Do you log these things?

Options
I was just curious whether most people logged these things or not...

Gum
Vitamins
Lemon or lime juice (like in water or over chicken/salad/tacos/etc)
Water flavoring packets
Seasonings (some are calorie-free, but most have sodium and a couple carbs)
Marinade

MY ANSWER: I don't log gum. I've never logged my multi-vitamin, but I plan on starting (10 calories/day). I don't typically use lemon or lime juice, so I can't say. I don't use flavor packets usually, but I've never logged them in the past. There are a few seasonings I log, like cinnamon in my oatmeal or my homemade taco seasoning, but I don't usually put in seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc. I do log marinade if I marinate meat, but I just estimate it as 2 tbsp of the marinade itself.

Can you think of other things like this that people may not think to log?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do a ton of the Crystal Light drink mixes but one pack that is supposed to be for one bottle takes me 5 bottles to use up. I don't like sweet water.

But no, I don't log anything that is under 10 calories like seasoning, vitamins, flavor packets, etc.

Marinades usually contain higher calories and I do log them at times.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, it goes in the diary. (At least, when I was in the "losing" stage)
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I log everything, literally. even if its 5 calories/tablespoon for seasoning on my burgers.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'll log marinade, because sometimes those calories can add up quickly.
    But everything else, no. I usually leave a lot of wiggle room in my calories for things I don't log or things that I don't trust the logging for. My calorie goal is 1700, but I don't like to go above 1650, just to be safe.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't log the drinks, gum or lemon juice (as long as it's 10 calories or less) only because I don't know how many calories I burn in exercise, so I pretend it's none, and presume it's enough to cover my excess gum/drinks because I still lose weight. If I stall, I'll start counting them.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't log dried or fresh herbs and things, but I was unpleasantly surprised to find out the amount of calories tamari and soy sauce has. It's worth watching out for stuff like that.
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually don't worry about a few things under 10 calories either. So, mustard, no, ketchup, sometimes, mayo always. I want to succeed in the long term and don't want to feel like I've failed if I haven't logged every little thing.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything... My pre-workout has 0 calories, k-cups have 5, pickles have 0.... I still log it.
    Everything is usually in my recent foods, so it's not much more time out of my day just to do it.
  • AMV167
    AMV167 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log gum, vitamins, oil, lemon juice and all vegetables even if they're under 10 calories. The only thing I don't log is small amounts of seasoning used like basil/oregano/etc. It helps keep myself in the habit of being cognizent of every little thing I eat and it gives me more accurate graphs for nutrition, etc. (that's actually how I noticed I wasn't getting enough iron in my diet and far too much vitamin C)

Does anyone know how much vitamin C is too much by the way? I usually average 150%+ on a daily basis.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    flavoring packets i tend to add to tea so i usually log it as tea since the flavor isnt supposed to add calories.

i do log lemon juice and sriracha and soy sauce

i do not log spices or pepper, but i log fresh peppers, homemade condiments like chimichurri (its mostly parsley and vinegar)

i dont eat gum and ive been avoiding sugar but the few desserts ive had ive tried logging but its hard to find anyting in mfp that matches them exactly (theyve been mexican and asian pastries mostly) so its been approximate

i dont take vitamins

marinade hasnt come up much though for baked tofu i think i would since its olive oil and soy sauce.

oil is tricky though... havent been sure how to account for an oily pan i cook gimme lean on. (i try not add oil but it needs something so the food wont stick to the pan... but it obviously adds cals and fat) i bake if i can avoid frying for this reason.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything... My pre-workout has 0 calories, k-cups have 5, pickles have 0.... I still log it.
    Everything is usually in my recent foods, so it's not much more time out of my day just to do it.

your pre-workout is zero calories? Mind sharing what that is?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything if I know the calories. I have no idea for seasoning as it's not on the boxes.
  • lysslax
    lysslax Posts: 64
    Options
    I log everything. Even things like herbs. I know they don't add up very fast, but I think I'm obsessive about my numbers being accurate. I rarely ever chew gum, but if I do I log it. I'll log lemon and lime juice, because I like to track all of my nutrients. That's actually why I track everything (Even if its 0-5 calories). Something like soy sauce is ESPECIALLY important because of the sodium. It may be 5-10 calories but it will set back your weight loss if you're retaining water from too much sodium!

23724452.png
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    yes
    i log everything
    even spices
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Ohhhh, what pickles do you buy? The ones I buy are 5-10 for a spear, depending on the brand. I'd love to have an unlimited amount of pickles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ME THREE!!! I wanted pickles so bad the other day- had to walk by them knowing they wouldn't do so well for my cutting.

I don't log a lot of stuff- but I am a big food over-estimator and workout- under estimator- specifically so I do not HAVE to log things I don't want to.

All my veggies are sauted in butter- or bacon renderings. I do not log this.
    My steamable veggies get a small dollop of butter- garlic salt and some pepper- I just log the veggies.

marinades- that adds up A LOT- my bf cooks with quiet a bit of butter and seasonings- so I always leave a buffer on BF cooking days.

I don't drink flavored water things often- but I definitely don't count them either.
  • breahremington
    Options
    i log just about everything- condiments, gum, tea, crystal lights...i think the only thing i don't log are dry spices such as oregeno, basil, paprika, etc.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I logged EVERYTHING for the first few months until I knew what was what.

Then I reduced my calorie goal 50 below where I really wanted it and cut myself some slack for that tiny stuff.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I log everything because I like to see the difference in my body functions...
    Everything with sodium I log,
    also any seasonings or any supplements I take.
    Then I can look back if I have a bad day and see what I did on a good day, or the other way around and see EXACTLY what I did.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I try to post everything, but some days I let those little things slide.