Running a race by yourself

Options
13»

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this! I am going to be running a 5K by myself later this month. My husband and running friend have to work and I have no one else to come with me so I'm doing it alone!
  • RachelFrost1
    RachelFrost1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always run by myself and there are lots of other people that do too. The nervousness will go away as soon as you start running.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Most of the races I've done, I've run alone. I might have started out with friends, but our paces differ. My husband and I almost never run together because he's so much faster than me. I want him to get his best time while I try for mine. "Run your own race" - I'm a big fan of that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've done two by myself on purpose and ended up on my own in two other races - started with a friend but they were faster so I told them to go ahead.

While it can be a bit intimidating when you're on your own, it can also be fun if you're into small talk with strangers and people watching. I've heard hilarious snippets of conversations and ended up becoming temporary running buddies with people who were about my same level. I sometimes pass the time by competing with people in my head - like I'll see someone who passed me and is now walking so I'll pass them and try to stay ahead of them.

I know it's easier said than done but don't worry about it. Just have fun and do your best!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Try running one where you're the only one that shows up, and you run anyway.

You're not alone. There will be lots of people there. I've made good friends at the post race food parties.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've done it several times. Good place to meet new people-you already share an interest.

BTW, if you've never run a road race before, get ready for a surprise. In my first, I ran :30 secs per mile faster than my training pace. Must have been the excitement or something.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I run them by myself. I even like training by myself. I like the ability to zone out, focus on my time, my speed, my path, whatever. Running is a time for me to clear my head and de-stress. I don't want to have to worry about someone else's pace, etc. I've had friends run the same race as me, but we all lined up on our own and ran our own race. We saw each other before and after.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon by myself this weekend. In fact, I think every race I've ever run as an adult has been without a running partner. I think of running as a solo activity, anyway. Listen to music that gets you pumped up and just pound the pavement. Nobody will look at you funny. I promise. Even though I run races alone, I usually end up chatting with people before and during the race. Have fun!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Out of dozens of races, I've only run "with" a friend a few times, when we both had similar goals, or when they were slower than me and I was just pacing for them. One time I had a faster friend pace for me, which led to a huge PR!

But normally, even if I show up with a friend, the rule is that each of us runs his / her own race. There's plenty of time for chitchat before and after the race.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've done it several times. Good place to meet new people-you already share an interest.

BTW, if you've never run a road race before, get ready for a surprise. In my first, I ran :30 secs per mile faster than my training pace. Must have been the excitement or something.

I generally run faster in a race than in training. I do think it's the adrenaline from racing that causes it. I always push myself in training to at least match my last race time/pace because then I know I'm likely to see improvement in the next race! :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

That's a good thing. If your training pace is faster than your race pace, you're doing it wrong.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have not run a race by myself on purpose. Meaning that there have been some races that I did with my husband but ended up taking off on him mid-race lol.

However I am thinking of doing a half marathon this year (I did one in 2009) which if I do it I will be participating alone since my husband doesn't want to do another one. I am also doing a Du in May and if I like there is another one I want to do in July which I might be doing alone as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I run every one alone.

It's the only way I can win.
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Unlike all of the other commenters - I have NEVER run a race alone. I've run two with my husband (my husband who ran track in high school and spent 8 years in the military) I feel like I am dragging him down. I am more of a Phoebe runner (you know, from Friends) lol, but he does motivate me to keep going which I love. The other race I ran was a glow race with my bestie, she actually didn't run as much as I did and like someone else mentioned (anchor) but it was fun to have someone finish a goal with you. On the other hand, I have signed up for 3 this year. One may be alone and this is my first time. I kind of suffer from social anxiety and I don't do well in large crowds without support (crazy, I know). One race I will be running with my 13 year old, which will be interesting. LOL!

Haha I feel you on the Phoebe runner! I am always wondering if I'm running "right" lol. A few of my fb friends run and they're always posting pictures with friends at the end of the race. I don't mind running alone (I do it everyday to train), but I might feel funny if the race ends and I just get in my car and drive off while everyone else celebrates with friends/family.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I've done it a bunch of times. Even when I'm at a race where my team has a bunch of members, I often end up running alone, if I'm trying to hit a time. I wouldn't stress it. Just have fun!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've run 5ks and half marathons by myself many, many times. There are tons of people around, so you can "buddy up" (silently or you can ask). But I also train by myself, so it's like my regular runs... just with a lot of people I can try to pass! Running alone in a race pumps me up, because I'm the only one who can hold myself back, so I get mentally competitive with the clock, and being around so many other runners keeps me from walking. Just go to the race, have fun, and run run run!