Does Ice Water Burn Calories?

Options
I've heard different people talking about drinking ice water to burn extra calories, so I thought I'ld see if I could find out the answer. Here it is!

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54270/does-drinking-ice-water-burn-calories/

Replies

• HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Woo hoo! Based on the math, I just burned 16 more calories! No, it's not much that we burn when drinking ice water, but I figure every little bit counts. So, why not?
  • Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Every little bit helps!!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication? I guess I have more reading to do now.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yes and also workout out in the cold. So wear your tshirt (no cotton tho) and go jogging
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Water intoxication? I guess I have more reading to do now.

It's a true thing. It's pretty nasty actually. We had a local radio station do a contest a few years back that required the participants to drink the most water without going to the bathroom. Sadly, this resulted in the death of a young woman who left behind her husband and children.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    While drinking ice cold water does have a thermogenic effect and burns calories, it is really VERY small. It's so negligible that it's not even worth trying to count on MFP. I take it as one of those "could be true" urban legends, cause while technically true, if we eat a slightly larger apple than we put on our log it totally negates the ice. :flowerforyou:

But I say as long as you are drinking water, better make it cold cause it's just more refreshing that way. :bigsmile:
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    Probably minimal but evey calorie counts and if it makes you drink more water then it has other health benefits as well so drink up
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This just stinks. I hate cold water. It has to be room temp for me to want to drink it. I've also heard that it's better for you to drink warm water, but I don't remember the theory behind it. Not to mention I'm constantly freezing.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This just stinks. I hate cold water. It has to be room temp for me to want to drink it. I've also heard that it's better for you to drink warm water, but I don't remember the theory behind it. Not to mention I'm constantly freezing.

Like I said before, it doesn't have to be cold...the ice cold water "burn" is so dang small nobody will really notice it. It's basically just something for people to feel good about themselves when they toss ice in their water and think they just ran a marathon when it comes to burning calories. :bigsmile: If you like warm water better, go for it!!! The real benefit is in the water itself, not the temperature you drink it at. :flowerforyou: