok but I tend to steer clear - seeing it sitting in a big tray in its own juices just turns me off.

Thankfully none of these stores is more than a couple miles from my house so it's not inconvenient to hit more than 2 a week if the mood hits me. :)
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    aldi for the bulk of it, then price chopper. i only have 100 bucks to feed 6 people.
  • The_Iron_Beast
    Options
    Woodmans for their large selection and prices.
    Pick n Save for produce mostly.
    Piggly Wiggly for the random item or two since it is a block and a half away.
    Farmers markets when in season for fresh local cheap produce.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Adam's Fairacre farms... usually has a lot of local produce and their prices are fair. Or Stop and Shop which is right on my way home from work. The gas rewards are pretty nice.

LOVE adams! i always forge to check their sale flier though.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The cheapest places possible because no monies.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Most of my shopping during the winter/early spring I do at Shoppers. It's not the closest grocery store but it has the largest selection of fresh produce (except for Giant which is markedly more expensive). It also has a very large international section which I enjoy. Their meat selection is also noticeably fresher than Food Lion (the closest store to me).

I buy some non-perishables and all cleaning supplies from Wal-Mart.

When the Farmer's Market opens, I drive about 30 minutes out of my way to shop there. I find the Amish price their produce much more favorably and I LOVE getting eggs from them.

ETA: I also stop by Food Lion for little things but mostly when I'm pressed for time as it's less than 5 minutes from my house and in the same plaza as my gym.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Sam's Club, Walmart, Bi-Lo, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Publix... in that order. The first 3 because they have cheap staples and the last 3 because of specialty items they carry.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Costco.
    First the prices, Cannot beat wholesale
    Quality: there's a huge selection of organic foods and they get grade A meats
    Bulk: I only eat at home so I buy in bulk and only have to shop once a week
  • maryv83
    maryv83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get the majority of my groceries from Publix. I'm in Florida, so it's either Publix, Winn Dixie or Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart isn't very close to me and their selection isn't that great.

I spend a little more money at Publix, but they always have a huge selection produce and there meat is always on sale.

If I'm looking for speciality items, such as flax seeds or nuts, coconut flakes, etc - I shop at the Fresh Market now. I just learned that they are much cheaper than a regular grocery store for these items.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Kroger, Marsh, or the local hippie co-op. Where I shop partly depends mainly on what I'm looking for on a given day.