On a plateau. Need help to get off/over it.

Options
Any tips on how to get over a plateau? I have been sitting more during this spring break and fear the weight I've lost will come rushing back. But it also seems like I have hit a wall. I am trying to focus on five pound increments, but it seems like I can't get those five pounds to stay off! Five pounds for me is the difference between sizes, so I would like to stop feeling like a yo-yo and just get down to 170 so I can start focusing on getting down to 165 and then 160, etc. My goal is 150, and it seems so far away! Help!!

Replies

• sharonrrauton
    sharonrrauton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am in the same palce you are!!! I have lost 74 lbs since June 2013, I started out at 257 and now Im at 183, and now Im stuck. My goal is to get to 170 but the scales are not moving any longer. I would like to know what to do as well.
  • alisonekenny
    alisonekenny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I definitely hear you... I had the hardest time shedding some post-wedding lbs. It was super depressing. My struggles stemmed from my busy schedule, too.... I'm a teacher. I've been doing T-25 now for about 11 weeks, though, and it's been HUGE for me. Ever heard of it?
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Stop eating at maintenance.

Rigger
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's start with a question. How long have you been stalled? Has it been a couple weeks or a couple months? The answer to thess questions will make all the difference inthe answers you get.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Keep logging with a reasonable deficit and be patient.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated the calories you need to lose since dropping in weight? E.g. if you started at 200+ and are still eating those calories, it may be too much.

eta: I noticed you said you've been sitting more, are you eating the calories you ate while being more active? That may need adjusting too.

eta2: If you open your diary you'll get more diverse answers too, there may be something you're eating with the incorrect calorie count that's throwing you off.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would agree T25 can help. I did both T25 followed by P90x3.

My husband was stuck on a plateau for almost 2 years. He had dropped 85 lbs which was awesome but then came to a standstill. What finally worked for him was to actually decrease his protein and increase his healthy fat. (coconut oil, avocados etc. )
    It seems in some people too much protein can convert to glucose in your system. Gluconeogenesis.

Quick def: but you can look it up: Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as pyruvate, lactate, glycerol, glucogenic amino acids, and fatty acids (both even-chain and odd-chain).

He actually monitored as stayed under 100g of protein (per Dr. recommendation) He was 235 and is now 215 at 6'0". Now 25 may not seem like a lot for a guy his size but after 2 years of being stuck between 230 and 235 it was awesome.

You need to log your food to keep track as there are amazingly a huge amounts of food with protein in them. He did not care about calories just 100g of protein and increase of healthy fats. Because fat is so satiating it is almost impossible to over eat.

The aim was to stay in a mild to mid ketogenic state. He tested his blood sugar and ketones every morning and we did note on the days he went over (barbeque night) he would drop out of ketosis.

This was hard for us to come to grips with as we have been low carb for years and figured we could have all the meat we wanted. :(

This may not work for everyone but it's something to think about and perhaps give it a try. Our Dr. said to just eat .4grams of protein per lb of body weight. So if you 175 it would be 70 grams. 200 would be 80 etc. Just a thought.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated the calories you need to lose since dropping in weight? E.g. if you started at 200+ and are still eating those calories, it may be too much.

eta: I noticed you said you've been sitting more, are you eating the calories you ate while being more active? That may need adjusting too.

eta2: If you open your diary you'll get more diverse answers too, there may be something you're eating with the incorrect calorie count that's throwing you off.
    This!

Also - are you taking measurements as well as stepping on the scale? How long have you been "stuck"? My scale numbers didn't change for about six months a couple of years go, but during that time I dropped a full pants size. Tape measure is a better way to see progress than the scale. :smile:

Make sure you are being as accurate as possible with your food entries. Weigh and measure everything whenever possible (get a food scale if you don't have one!).
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Stop eating at maintenance.

Rigger

Its as simple as this, barring any medical issues if you are not losing weight then you are not eating at a deficit, somewhere the calculations are off.
  • flash430
    flash430 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I just read your post about reducing the protein intake. I've been doing herbalife and maintaing 1200 calories for the last 73 days and have lost 9 pounds. I know doesn't sound like much but I don't have much to loose just want to get in better shape. My husband is trying to lose and thought I would help. I've been stuck for the last 4 weeks and am getting frustrated. My protein intake right now is about 45g maybe I will try reducing it after reading this.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's start with a question. How long have you been stalled? Has it been a couple weeks or a couple months? The answer to thess questions will make all the difference inthe answers you get.

I have been stuck since January, so 4 months. I have my calories set at 1200, and I try to have a deficit, but it hasn't been working lately because I get hungry in the middle of the afternoon and end up overeating and snacking. I have tried to change the snacks to healthy food, like a salad or celery and peanut butter, but they are not as filling. I am trying to find a balance between high protein and high fiber to keep me full.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I did not think about doing this. Great idea! I will try that now! I will also try to figure out how to open my diary to get better answers.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest recommendation for women - and its quite likely you need more. (Especially since you're hungry when trying to eat at 1200.) Other than taking things easy over spring break, have you done anything recently to make changes in your fitness agenda? Change is good. Trying something new, and increasing your calorie intake could be a great combination.

How active are you? What calorie level does MFP recommend?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I did not think about doing this. Great idea! I will try that now! I will also try to figure out how to open my diary to get better answers.

You can open your diary by going to Settings at the top of the page. Then choose Diary Settings > Public > Save Changes.

To point you in the right direction, these are three threads that I really think anyone new to the boards should read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide